alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 12205 times)

Offline Jim Hull

• New Contributor
Hi
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »
Hello to everyone.  My name is Jim Hull and I live in Mattoon, IL.  I am a woodworker who is seriously developing an interest in getting a mill of my own.  I have access, with a buddy of mine, to a lot of trees (cherry, oak, walnut, ash, maple, etc.) and it looks like a lot of fun and hard work to saw our own lumber.  This buddy and I are in the process of doing much research as we consider this endeavor. You all seem to be a wealth of information, as I have been lurking for a little while.  I have also had the pleasure of meeting Kirk Allen and enjoyed the little time I got to spend with him.  I hope to gain more useful knowledge to help me make the best choice possible and then to learn as much as I can from all of you.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:40:59 AM »
Welcome to our little world of wood'n things.  Just a bunch of crazies that like to get slivers in their hands and sawdust in their socks. (My wife hates me on laundry day).

Just a note on sawmills.  Size (of the logs) matters.  What ever mill you decide on there's going to be a log just too big to saw without a lot of extra work.  All mills have there strong and weak points.  I have a swing mill (Lucas) and many times wish I had a band mill, or a regular carriage mill, or a dimension mill, or hydraulics attached.  The mill can become the cheapest part of any operation, support equipment can become addiction.

Look around and enjoy (or not) our little world of boards, beams, slabs and whatnot's.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:49:19 AM »
Welcome to the site Jim. 

Dont hesitate to fire away with questions.  Might be slow at times getting a response but rest assured if they dont have the answer they will no where to get it!. 

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 02:35:56 PM »
Welcome, Jim.  Sorry you hd to spend some time with some of us before you got on to the forum.
 ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 02:49:06 PM »
OK Frank, I'll Deal with that crack the next time I see you!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:47:47 PM »
And that will be in less than ten days. ;D

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 07:00:31 AM »
Welcome to the club!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »

Glad to have you sign up.  8) 8)

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 05:29:20 PM »
Hi Jim.
Welcome to this forum.
I'm wondering if you are related to Greg Hull,the owner of Hull sawmill in Two Harbors, Minnesota.
There might be a lot of different Hull families in the USA.
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Pictures: www.flickr.com/photos/focusbondo/