alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Mobile Dimension Slabber  (Read 13681 times)

Offline robl4saw

• New Contributor
Mobile Dimension Slabber
« on: May 08, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »
Has anyone adapted a chainsaw slabber to a Mobile Dimension mill?? Or have any ideas about doing it

Thanks
Rob

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Mobile Dimension Slabber
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:34:16 AM »
Rob it's been done and I believe MD has the original and supposed to be studying it. 

Our own Frank P did it some years back for his MD.  I've been told it was based loosely on what the Lucas uses.  I never saw it (no pun).

Frank is on sick leave for awhile but I'm sure he'd love to share when he gets back.  And if you've got an MD he'll fall in love with you. :) 
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline robl4saw

• New Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 01:41:33 AM »
Thanks for that steve
I do have an MD but just a little information will do. I think I'll pass on the loving

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »
What ever. 

Frank is well known at MD and even has the "honor" of having his picture on their web site.  He traditionally runs their saw at the Oregon Logging Conference, an annual wood processing show here in Oregon.

And oh by the way welcome to our little world.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline robl4saw

• New Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 10:52:35 AM »
Thanks for the welcome
Since I posted this query I found another forum that had Franks slabber adaption posts from back in 2002.
I've only been using my MD for about 5 mths on and off, cutting for my own use, so I'm looking forward to hearing from someone with plenty of experience.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 06:07:53 PM »
Well, I am back.  The engineer at the time and I took a Friday and built the adapter mechanism for as Lucas slabbing unit.  We had to build an adaptive unit for the sprocket system from the slabber to the edger shaft, after removing the bottom edger blade.  I then built a system to hold in place, the outer end of the bar fram and a track for it to ride on and still maintain a 90* angle to the carrage track.  I attatched brackets to the crossfeed riser sleeves on the risers. 

Offline robl4saw

• New Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 07:32:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply Frank.
Hope your feeling well after your sick leave.
How did you find using the slabber and were you using the 5 ft or 6 ft blade.
I don't suppose you would have any detailed photo's.
Would appreciate anything you (or anyone else) could tell me about using Mobile Dimension mills and/or your slabber attachment.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »
Frank, detailed photos?  :laugh::D  :laugh:  :D  :laugh:  :D   :laugh:

sorry Frank, couldnt resits
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:44:22 AM »
I used the 5' system.  I also learned that you had to have at 51 pounds of weight on the end of the bar to help maintain the 90* angle to the track.  I used a 3" x 8" piece of alum. tube for the track with 1' angle for the rollers to ride.  I also used a 3/8" cable with turnbuckles as a strongback, with a 3" riser in the middle of the tube.
The mill is set up with an eighteen foot capacity track system.  Hence the total overll capacity for a slab was about 14'.

As to pictures, this has been so long ago, I do not know where any pictures are and like the jokester indicated with his "smiles"  I do not know how to send or post such things.