alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Woodland Mills Sawmills  (Read 37372 times)

Offline Hoghead

• Contributor
Woodland Mills Sawmills
« on: April 15, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »
Hi All,

Been a while, a year or so, since my post, but I've been visiting every few days, however.

Any one have any input, good or not so great, on the Woodland Mills 'Sawmill'? I ran across
it here a while back. They're located in Port Perry, Ontario, Canada. It looks like a great mill.

You can find them at www.woodlandmills.ca

I've been leaning towards the Norwood ML 26. But, at this stage of the game, I'm open to
exploring other options.

Thanks for your time.

Robert Sherwood, Cheyenne, Wy

Offline Sawing/poolman

• Contributor
Re: Woodland Mills Sawmills
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 09:58:36 PM »
That is a low price for a mill.I am sure you would get your money out of it in a few months.I dont think you could saw for hire with it ,and not wear your self out.If you need to build projects around your place or for wood working ,it would be great.I think you will be a busy bee with that  mill.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »
Welcome back!

Have you checked "Sawmill Exchange" or the banner listed sawmilltrader.com on this site?  Generally lots of low hours small band mills available, sometimes with extras included.

One major thing to consider before buying any mill is, "What size logs are you going to cut?"  And another is, "Is your sawing for fun or profit?"  Small mills cut small logs, slowly.

If you have a specialty market everything I say can be wrong about mills.

Smaller mills and logs are fine but a lot of work for what you get in yield.  Logs larger than the throat width of a band mill can be a hassle and/or involve a lot of chainsaw work to make them fit.

With my Lucas my perspective of log size is, I try to avoid logs bigger than 60" diameter big end, unless it's really special wood.

Just saying.  
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Sawing/poolman

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:33:35 AM »
The band saw mills are great table saws.When ever you want to true up lumber, or resize boards and beams after they are dry later.That is great for building things when you can very easily change your stock.I do that often on mine and up to 15 boards at a time.When i make flooring planks on my machine i always re edge lumber true.I like to know i can make things i need on the spot from older dry stock.I thing your own mind will guide you to make your dreams come true. you are making a good choice.   brian

Offline camastown

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 04:11:47 AM »
check out a turner mill. I have had mine for a couple years and have been very happy. You get a full size mill with a 24hp honda motor for the price of other companies hobby mills. I will tell you, this is not a hobby mill. I can do 30" dia and I am set up to do 32"material. Its super easy to load and lock down the log
The see thru man

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
Depends a lot on your budget & how you'll use the mill.  Take a close look at the track support, sawhead height adjustment, and especially the clamping system on the mill.  Do you plan on a trailer package?  You might even consider a Norwood MX34 as an alternative.  Been very pleased with mine.
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline Larrywoodsaw

• New Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 01:24:06 AM »
I had a woodland mill and after a year Owning it. I now own wood mizer. Plane and simple you get what you for. Timbery looks to me like a really well built sawmill. A little bit more money but they have some good ideas on there's.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »
Consider the versatility of the mill.  I started out thinking I was going to be cutting railroad ties and flooring, which I did until the housing market crashed.  I now do all kinds of custom cutting, all on the Norwood mill.  As your ideas of what you will mill change, you should be able to change without replacing the sawmill.

Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 07:22:57 PM »
Nice book matching!
Stevem

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 11:09:45 AM »
Thanks.  Sometimes it takes longer to clamp down a piece like this than it does to cut it.  After you've had one or two roll while you're cutting them, you learn why it is important to hold them securely.  There's always a way, and it it is usually worth the time!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
I've had them roll with the Lucas when enough weight was taken off the top.  Not fun and cost a lot of time.
Stevem