alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: A big sawdust hello  (Read 14867 times)

Offline ozarkgem

• New Contributor
A big sawdust hello
« on: February 06, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »
I am new here. Also from SW Mo. I see a couple of guys in my area. Currently own a mighty mite band mill. home made 3 point log skidder for the tractor(works better than i expected). Just finishing building an auto sharpener for my blades. Will finish a chain turner for the mill next week(maybe).I am tired of turning logs by hand. I have about 50 acres of cedar to get logged out before it gets to hot.
Sthil 029, 044 magnum w/32" bar and a husky 345 and some other odds and end saws. Just about finished with my cabin I sawed up. i have about 7000.00 in it. if someone can walk me through posting pics i will put some of the cabin on here. Red oak floors, pine walls and red cedar ceiling. Wood latches and wood hinges on home made doors. All off grid. In my spare time i have a machine shop. that is a brief snap shot of my boring life. i cut of really nice red oak logs today. Been sawing some walnut and hackberry last week. i will be sawing cedar tomorrow.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: A big sawdust hello
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:37:40 PM »
Welcome aboard. 

I here by appoint you the resident guru on Mighty mite.  (Just thought I tell you) 

We got a couple of guys her from your state and I have a bunch of relatives that live there (mother born in MO).

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline ozarkgem

• New Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:36:00 AM »
I don't know about  guru but I did make some changes to the mill. I made the dogs all hydraulic. got tired of walking around the mill after every cut. I made the blade guide hydraulic adjustable. Put a 20 HP electric motor on it. Now i need a bigger hydraulic pump. I am gathering parts to build me a new mill. I have looked at a lot of mills and they all have things i like about them but none have all the things i like in one mill. Soooooo I will fire up the mill and lathe and make one to suit me. It will be a kick ass mill. just set in one place and make lumber. i will make an auto stacker and slab bundler for it also. My profession for the last 20 yrs is factory automation. so i look at everything and think how can i automate this operation. Some times it works and sometimes it does'nt.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 06:21:03 AM »
Welcome to the club, glad to have you!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »
Welcome to the site Ozarkgem!  Glad to have you here. 

I second Steve's motion on Mighty might guru!  ;D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline ozarkgem

• New Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:31:50 PM »
I see you are sawing some Bois D'arc trees or Hedge as we call them. Man are they dense. I sawed a few but no more. There is a store in  Springfield that sells Osage Orange for 8.00 a bd ft. I do have lots of Hedge on my place but will just make post out of them.. I did find if you let them set for a couple of weeks the white sap dries and it is easier to saw. I sawed a fresh cut one and it really gummed up the blade. i will stick with cedar.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 06:09:10 AM »

Welcome Ozarkgem.

Spent about 13 years south of you near Harrison, Arkansas. Had a Circle mill operation and Dairy.

Don't miss that cold weather.  ;D ;D

Harold

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »
Welcome

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 11:18:52 PM »
Kirk,

Talk to him about pictures!  He asked!
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 09:50:10 AM »
"if someone can walk me through posting pics i will put some of the cabin on here."

All the step by step instructions on posting pics can be found here. http://www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/index.php/topic,58.0.html
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 11:03:29 AM »
Ozarkgem, welcome to the forum.  Drop me a line if you're around Neosho, and I'll buy you a cup of coffee and talk trees and sawmills.  I've been looking for a Mighty-mite to review for Sawmill & Woodlot Management magazine.  I didn't know there were any in this part of the country.  I like hedge... just found a mess of it in Carthage that the guy'll just give me if I'll haul it off.  That'll keep me out of trouble for the next couple of weekends!
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch