alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: I bought a new saw mill and new to this site.  (Read 57845 times)

Offline wade

• Contributor
I bought a new saw mill and new to this site.
« on: March 25, 2013, 01:03:41 AM »
 I bought a new saw mill. It was a long search and narrowed it down to 2 companies with in my needs to start out part time.
Looking for a place to share info and learn from others.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: I bought a new saw mill and new to this site.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:58:03 AM »
Welcome to the group. Lots of knowledge available here.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 06:59:05 AM »
 Just settle in here and tell us about yourself and your plans.

Ask questions and we will do our best to get you up and running.

Welcome to the Forum.

Harold

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:18:34 PM »
Welcome to S&T Wade.   :)
Which mill did you get and where are you from?  ;D
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 01:57:14 AM »
Welcome aboard.  what kind of mill did you get?
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 12:23:36 PM »
About my self, I'm about 53 and I've lived in a woods joined with one of my dads farms in a home I build in 83. The woods is about 30 acres with lots of maple, ash, walnut, and some other mixes. I have cut a lot of fire wood in the past but most of that from his other farms. This woods where I live has a lot of (I will call young timber) 18" and down. There is more bigger trees from 20-26 inch trees also and a some trees over 40 inches I plan to leave alone. I'm not interested in clear cutting as this is where I live but look at this as a part time income.  There has been several storms came through this area where as many of bigger trees came down and many of the wild cherry trees are dieing do to wood peckers and bugs going after them as well as the beach trees here.
I started hauling trees up to the house that many are drying now.I collected about 30 logs from 8-16" long now just laying on the ground or were standing dead with the bark falling off. I use my 2504 IH with hydro loader or my dads skid loader with forks to hall them to the house. I don't drag then it gets them dirty plus I wont my blades to last as long as they can between sharps. So I have a good start with trees I did not waist.
  I ordered the saw mill last week and there was an issue this week but now every thing has been worked out and should be here the next day or 2. I am a 6' plus tall person and don't like to bend over a lot so some adapting to my frame will handle the new mill to my working height. I done a lot of searching for different mills and pricing not much opinions out there yet of what I bought. The mill I bought has a 20.5hp engine cuts up to 28" log and has a 4 post head. uses  1 and 1/4 inch blades and is all steel except for the gas and water lube tanks. It's all ready put together and welded constructed. When the mill is sitting on my property and I have had a chance to check it out more, I will return here and let you know what it is. I live in Ohio.

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 03:07:52 AM »
OK, I bought a Timbery 280 plus. It's in the barn and it looks really nice. It is heavy construction for a small mill. The bed sections are welded. It is going on a very heavy trailer I all ready have. That Subaru - Robin  20.5 HP electric start engine looks like a beast. It even came with a tack and hr meter, I'm excited! It has some user friendly options built into the unit. It has 2 horizontal and one vertical  sealed barrings that ride on both sides of the rail of the bed with additional wheel under the rail to secure the 4 post head on the bed.

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 07:48:43 AM »
Wade,

Congratulations on getting your mill.  I'm not familiar with that brand but got an introduction on their website.  I'll bet you can't wait to start sawing lumber.  ;D
Keep us informed as you start making sawdust & remember to take pictures.
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 12:19:48 AM »
May be you guys could tell me the kinds of mills you have, the average size log you saw.
I'm all so interested in knowing what lumber yards prefer to buy from sawyers? We have a saw mill company  local from this area. I here they buy lumber even green from guys  that cut for others. So I was wondering do they like cants, boards and such? How about cabinet builders, how do they like there lumber cut?
Advise, Wade.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 07:14:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the mill!  You'll need more chain saws, winches, cant hooks, and a variety of other toys equipment to go with it.  I had to do a Google search, since I'm not familiar with Timbery.  Is it portable?  The controls and drive mechanism look a lot like a Norwood, so I might be able to help you out there, if you run into any snags.  As for general milling, learn on a few low quality logs, and don't be to hard on yourself when you cut into a clamp or log stop.  It's part of the learning curve.

You need to talk to the lumber yard or cabinet maker to find out what they want.  I deal straight with the end user and come out much better than I would if I sold to a lumber yard.  Once word gets out, customers will find you.  Cabinet makers will want kiln dry wood, and are picky about the grade-- but the prices are much better.  Again, you'll just have to ask them.

Sounds like you've got a good head start on the logs.  You've got to be itching to slice them up!  I run a Norwood portable sawmill in southwest Missouri (just south of Joplin).  It handles up to 34" diameter logs, though I've milled bigger.  Lots of oak, some walnut, hickory, and some sassafras, mulberry, persimmon, sycamore, hedge, and honeylocust.  Still milling some logs salvaged from the 2011 Joplin tornado.

Send photos when you get a chance!
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »
Yes, thanks for your reply, the Mx34 I all most bought. As I was told, the engineer that helped in the design of that mill quit and redesigned the Timbery. Now part owner of WM. ( things they don't wont you to know), but true. I bought the mill from a dealership that sales WM. But again (WM don't wont you to know that). I've been told things before.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »
Timbery is an owner of Wood Mizer?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 02:39:17 AM »
I got that back wards, sorry WM. They own or partly own Timbery is what I heard.

Offline sawdog

• mountainside sawmill and wood works
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »
Well Wade i cut with a 1220 tk. 20hp.its been a great mill i pressure wash my logs before milling man what a difference. good luck with the new mill and happy sawmilling.
C. Scott. Gravlee

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 11:20:10 PM »
Well my wife , son, brother, his son, a friend and me cut 2 logs yesterday. One ash and a popular. Every thing went well. Now it is back in the barn as I get ready to add more home made accessories to help save my back. Here some picks.

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 11:29:27 PM »
Well I'm having problems posting some pictures, may be some one can explain how I do it here.
( how to add pictures to my reply)

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
 :(

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
Wade,

Congratulations on sawing your first boards with your new mill.  Here is a link to the instructions for posting photos in your replies.

http://www.sawmillandtimb...index.php/topic,58.0.html

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »
 Wade
 First thing you need to do is reduce the size of the photos to 450 X 450. You need an image manipulation program, like Photoshop, xat and others. Xat is a free download, last I knew.

Once the photos are reduced and put in a folder on your computer, you are set to go.

When you make a post, scroll down and click "additional options", then find the "attach" box, and the browse button. That will take you to your folder on your computer, where you can "open" the photo you want to post.

The rest is easy. I just don't remember exactly what it tells you.  Just go slow, and it works out fine. If not, report back here for more help.

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »
I reduced size and am able to send them to others by email just fine, but not here. So I will try another time.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
 Lets see if this works

OK. I just don't see a problem. Maybe tell us how you tried to do it ?? I think you are missing 1 step in the process ??

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 11:27:24 AM »
This is what I done, First I put a short message in the quick reply box. then spell check, preview,  then click onto additional options, then bring up my file with reduced size pictures, drag to attachment box, then post. Some time passes when nothing happens and finally a red out lined box comes up saying the file is to large or an error accrued.

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »
I'm sure the problem is with me.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 12:50:17 PM »

I don't know if drag works. I just double click on the photo, or, single click then click on open. It put all the photo info IN that attach box. Then, hit preview, then post.

I believe that's all you have to do.
 Works for me.  ;D ;D

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 01:09:15 AM »
Timbery 280

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 01:14:37 AM »
Timbery 280

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 01:20:03 AM »
Timbery 280

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 01:24:40 AM »
Timbery 280

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2013, 01:26:25 AM »
Timbery 280

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2013, 01:34:12 AM »
Timbery 280

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 07:21:08 AM »
If you set up your own gallery and load them into that the pictures are much larger and easier to see. 
Post # 7 has all the steps.
http://www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/index.php/topic,58.0/all.html

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 07:22:42 AM »
 Alright, you got the hard part done. Now, You need to take each photo and make them larger.

What program did you use to make them smaller ??  You may not need to make them smaller, according to the program you used.

I know this is against what I told you a few days ago, but, I'm used to Photoshop. Out of my camera, the photos are 33%. I take them up to 100%, then reduce the size to roughly 450 horizontal X whatever the program does to keep the photo shape. That means you don't squish it up one way or the other.

Once we know what program you use, we can sort out the small photo issue.

You are so close to getting it.  Good job so far.  8) 8)

After going back to view your photos, do you see the 79X59 after the last photo ?? That should be about 450 X 400 or something??  Just look close to see what you have and then proceed.

I personally don't use a gallery, but, that's just my way to do photos.

Kirk beat me to the response, so, see what he suggests and then decide which way to go.

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 01:12:07 AM »
OK, My pictures go into a library from my windows 7 program. Windows explorer, I think. I use Foxfire as my brouser only. When I click the attachment here to add picture, this library pops up. There is no edit for choices that I can find, so I added photo gallery program and added my pictures to this program where I can edit the picture and size them. They start out at 100% from the other program then I size them from that. I was able to send these small pictures at 14% and if bigger they would be rejected for being over 40 KB. I can take the same picture and send them out as an email and they look good. Ive tried 450x450 in the edit program but they still come out over the 40KB. I'm willing to try another free program but this photo gallery seems to know and has options if I know what to change them to.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 08:33:53 AM »
I haven't tried this yet (just found it) but you may have too good of a camera.  Look through the menu on the camera and see if you can save the pictures at a lower resolution.  If you start at a lower resolution (less pixels)  then the size of the picture doesn't get so small when you reduce it to fit the forum.

I just wish we had an automatic reducer available in the forum.  Pictures are a hassle!

Are you related to the Wades from around Leeton. MO?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:53:42 AM by Stevem »
Stevem

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 01:38:52 PM »
I'm looking here in the menu at (image mode) - set at 4000x3000 now. The lowest setting I see is .640x480 VGA. There are 6 other settings.

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 11:17:43 PM »
I wouldn't reduce the image size in your camera, you can never get that detail back and you might find a use for it someday.  Use a program to reduce the size of the photos you decide to post.  There are a lot of programs out there, a very versatile one, and its free, is Irfanview (irfanview.com). 

Open your picture in the program and select the Image tab - Resize, Resample.  That gives you a lot of options for resizing.  Keep in mind there are two components to an image for posting.  One is the image size (in pixels), the other is the compression rate.  There are varying rates of compression for .jpg files.  You can end up with the same size photo displayed but different file sizes.  It will give you a slider between smaller file size and finer detail.  Somewhere in the middle will give a small file size with a decent image. 

The smaller file sizes (greater compression) will pixelate if you blow them up but in most cases the photo is there to illustrate a point and isn't going to be used for fine analysis or for graphics printing.  If you do need that you will still have the original in a high resolution format.   :)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
http://xat.com image optimizer works great and the instructions are in the details in the link above. 

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 02:12:24 AM »
I down loaded that program, thanks. now I have to learn how to use it.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 08:18:19 AM »

That's a pretty simple program to use. Looking forward to seeing photos.  ;D

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »
Meanwhile, how about an update on how you're getting along with the mill?  Interesting history of Timbery & WM.  Not the first time something like that has happened.  What are you milling these days?
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 12:21:46 AM »
This is a Timbery 280 portable mill that I added to a trailer of my own so I could store in my barn or go to some ones place to saw lumber. According to the manufacture tag, the mill was made in Greensburg, IN. by Fabrique Par: Timbery. I have researched this compay and find they make several products in Canada, such as Ag equipment, trailers and other steel specialty equipment. As I understand, one of the engineers that either helped or designed the norwood mx34 Left that company and designed this mill. That is why the guides and controls are similar. I was going to buy the mx34 until I came up with this mill due to several factors such as price, welded construction, optional engines,option prices and most of all the prompt answering of questions I had answered quickly with personal phone calls as well as videos they made on the spot showing the answers I wonted. This mill was completely built, welded and the engine came with a 5 yr warranty. I rather not comment to much about WM involvement as to if they bought into or are helping the engineer sell this mill. I have been told the story but can't seem to find much on the net about any facts. But I will say, I bought this mill from a WM dealer and it is running on WM blades. Over all the dealer I bought from check with me regularly to answer questions and to see how it is doing.
  This is a manual mill, I have installed a wench to turn the logs and have other plans down the road. The company is offering a power feed as well as power lift towards the end of the year. It's really nice pushing the handle as it speeds up the engine, turns on the water feed and engages the blade. I went with the 20.5 engine and seems to have plenty of power that includes a rpm and hr gauges. It's not a big time mill as it will cut up to a 28 inch log. Most of the trees here are under 28 inch, so I thought I really did not need the 34 inch mill. Ive been cutting mostly on the weekend. I have cut only 6 logs at 13 feet long at the most and have used 2 blades so far. I have cut popular which cuts like butter. I have cut Ash, easy to cut but a little harder, kinda looks like red oak. Now I have recently cut some cherry. ( I have lots of cherry here to cut). This seems to be pretty hard stuff compaired to the rest Ive cut so fare. I stacked my first pile on wood wrong, and mixed it all together. This weekend I went through the pile and re stacked every thing. So now I have 3 piles so far with all the strips in line as they are to be and have each stack with only each kind of wood. I cover each pile with tin roofing then I stack cement blocks on top. I plan to keep cutting, making more stacks of wood till I have all my logs cut. I have about 50 logs ready now. Most of them are stacked on top of each other off the ground in different piles depending on the type of wood. After that all done, my plan is to build a kiln shed, storage shed and then a new home for the mill. After that start selling inventory. I live on a farm have a full time job else where and have to satisfy my wife once in a while so this may take a while but it is fun. I have no problem getting the logs on the mill as I have a tractor with loader and now with forks which make the job much better to do.

