alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: How to controll the MD sawmilling better?  (Read 14143 times)

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
How to controll the MD sawmilling better?
« on: August 14, 2011, 07:47:43 AM »
Is there anything that I can do to have more control on the MD engine and the sawmilling?
After the MD came to Bondo I have not been there and worked on it.

I wounder if there is any tachometer on the MD. If not, is there any advantage for me to add one?
Should I also buy a tachometer for controlling the speed of the blades? I was thinking of a hand held device.

Do any of you know if there are any device on the market for the sawmill that automatically counts each sawed board?

Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Pictures: www.flickr.com/photos/focusbondo/

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: How to controll the MD sawmilling better?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:58:38 AM »
Nothing I know of for counting each sawed board but I do know some folks that use a push button hand held counter.  Similar to the ones golf caddy's use.  Fits in the palm of your hand, has button on the side and each push rolls another number over in the display. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 08:31:15 AM »
Nothing I know of for counting each sawed board but I do know some folks that use a push button hand held counter.  Similar to the ones golf caddy's use.  Fits in the palm of your hand, has button on the side and each push rolls another number over in the display. 
We got that hand held thumb push counter. It just better to have some device that does it automatically. Concentration is everything for the operator.
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 05:10:12 PM »
There is a govenor on the engine to deal with blade speed.  One thing you to not want to do, is push the mill so hard that the govenor has to work too very hard on each cut.  As far as board counting, you might come up with some device that will click a mechanism each time the carrage returns with a board.

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
There is a govenor on the engine to deal with blade speed.  One thing you to not want to do, is push the mill so hard that the govenor has to work too very hard on each cut.  As far as board counting, you might come up with some device that will click a mechanism each time the carrage returns with a board.

Thanks Frank. I need a teacher once in a while. I will check out if the manual can tell me more about the govenor. I'm still waiting for it to arrive here in Norway. That was a great tip you gave me.
Thank you for the idea for mechanical run board counter. I guess my dad can help me out there to find the right counter I can attach.

Can you help me out on the tachometer question Frank?
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 05:29:02 PM »
I have been running MD mills since 83 and never needed a tac.  Just something more to go wrong.  For the counter, you could have it set, so when the mill returns all the way back to the rubber stop, it could trip a pushbutton counter, just before arriving all the way to the stop.

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:57:40 PM »
I have been running MD mills since 83 and never needed a tac.  Just something more to go wrong.  For the counter, you could have it set, so when the mill returns all the way back to the rubber stop, it could trip a pushbutton counter, just before arriving all the way to the stop.

I'll take your word for tachometer. Its better to take some decisions on what to buy when I'm in Norway. Its too late when I'm in Congo.  ;)

Thanks for the idea about the board counter. I really got ot now.

What about engine temperature. The sawmill is operating in a tropical climate. Does the MD have any temp indicator?
Do I need a air compressor to clean the saw dust from the cylinders?

Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 06:03:10 PM »
You will need a compressor to blow the dust from between the cooling fins.  That can become a quick issue when not keeping them clean of dust and such.   There is a temp gage  on the mills, to let you know engine temp. a well as an oil pressure gage.  Witht he heat and all, I would suggest a constant eye on both.  You can check with Ron Heriman, the owner.  He has a number of friends in Africa with mills and can easily let you know the more specifics of possible issues.

Offline LeFranck

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 06:26:30 PM »
You will need a compressor to blow the dust from between the cooling fins.  That can become a quick issue when not keeping them clean of dust and such.   There is a temp gage  on the mills, to let you know engine temp. a well as an oil pressure gage.  Witht he heat and all, I would suggest a constant eye on both.  You can check with Ron Heriman, the owner.  He has a number of friends in Africa with mills and can easily let you know the more specifics of possible issues.

Thanks a lot. I will try to call Ron tomorrow.
Frank Thoresen

Mobile Dimension Saw 128