alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Prayer for friends in Nome, Alaska  (Read 9336 times)

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
Prayer for friends in Nome, Alaska
« on: November 09, 2011, 04:42:24 AM »
Hey y'all...
I used to live in Nome and have alot of friends still there.  There is a HUGE storm going over!  One friend is Fire Chief; he's saying that police phones and 911 is down.  His sis-in-law just posted on FB that roofs are blowing off in town (she lives a couple miles N of Nome, proper).  Waves are enormous!  Forecast is for gusts reaching 60-70 mph, temps around 25 deg's (that's a windchill of about 5 deg's.).  Other reports have power out on Little Diomede and St. Lawerence Islands, too.  They're saying this is the biggest storm since 1974.  Please keep all the people of the Seward Peninsula in much prayer!  Thank you all soooo very much!http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/home_sat.php
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Prayer for friends in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:17:55 PM »
Prayers going north!  Been there done that and its no fun! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 04:20:15 AM »
They came out of the storm pretty good.  Fire chief friend said that damage was minimal, no injuries.  From all the pics I've seen, I think the main problem, both on the mainland and on the Island (St. Lawrence), is debris from the surf: drift wood EVERYWHERE!  There were a couple close calls concerning surf, tides and sea ice.  It had not come in to Nome yet but the storm brought it in.  The Snake River, just West of Nome actually runs between Nome proper and the airport and the sea ice was being pushed up-river...almost took out the bridge.

Thank you for your prayers, Kirk.  If I couldn't live here in E. Texas, Nome would be my next choice.  Loved the country but the people are the best! 
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
Just information,

Being so far north Nome has tides in the inch catagory, like 2 inches!.  So when "surfs up" its a really big deal.  They just aren't ready for big rises in sea level.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!