alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: American Chestnut  (Read 9440 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
American Chestnut
« on: July 01, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »
Got a nice call yesterday from a local about an American Chestnut.

Seems he has a Chestnut that was planted in 1860 that died and had to be taken down.  Knows for sure that it is an American (which is supposed to be extinct).  It's 4' on the stump and about 2 1/2' on the small end at 20'.  Wants it slabbed for table tops. Lots more info needed before I commit on price, like will I have help moving slabs?

Won't see it 'till next week but just the enquirery makes my day.  Same telephone prefix as mine so it's real close.  Can probably get some limb wood for carving and pen blanks!   
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Re: American Chestnut
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
Sounds like a chainsaw mill is going to be necessary....unless you can slab that width already?

Very cool find!  I sure would be interested in a chunk of crotch wood if you get some.

Scott (wanting someones crotch wood....hmmm, too wierd) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 11:21:29 AM »
Theres afew that survived The  reserch I've done show there to be 5 american chestnuts left standing in Arlington, Va. I aquired one in Falls Chruch, Va a couple years ago the but log was if I remember right 48" or 50" across. I quarter sawed all the logs and ended up with 900 bf of 5/4 4/4 and 5'x5' leg stock. Even after kiln drying all the lumber its still dence and heavy lumber. Ring count is so tight I had to wear glasses to count em. ;D ;D I even sawed the stump. I did sell the stump slabs at $200.00 each But am saving the lumber for MYSELF ;D I have turned down $12.00 bf  [22" quarter sawn chestnut boards dont get no better then that]

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 07:47:17 PM »
Sounds like a chainsaw mill is going to be necessary....unless you can slab that width already?

Very cool find!  I sure would be interested in a chunk of crotch wood if you get some.

Scott (wanting someones crotch wood....hmmm, too wierd) B

Lucas slabber, 60" wide, no problem.

I'll see if I can snag a crotch (Chestnut) for you. 

Yes there are a few left.  This is the second on I've seen since I've had my mill.  The last one was a nail magnet. It cost me 4 blades to saw 3/4 of it and it still had steel in it.  The remaining 1/4 went to fire wood.  Chains are cheaper than blades. 
It's them damn yard sales that get to you and all the signs on the trees.
Stevem

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 08:54:30 PM »
 Back in another life, I clum a few of them Chestnut Poles. Them were some hard. Hooks barely bit into the wood.

You know we are going to need photos, right ???  ;D ;D ;D  Good luck.  I got a couple Metal Detectors for sale. Them's cheaper than blades, also.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:01:04 PM »
I got a couple Metal Detectors for sale. Them's cheaper than blades, also.  Grin Grin Grin

Now you sound like me talking to Frank
Stevem

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 08:55:41 AM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: