alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Edger only for bowed 2x6?  (Read 9528 times)

Offline valvecheck

• New Contributor
Edger only for bowed 2x6?
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:36:45 PM »
Howdy,

Anyone with a mobile dimension tried running it with just the large edger blade on?
I have several bowed maples, about 8" in diameter, that I want to try to follow the bow with the saw/track to produce a headboard and a couple decorative trim arches.  I was thinking of taking the main blade off, clamping the log with the bow/arch flat, and trying to follow the bow of the log with the large edger to produce some arched 2x6 and 1x6.

-Scott

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Edger only for bowed 2x6?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 12:42:29 AM »
We need Frank to chime in but you do know that you can get one such board per log by cutting down to near center and then flipping the log over and cutting down to what ever thickness you want. 

I'd personally cut the board from either just above the center or just below to avoid having the pith in the finished board.  But it's been 30 years since I ran an MD.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline valvecheck

• New Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 09:04:05 AM »
Steven,

I figured I'd be able to get two boards per log - one from just above the center and one from just below, in order to avoid the pith as you mentioned.

-S

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 09:25:28 AM »
I like you idea Scott.  Worth a try.  You can always do the single board idea.   What I would do is find someone in the area with a band mill, wide enough to get what you want from the logs.