alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: about band speed  (Read 98012 times)

Offline lauztuvass

• Contributor
Re: about band speed
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2013, 03:39:23 AM »
No upgrades still. Only plans  ;D .
Not mush i saw. I have a job, so its to little time to saw. But i like to  construct, so i still planing to upgrade my sawmill.
Thank you for the good words.  ;)

Offline nk14zp

• New Contributor
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2013, 05:42:36 AM »
What is the down side of having your band speed to high?  I ask because I am in the gathering stage(both info and parts) to build my own.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »

Aside from MAYBE added heat to the blade from sawing hardwoods at an increased ft-minute of speed, I think that the blade fatigue from using 19" dia. pulley-wheels, on most mills is the reason to keep the speed down. It's a compromise for the factory, to keep the blade speed to where fatigue isn't happening sooner and getting lesser life out of the blade.

You hear a lot of talk about blades breaking, whether in the welded area or in the gullet. If one keeps the gullets ground clean of micro cracks, one uses up the blade faster by grinding away metal increasing blade sales for the dealers-manufacturers.

We built a mill using 24" outer diameter trailer wheels-tires. In over 200,000 bd'ft sawn, we never broke more than a couple blades. That was due to operator error, not blade fatigue.

Offline lauztuvass

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2015, 11:51:54 AM »
Hi guys,
A long time I wasnt here. But I came back
So, how You are? How yours mills? Still a live?  ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2015, 02:26:41 PM »
Alive and kicking!  Glad to have you back! 

Deer season around here so not much wood getting cut!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline lauztuvass

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2015, 11:56:47 AM »
You are hunter? I am not. Too little time i have. In my coutry no matter- deer season or not. No limitation for cuts. Only in spring, then birds are sitting on their eggs, not imposible to cut  ;D

Offline lauztuvass

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2015, 03:22:48 PM »
I have one question about wood sawing. Two years ago some logs i saw to planks- 8cm thickness (about 3 inches). That was birch and black alder. I put blanks inside garage. Now i want to saw those blanks to boards. Is big mistake to saw without water? ( I always used water to my blades).
Thanks.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2016, 05:22:57 PM »
 Good to see you back.  I type copy/paste. Keyboard is bad on computer.  >:(  use water as little as possible.

Softens wood fibres.

Offline lauztuvass

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2016, 10:14:44 AM »
Thanks. Maybe some one have used diesel fuel  in practice?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2016, 05:34:06 PM »

Bad idea on dry wood