alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Kinda quiet  (Read 22491 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Kinda quiet
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:32:52 AM »
What's everyone up to?  Been a lack of activity around here lately.....guess everyone is out wearing out blades on there saw?

Scott (getting my mill soon) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Kinda quiet
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
I've been sawing like crazy.  got a job cutting some blow down for a guy with a huge building project.  So far I've cut over 7000bdf log scale for the guy.  Biggest log so far was only 22" but he built me a roll on deck from two smaller logs and feeds the deck with his tractor.  Takes almost as long to line up the logs as it does to cut them.  I bid the job too cheap considering the number of logs around 12".    

And just for you Scot I bought a pen lathe.  It came with tools, a pen mandrel, and 7mm drill bit and about 20 pen/pencil kits.  It's an older (no longer sold) 8" Craftsman that cost $140 about 10 years ago.  Got the original shipping receipt.  Five of the slim line pen kits are still sold on line for $5.99 each.  I paid $50 for the whole set up.

The guy I bought it from has moved on and now makes "native" flutes the he can get up to $400 a copy for.  God it's a strange world in what people will pay for something.

I've turned three thing-a-ma-bobs for my daughter as handles for crochet hooks.   Trying to find the right form and fit for her hand.  Seems carpel tunnel is a real problem for crocheters.  Turning is a real kick.  Haven't tried a pen yet.  The directions I have are real scant.  Do you round the "corners" on a saw before you put a blank on the lathe?

This AM I help the neighbor wood carver load a 18' totem pole for delivery that he carved for a customer.  His "commission" was in the $10,000 range.  Not a bad price for one medium size western red cedar log.  Lots of work  and travel involved though.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:50:25 PM by Stevem »
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 07:16:53 AM »
I just got back from a road trip to New Hampshire for fire business. 

Came home to our local Christian Church burned to the ground :(   Guys got the call at 3:36am and when they got there it was blowing flames out all the upstairs windows.  20 minutes into it the whole roof collapsed. 

The guys did manage to save two garages that were 15 feet from the church.  Not a spec of damage to either one of them. 

Cutting this morning.  I have a 1200bf hedge order I HAVE to get done this weekend.  Not looking forward to cutting in this heat again.  :(
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
What's a hedge order?
Stevem

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 07:55:51 PM »
Do you round the "corners" on a saw before you put a blank on the lathe?

Nope, just keep a good hold of the tooling(sharp tools are best), and start into it lightly.
Can't wait to see something round from you!!!!

Scott (converted another) B

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 09:14:22 PM »
"Hedge" - Hedge Apple, Boe-D-Ark, Osage Orange!  
http://www.gpnc.org/osage.htm

Most rot resistant wood in North America!

Cut another couple hundred feet in the heat tonight.  Got about another 150 bf to go and the order is done!  

1200bf going to Houston for a flooring job.

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 03:29:08 PM »
Howdy. What were you all up to last week?
Its been too quite here in the forum.
Is it all about storing the firewood? I guess the temperature is falling where you all are as it does here in Norway.
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Pictures: www.flickr.com/photos/focusbondo/

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 03:32:22 PM »
Been on the road for 10 days.  Trying to recover!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »
I worked him too hard, Frank.  I believe I might well have at least one slab sold, Kirk and Steve.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 11:14:28 PM »
For what it's worth Frank:

A better answer to what you should sell them for would be by the bdf.  And a good figure to start with would be about $3-4/bdf, green.

Stevem

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Myrtle Wood
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 11:29:05 PM »
Looked at a Myrtle Wood log today.  Not huge but not bad.  About 10' long and 28" dia in the waist.  Three main leaders off the main trunk are going to give a lot of figure on one end.  It will cost me two of the slabs and the rest is mine.  Lots of help offered and a tractor to move it for best cut. 

Was told it was 92" in diameter and one guy said it was too big to saw,  Well it was too big for him to saw but it was 92" in circumference where measured
And shade to saw in.  Some people know how to treat a sawyer and not have them standing in the sun all day.

And more trees promised in the near future.  Big Leaf Maple(s?) 6'+ on the stump and a 24" (on the stump) English Walnut to come.

Maybe a horse shoe NAIL today? 

Stevem

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 09:10:10 AM »
KIRK!!!  I've been looking for Boedark to make a bow.  Might you have a couple limbs measuring about 3"x6'?  And extra one just in case I mess up on making bow.  I'm waiting on a draw knife from a friend to start working on a piece of hickory but I REALLY want Boedark. 
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 05:16:59 PM »
Ill have to cut some as I dont have any on hand. 

I just got back from my Elk hunt so it will take a few days to recover ;D

Ill keep you posted on when I get it cut. 

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 06:39:24 AM »
Did you have any luck on your hunt?  I've 'et moose, reindeer and white tail deer.  Ain't never had me no elk before. 

On the boedark...I would need a limb (I reckon)...'bout 6' long and 3" in diameter. Least that's what my instructions tell me.  And no hurry.  I haven't even started on my hickory bow yet.  The piece that Willie cut for me is still hanging there...continuing to dry whilst I attempt to procure a good drawknife.  *sigh*  I once saw a plaque that said you would not die until you got everything finished...I'm so far behind, I think I might never die! 
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 08:14:19 AM »
I got two Cows this year.  Saw one bull but it was smaller than the one I got last year so I let it walk. 

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 09:47:38 PM »
Speaking of Osage Orange Kirk, are you selling your sawdust for $40+ a pound?  Have you thought about it? 

http://www.aurorasilk.com/natural_dyes/dyes/OsageOrange.html 
Stevem

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 10:07:42 PM »
Yesterday I cut a Sweet Gum for a neighbor, basically for free.  8 feet long and 15" top.    I got 5,  8' x 1" x 6's and a 3 x 6 inch chunk about 30" long for turning stock.

I've never seen any of that wood so it was kind of an experiment for me.  Looks almost like our local maple until the center where there was a streak (very small) of very dark wood.    And only two nails in the whole tree. :'(

Anything special about sweet gum?  And remember your talking to an ignoramus when it comes to gum!
Stevem

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
American Sweetgum smells pretty bad while milling....that and it doesn't smell all that good when the wind blows towards the house(got it air drying out back).

It has some great figuring though...

Scott (that's my knowledge limit) B

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »
Just finished as couple thousand feet of Western Red Cedar for a man and his 400 feet of Black walnut.  Kiln still going.  Moving some firewood, once-in-awhile.

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 04:51:29 AM »
Willie was/is cutting white and red oak for customer wanting new floor in goose-neck trailer.  But...he had to get a 'real' job.  Unemployment ran out week before last...got job offer last week and he took it.  Driving skidder again.  That skidder is trying it's best to eat Willie's lunch!   :-\  He's trying to work all day then mill in the evenings.  We won't repeat what he has to say about the time change.   ::)  Says he's only gonna work long enough to save some money to keep the mill going...probably 'bout a year.  Then he's officially retiring from the Logging Woods!  We'll see. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »
Performed my 8th wedding last evening.  What an honor.  A past student asked me to do the honors.  My "kids" are delicious.  :angel:

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 04:22:16 AM »
Frank...you're a teacher AND a pastor?  How great!  Actually...not much difference in the two: shepherd of unruly sheep.   ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »
SS, I have be retired for 11 years, now.  I stay in touch with over 2,000, of the 3.500. tha went through my classroom.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Frank, Retired?   :D :D :D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 08:58:42 PM »
Frank, Retired?   :D :D :D

Yes he's retired Kirk and that's not to be confused with retarded.  I resemble that remark.  Some day you'll understand the difference assuming .... (oh, what ever)
Stevem