alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Fence post  (Read 19465 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Fence post
« on: November 03, 2015, 10:49:07 PM »
I was cruising the Oregon State University web site and came across a report about there "Post Farm" where they put post in the ground treated and untreated to see how long they last.

This statement really stands out:

With the exception of redwood, most of the exotics are rare or generally unavailable as posts. Among the latter is the spectacularly durable Osage-orange (series 32), which has been in test for 63 yr without failure.

Here's the web address if interested:  http://juniper.oregonstate.edu/bibliography/documents/phpKKcnVf_post-farm.pdf

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Fence post
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 05:32:29 AM »
Interesting read.  I have heard of Osage orange from other parts of the country but have no idea what the tree looks like.  Will have to look up more info on it and learn more.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 05:58:40 AM »
I would bet I have over 150 logs of Osage in my log yard right now. 

We pulled fence posts off my Grandfathers place that were put in the ground over 100 years ago and they are solid as they were the day they were put in the ground. 

It is a very dense wood.  I cut most of mine for guitars and snare drums.  They LOVE the stuff. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 12:31:59 PM »
If I had trees like that I'd consider my fortune made!

Next time you come to the left coast Kirk just bring along a truck load or two.  I'll pay your gas! lol
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:09:46 PM »
I agree with Stevem.  If you make it to the PNW a nice load of that hardwood would be nice to have.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 10:23:58 AM »
wow !! i never thought osage got that big
 kirk  nice looking table  the thing i wish i could get back from the foresrty forum was all my time i spent/wasted and being bullied my mr. large and in charge >:(
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 07:48:42 PM »
Rest assured, wont happen here!

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »
that's good to know! i plan on sticking around  :)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »
And you will never see the sickening semi annual call for donations to support the site.  Our google adds pay for the server cost and domain fee every year.

I think last year we actually had about $15.00 left over after expenses, all paid from add clicks.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 12:54:18 PM »
There is no support of the site. ::)  It is support of his life.  From what I understand he uses the site as his primary source of income that and disability payments.  

Of course I could be misinformed but that is what I was told by other participants on the other site that had been there a long time and knew more of what was really going on.  It is a cult and if you are not part of the cult leadership and if you break a cult rule then you are "shunned".  Just recently in my perusing of the site one the moderators (not a paid advertiser) put up a link to his own web site advertising a product.  If a normal member had done that the link would have been removed and they would have been "warned"  :police:  But no it was allowed as they were and are special. ::)

Kirk I have never understood the "ad click" payment scheme.  If there is any ad on the site and I click it then the site gets some number of pennies per click.  Then it is to the site benefit to click on the ads here so the pennies mount up?

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 03:09:30 PM »
most adds have a click fee that the site receives when clicked.  We CAN NOT promote clicking on them as that is a violation of the policy so please understand I am not asking anyone to click. 

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 06:05:07 PM »
we should be able to openly discuss the good and bad about a product without fear of "offending" a sponsor.sponsors need to be reminded that sometimes a part or product isn't all roses.
 i learned real quick on the f.forum you cant' give someone your working opinoin of a product,this particular issue was a member asked for pros and cons of a certain sawmill maker,well my first hand experiance wasn't real good ... boy i lost a few pounds of butt there >:(
 its really sad when the owner has his panhandle out all the time ,like the rest of us if your income isnt enough work more.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 07:16:47 PM »
most adds have a click fee that the site receives when clicked.  We CAN NOT promote clicking on them as that is a violation of the policy so please understand I am not asking anyone to click. 

Understood.  Makes sense I just did not understand exactly how it was structured.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 09:07:16 AM »
We have had some of the above banner link companies tell us to take it down however they are there to help people find those sources for what we talk about and are NOT sponsors and provide NO funding.  THey cant force me to take a link down. 

We stood our ground and sure enough, it was a matter of days before the root of it popped up its ugly head.  The other Forum threw a fit thinking we were getting sponsored and cried to their sponsors to have them take down the link. 

As noted, it didn't work! 

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 09:36:49 AM »
Wow; now that is telling of integrity or the lack thereof. 

There was a gnashing of teeth over the fact that someone who is in business might want to advertise (whether they were or not is immaterial) some place so that they can get more customers?  That is so sad.  It almost makes one take more pity (read disgust) on the company involved for having no backbone that they can't tell someone they have the right to advertise and support whoever they want to support. (even if they are not supporting the site) They have the right to support and or advertise anyplace they want to and should not be expected to stop or be limited by a company who wants a exclusive arrangement. 

Basically if I advertise at company A and pay them through sponsorship for that ad, then they are my customer as I am to them.  They do not have any right to an expectation of exclusivity in where I advertise my services. 

For me personally, it would make me not want to have a business relationship with the spineless company that did that, let alone the company or person that tried to get them to back down where they advertise.

While I know that you probably can't for liability reasons state which "advertisers" were involved, I can make some pretty quick guesses (which may very well be wrong) who was involved as they are probably the ones that go crying to the owner of the other site immediately if any post is even the slightest bit critical of their product.

It also would make me more prone to supporting a company that told the individual/web site that they can support any site they want and if the web site owner did not like it they could pound sand and not get my sponsorship/money.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 01:42:15 PM »
Lets just say there are no discounts coming my way for my LT40 mill.  ;)

With that in mind, I have a very positive relationship with members of the parts and troubleshooting department there.  Don't know any of the executives in the advertising department.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 08:06:01 PM »
the other forum is so desperate for sponsor money its pathetic >:( i hang my head in shame to admit i use to spend a fair amount of time there... please for give me :)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 08:15:13 PM »
It is not where you come from but where you are going that is important.   

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 05:39:12 AM »
Hi ROL, been awhile since I've talk to you. I finally got started on my kiln that I'm going to heat with my OWB, got the slab poured. Not sure how hot it will get but probably too hot for an home DH. So I might have to get a Nyle. Thanks for helping me with some advice awhile back.
A little off topic for fence post. ??? ???

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 07:32:42 AM »
xlogger, never worry about being off topic  as most every topic is a beginning to lengthy conversations on many matters, much like sitting around the camp fire. 

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 11:44:48 AM »
hi xlogger
 hope my advice was useful :) it's always good talking with you. i love when a topic just finds its own course

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 04:43:33 AM »
I started a topic under Kilns below awhile back I'll go to it for updates, ROL you done a lot on what I'm doing so any suggestions along would be great.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 04:08:50 PM »
here goes another off topic, on topic, topic!  and I'm having a hard time not laughing at myself,,, for the simple reason, my wife asked about doing a cutting board just  a few days ago, so this one being the one freshest on my mind I thought I would take a quick gander at it again, mainly wondering what type of glue to use for food grade use.. well after reading, redirecting, and reading more, I wound up sitting on the proverbial fence! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: no pun intended,, so while here, I'll drop a little fence post stuff along the run.  Talking with my father in law some time back about fixing fence and the prices of things like wire, clips, corners and such, the topic came up about ole timers and what they used.  While fixing fence on the back fourty  my FIL mentioned replacing some old oak posts he and his father put in over 40 years back.  The reason was a bull, and a tornado that had taken out the wire.  his comment was the white oak they used was as solid then as it was the day the put it in, it just snapped due to too much force,, they used split white oak, pointed the ends, and then charred them  several feet up.  anyway back to the cutting board project..