alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What did you do at your saw mill today?  (Read 149940 times)

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
Re: What did you do at your saw mill today?
« Reply #425 on: July 06, 2019, 07:53:21 PM »
hoping to get some good videos

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #426 on: July 07, 2019, 08:50:49 AM »
So I ended up deleting my photo bucket account because they decided to put a watermark of their advertising on ALL my pictures, I'm working on deleting all my dead pictures, sorry bout that.

I just lost 10 ish years of pictures!!

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #427 on: July 07, 2019, 09:16:14 AM »
I have been trying to get a photo gallery setup on my site but its being a pain in the ass. And the shitty ass frontier service I have at home is not conducive to uploading since they cap the upload at 30k. And it has been very shitty connection for the last few years.

That watermark on your images is bullshit and should not be allowed.I wonder if the new terms of service give them the rights to your photos? Probably buried in there somewhere. Photobucket is going down quickly and thats just another nail in the coffin.

Now would be a great time to setup another photo sharing site. Could stand the potential to make good money off of it.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #428 on: July 07, 2019, 01:51:39 PM »
Please forgive my ignorance:

Why use a photo sharing service that you have to pay for (or even a free one)?  Why not store your pictures on those little thumb drives or another hard drive or something like that?  This way you have control over it and nobody can ever bastardize them.

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #429 on: July 07, 2019, 05:34:15 PM »
can't share them via internet when they are on flash drive.

I successfully had many test cuts today. very happy with how its cutting.

Now to square the backstops and start making lumber again.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #430 on: July 08, 2019, 07:32:50 AM »
Why can't you get a picture off a thumb drive, copy it into a post and there it is - on the internet?  You still have your original on the thumb drive and a copy on the internet in your post, right?  I don't understand what the issue is...

Good to hear your test cuts worked well!  I remember when I built mine that I was totally anal about the alignment and blade tracking and it paid off.  It hasn't moved, either!  And it's been what - 4 years now?  I can't remember.  I think it's 4.  Anyway, I guess that shows it's a good enough design if the tracking doesn't move around.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #431 on: July 08, 2019, 07:43:29 AM »
Some forums do not allow the direct uploads. or limit it to the point its not worth doing.

I did spend a full day aligning everything in the garage before the rain quit long enough for me to go do some test cuts. definitely paid off. now I need some larger sacrificial logs to get the backstops aligned.

One of the test cuts was a 5" curved walnut limb. My wife was looking for some special pieces of wood for hanging pictures so I saw that and went, hmmmm. Then I threw it on the mill (mostly cause I could do it by hand and wanted more test cuts) I sliced it into 1/2" thick slabs. looked real nice and I think its going to be perfect for what she wanted.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #432 on: July 08, 2019, 08:07:11 AM »
Yes, I've not found a way to copy and post a pic from my computer (or flash drive). I may not be doing much picture posting for a while till I can figure out a way to do it.

And I was pretty anal about aligning my saw too when I got it and every time I've checked it, it was still on.

This week I'm going to try to try out those 4 degree blades Richard got for me. I've not messed with my saw for a bit due to heat, and I've had family here at the house for ten days now. My siblings all come here to "Braun Paradise" every summer to get away for a week and swim, shoot, fish, and eat and whatever, then my daughters did a secret visit for my wife's 60th birthday so I've had a full house.. will get back to normal this week and see how those blades do...

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #433 on: July 08, 2019, 08:31:59 AM »
I have a ton of new blades I need to try. got the 4's from richard and a bunch from woodmizer. Probably $600 worth of blades. Last year I decided I really like the turbo 7's but we will see when I get a chance to really test them.

I should probably get a couple 176" blades so I can have some on hand when I get something I need wide for.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #434 on: July 08, 2019, 09:00:06 AM »
I have a ton of new blades I need to try. got the 4's from richard and a bunch from woodmizer. Probably $600 worth of blades. Last year I decided I really like the turbo 7's but we will see when I get a chance to really test them.

I should probably get a couple 176" blades so I can have some on hand when I get something I need wide for.

All I have ever tried is 10 degree blades, three I got with my machine and a box of 10 ripper 37's I got from Jerrys resharp.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Contributor
    • RockModified
« Reply #435 on: July 08, 2019, 09:07:03 AM »
I heard the ripper 37 is very similar to the turbo 7's I would be interested to know for sure. If they are the same they are cheaper as ripper 37's.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #436 on: September 11, 2019, 11:43:01 AM »
So the neighbor next to me is clearing about 50 acres of scrub to make a hayfield. The guy doing the work came by to let me know and have a look at our border line. While we were talking I asked if he would clear a small area for me and we could split some of the larger trees (he chips everything and that's where he makes his money). I ended up with 8 trees he dropped out in a field for me, all Loblollys or SYP. After topping them (they took that too) they averaged about 60 feet and 18-22 inches at the butt. I ended up getting 40 logs for my sawmill in 8,10,12,&16 footers. YAY.. should be good to go for a while!

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #437 on: September 11, 2019, 01:59:44 PM »
40 logs of pine sounds great.
160 acres not a single pine on the place.
Some walnut, hickory & oak & oaks & more oaks
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #438 on: September 11, 2019, 02:11:05 PM »
40 logs of pine sounds great.
160 acres not a single pine on the place.
Some walnut, hickory & oak & oaks & more oaks

I've lived where both are, hardwoods and softwoods. Normally I would say I prefer a hardwoods forest...but... with this little sawmill I now have an appreciation for all these pines I have. Mostly am looking for construction lumber and these pines are great for that! Not sure what I would do if I only had hardwoods, might not have bought the sawmill. I have some hardwoods here but mostly in my bottoms. I don't build furniture, I don't sell anything I cut so I'm not sure what I would do with a bunch of oak and hickory or whatever.
And I probably have another 10,000 or so of those logs on this place, bought 102 acres of almost all pines.

Still like the looks of a hardwood forest better though.