alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Poll

Anyone build their own portable swing or stationary circular mill?

mill plans
0 (0%)
mill plans
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Knowledge of Circular sawmill plans?  (Read 27955 times)

Offline Eddiebo

• Contributor
Knowledge of Circular sawmill plans?
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:24:01 PM »
New here, and really am blown away at all the info. Anyone have knowledge of plans to build a portable circular swing mill? I currently have a band mill by Stan Bookman, and need a dimentional mill, but cant afford the high cost of a new one.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: Knowledge of Circular sawmill plans?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »

What is it you are actually needing to do. Saw BIG logs ? Saw dimensional lumber, 2X's etc?

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:43:29 PM »
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Eddiebo

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »
I would like to saw 2x4's   2x6's  for my home construction. I currently own a band sawmill, and need more production on 24" to 30" diameter logs. Cant handle anything bigger than that. Would like to find plans to build a portable circular, or swing mill.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 12:58:07 AM »
I'm not talented enough to even think about building a swing mill.  

With the limit of 6" on board size you want you might look at a Lucas 6" mill or a smaller Peterson (where's Harold?).  Reasonable price and can still cut a fairly big log.  You might be able to find a good deal on a lightly used one as most people that have sawed for awhile want larger mills.  

In some states/counties using ungraded lumber to build a dwelling can be a problem.  Have you checked on that aspect?
Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:26:05 AM »
 Eddiebo
 Care to do a little Q&A ?  
 What species of wood are you cutting ?
 Do you work alone ?
 What common max length ?
 What mill do you currently have ?
 Where in the world are you located ?

I had plans in my fogged up head, to place a band mill head on the carriage of my Peterson WPF, which is a carriage type Swing Mill, where only the sawing parts move up-down. The frame just supports the sawing parts and has the winch for up-down.

You might consider a framework of a gang saw, where you saw a large 2" thick slab, and, offbear it right into a gangsaw. Have it set for whatever you want the most of, like 28" wide slab will make 6-2 X 4's and 2 pieces of 2" side slabs, that would make stickers, all in 1 pass. They could be sent down the line on a roller table and deposited in a pile for stacking or whatever. Power feed the slab and gravity feed the sawn 2X's down the rollers. Have them drop onto forks or in a bin of sorts, so the forks can pick up a load all at 1 lift and move them.

Depending on whether you are building your own house to live in, or, are in the house building business, would help to know.

I would hate to give up the bandmill for sawing table slabs and weird shaped logs. Them are all big $$$ lumber, made in 1 pass.

I love automation, and, have plans in my head to build a small log processor. I have a tree farm with trees nearing 10" DBH that will need thinning next year.

My Peterson works fine, but, it's all foot powered, meaning, I have to push the thing through the log. The older I get, the heavier this thing is.

A used Lucas or Peterson or a brand X swing mill is not expensive, IF you need a lot of 2X's sawn. They just cut one piece for pass if you work alone.

I built a bandmill to saw 36" wide table slabs. Once the slab is sawn, and I want studs or joists, I slide the slab onto the loading forks and saw some more. Then, I slide them back over to the log stops and stand them all on edge, sorting to size roughly, to avoid as much waste as possible. Then, I rip down 6-8 slabs in one pass to get studs or joists. This does require a GOOD helper that has a thinking brain. Mt son was that man, and, could handle nearly anything I could throw at him, alone. THINKING is the key to handling big heavy stuff, NOT muscles.

We build a couple of portable rollers and positioned them where all was required was pushing stuff around.  

Maybe I have oversized your plans, but, you provided minimal info. Talk to us.

Offline Eddiebo

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:29:50 PM »
My wood of choice to saw here in Central Texas is pine, and Cedar. I am wanting to saw framing lumber to build our house. Getting ready to build drying shed. My current mill is a band sawmill made by Bookman's band saw company, and can saw 30" diameter logs. It is by no means a production mill, but does well for my rustic furniture work. I would like to have something to cut 2x4"s 2x6"s etc..... I have plans coming to build another band mill by Bill Rakes, and will make a mobile mill out of a trailor I have here. I still am interested in plans for a circular mill to produce studs and 6" studs as well.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 11:15:20 PM »
Just a thought:

The first "mobile sawmill" that I'm aware of being advertised as such was the "Belsaw" by Foley.  Through various changes, etc. they are now know as Timber King.

What they provided was the Husk, the carriage, saw blades and various metal parts to drive the mill and a set of plans for the rest of what was needed.  They were PTO driven but could be adapted to stationary power with a drive line hookup.  I did see one that was mounted on a trailer to be pulled by a truck.
Here's a picture and recent add:  http://yakima.craigslist.org/tls/3180720420.html  Note the steel frame.

They must have sold 1000's of these mills and I think I heard that Timber King still has some parts or at least expertise or the manual.  Every farmer with a tractor could have their very own sawmill.   All the engineering was done

Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »

Sounds to me like, you could use a Lucas or Peterson mill, to go with what you have. That's the best way to do 2X stuff easily. Should be able to find one used and get a demo before buying one. Parts and support are excellent from both Manufacturers.

Having a band mill and a Peterson, that's the way I would go.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »
My first circular mill I built back in the eighties, it was semi portable. I say semi because once you get everything lined up and level you will be lothed to move it. I built the mill with two axles and used steel roof trusses. Harold has given good advice adding a swing mill to your band mill. Frank C.

Offline iwawoodwork

• New Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 09:49:26 AM »
why not build an edger that will cut your slabs . There are plans online  for edgers.   a few years ago I  found and purchased several 14" saw blades  on sale for around $35.00 each, which should cut up to 6" wood. I would think an edger would be much easier to build (that's my plan) than a swing saw.  Or what about a mobile dimension type  with the built in edger saws, have seen home built  ones on line.