alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: first for the year  (Read 20842 times)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
first for the year
« on: January 15, 2008, 09:29:10 PM »
The first load for the new year is about the come out of the kiln.  I had the honor of sawing some Oregon White Oak from the back yard of some of my students from around 25 years ago.  One of the trees was helped down by mother nature and the second by another student, that is about one of the best fallers in the Valley. 

The lumber will come out about the 20th of this month and be used for flooring and a new fireplace mantle and surround bookcase.  I will not be making the bookcase or the mantle.  The remaining lumber will be flooring for a new remodel on a 1920s home these young folks have.  I will be running the flooring through my Logosol moulder/planer, for them. ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: first for the year
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 09:35:24 PM »
Do you know how the Oregan White Oak compares to the common White Oak in the midwest?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:56:52 PM »
Yes.  Ours is much more dense and some say a real challenge to work.  I have found that patience in sawing and drying are the key to working with the wood.  I allow the lumber to air dry for at least 90 to 120 days before I introduce it to the kiln.  I then have it in the kiln for 30 days.  The beginning temps are 75 to 80 degrees for the first week and increase from there to 95 to 110, for the second week, followed with an increase to 125/135 for the third week slowely increasing to 175 degrees for the last 4 days.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 10:08:15 PM »
Dense is good!  Helps it to last longer! 

Our white oak is hard to cut but machines pretty well.  Very rot resistant as well.  I try to cut and air dry my oaks in the fall and winter as drying to fast caused lots of surface checks. 

I WILL have my kiln done by April!  Way to much stuff stored that needs to get done.  I still have about 20,000 bf on hand of various hardwoods right now.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 10:27:07 PM »
Had a call from a fella in Portland that wanted me to dryy 8,000 bd.ft. of 4 x 4 douglas fir 10' long.  I sure wish I had more than one container, sometimes.   At .60 a board foot I could have had a nice pocket full of change.

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
  • I am not a moderator, I am a meditator
    • www.cliffordrenovations.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 08:38:38 PM »
Had a call from a fella in Portland that wanted me to dryy 8,000 bd.ft. of 4 x 4 douglas fir 10' long.  I sure wish I had more than one container, sometimes.   At .60 a board foot I could have had a nice pocket full of change.
Any pic of your kiln Frank?
The secret to Zen in just "two" words is, "not always so".
       http://HTTP://WWW.CLIFFORDRENOVATIONS.COM

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 10:08:12 PM »
Even if he had it it wont upload until we swamp servers :( 

The attachment limit was hit today and they wont increase it on this server, thus the change. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »
The kiln, Andy, is basically 24' refer trailer reinsolated and electirfied with several power outlkets and a heat exchanger hanging on the wall with an Ebac 800 on a shelf to remove the moisture.

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:26:15 AM »
The kiln, Andy, is basically 24' refer trailer reinsolated and electirfied with several power outlkets and a heat exchanger hanging on the wall with an Ebac 800 on a shelf to remove the moisture.
Interesting...I've heard lots of people that have done that and it had me thinking...that when I move I may need some sort of temporary storage for all my tools...or at least what I could fit that I don't need immediatly. Might just be the ticket. I rented a container for about a year when I first started this project here. I think it was about 30' long.
Might pay to buy a used one when I move and see what it'd cost to load up here and have ABS trucking move it for me.
Another thing to think about..ugh.

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »
Spent far too much time today reading about solar kilns. Now I'm more confused than I was before..kidding (kinda). While I was reading about them in Woodweb I got to thinking about some of the different solar kiln designs. One thing I didn't see in any of the stickering discussions was something I use to store a lot of my lumber and trim. PVC. I use it to make a lot of my racks like using tinker toys.
 Is there a reason no one's mentioned using say...1" pvc pipe? Wouldn't that be a really good idea? Or is there a reason one should stay away from it?
I just though that the contact from the sticker to the wood plank would be minimal. No staining. Removing planks would be easier and the stuff is cheap.
Just curious.
edit: just thought...probably would leave little dents in the planks huh?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 08:50:09 PM by andybuildz »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 10:41:52 PM »
People have used PVC but you have to cut it in half, otherwise your stack tends to roll away. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 04:12:13 PM »
And, if the pvc is not the stronger type (thickness) it will co laps, under the weight.  Now, ifs you could come up with a shape conducive to not rolling, then you have something.  There is someone on the market that makes a plastic sticker that is a 1 x 1 with grooves in the middle, to help cut down the amount of contact with the wood.  There was someone who began to make a similar design and got a letter form some legal council and they had to stop making and selling them.

Offline andybuildz

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 04:41:46 PM »
What a baby...co-lapse? Geezzzz...do I have to do everything for you Franklyn?
Just like using tinker toys...
After you set your entire pile up on the 1" pvc lengths...slip an L coupling on each end on each side of the bottom lendths .....the a T coupling on the middle lengths and another L coupling (upside down) on the top lengths. Then connect them vertically with pieces of straight lengths. That'll keep em' from rolling. What else you want me to do for you?  ;D
Edit: PS...I gave my good friend Jim this Sawmill and Timber website addy. He's a real good carp from Washington State and he just bought a Linn Sawmill he's now about to set up in it's own millhouse on his property. I put it on the list of others. Hope he stops in here.
http://www.linnlumber.com/app/inventoryapp/linn_lumber_portable_bandmills/inventory_list/66-0.html
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 04:52:07 PM by andybuildz »

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 07:34:26 PM »
i have just started trying terex plastic decking cut on tablesaw 1"x1" have a stack of walnut air drying with it now
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 12:21:30 AM »
Have you thought about masking triangles, rather than squares from that material?  Just a thought.  I am thinking of maing a jig to make triangles out of my lumber, rather than squares.  Ideas for jogs are welcome. ;D