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 12:53:49 AM »
Some of my logs, the bark all ready came off and others the bark is about to fall off. some of the logs still have the bark on such as the cherry and walnut, which I'm saving till I  have a little more experience cutting. I've been putting cement blocks on to the ground and trying to set them out on level ground. I put the blocks every 2 feet and 2 in a row each. This way more air can get around the stack as well as the tin width. Ive seen some guys using plastic and surround there stack, calling it a solar ken but I'd think more air would dry the wood just keeping it covered from the sun and rain so is why I'm doing as I am so far. The stickers I use are left over from the edges or peaces not suited for boards, 1" thick by 2" wide and some times 1" wide. Comments welcome on my strips please (right or wrong) on that.
  I'm not banding so I stack cement blocks on top of the tin to help put pressure down on the boards as well as hold down the cover from the wind. ( is this a good idea about the weight on top?)
 Most all the cherry I'm cutting 1" boards for flooring of cabinets. ( Is this right or should I cut them thicker?) What is your thought. I don't figure I will use the cherry but sell it later. In these parts cherry sells close to the same as walnut so I don't wont to wast it making material for my sheds. Any ideas on thickness of what most cabinet builders would desire would be helpful before i cut any more of that good stuff up. Ive done a lot of reading on the stacking but I'm still a wet behind the ears on this line of work, so let me know if what I told you here needs some tweeking.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 01:10:29 AM »
Most furniture wood is cut as 4/4 (four quarter).  Finished size of a 4/4 can't be less than 15/16".  I generally cut my 4/4 at 1 1/8"  to allow for shrinkage and planing and slightly thicker (but not much) if I'm cutting quarter sawn .  Quarter sawn shrinks just a little bit more than flat sawn.  That's a good general rule but it probably depends on the wood species.
Stevem

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2013, 08:33:51 AM »
Great to hear the mill is up and running.  Proper stacking for air drying is on of the most over-looked parts of running a mill, so keep those stacks straight.  Weight on top is a good idea.  I love cutting cherry.  Good sharp blade, and it's a breeze (especially compared to hickory and Osage orange).

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2013, 01:12:09 AM »
Sense my last comments on here I have not cut any wood. I have been fixing tile in the fields and working on my latest project on the mill in adding a hydraulic system. I made a log turner / cant turner combo. I have the pump and controls yet to put on before I try it out.
One cylinder moves from one side to the other across the bed and the other cylinder moves up and down. All under the log. I'm using a self contained hydro unit off a lift gate from a big truck that runs off 12 volt.
Just trying to find ways to save time and my back. So far I have about 400. bucks in it. My dad gave me the pump unit and cylinders. I had the steel, using 3 1/2 inch square 1/4 inch  thick tubing with a 4" square peace that slides over for the side to side movement. A 3" dia cylinder with 1 inch shaft fits in a 3 1/2 square tube vertically for the up and down with a support 1"  bore shaft hooked with it.  approx., 13 " lift .If this works well I will probably make a you tube video and post it on line. It may be a little over kill but this way I will be sawing more and fixing less. I made it so if some part of it breaks, it can be taken apart plus the lifting  plate can be easily change for other applications.
Thanks for your comments on the weight on top of the stacks, I was thinking the same.
Before I bought my mill I looked into the hydraulic systems some mills have to offer and thought they were pricy. So the plan was in the back of my mind to install parts of the system before I really got involved in the milling hobby.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2013, 08:36:41 AM »

Sounds like you have it figured out.  When we built our mill, we copied WoodMizer, just made it wider and higher for cutting larger sinker logs.

We used a power pack from a hydraulic dump wagon or pickup bed. Got it from Surplus center in Nebraska.

Without the electric/hydraulic clamp, we would have a crappy mill, even though it will produce as much per day as an LT40 hydraulic Woodmizer.

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2013, 12:27:09 AM »
That's probably what I should call this attachment ( a log clamp ). I added a feature to it so the head could be changed in case it don't wont to turn the log, but It should help in turning cants and locking them in well. Ive seen them on videos as well as WM and NW which both of these companies claim you all so need the log turner, may be so. I wonted to buy a mill with all this stuff all ready on, I just could not justify the price tag.
What is a sinker log? and you made your own mill, that is great! I looked into doing that but decided to buy one and then do the adding.

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2013, 12:30:51 AM »
how long  of a log can you cut?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2013, 06:44:29 PM »

Sinker logs are logs cut over 100 years ago and rafted together in the river for transport. Some logs never made it out of the swamps or sank when they got in deeper water. We dove in black water (swamp water with NO visibility) to recover these logs.

We built a large plywood barge to lift the logs off the bottom and carry them to the landing. We had 4--24' long 6" X 8" beams running crossways to secure the pontoons and tie up the logs under the beams for transport.

We sawed those 24' beams on our mill. Actually, they were replacement beams for the originals that I sawed with my chainsaw, freehand. They were poor quality Pine, but, being poor, we had to use what was available.  ;D

I really hope you get to posting photos , so we can all see what you came up with. Be more than willing to help you get the posting photos done correctly.

Our electric screw clamp with hydraulic cylinder lift cylinder works exceptionally well for being home made. If you look in the for sale area, our mill is listed ther, with photos.

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2013, 02:50:32 AM »
Is that your mill with the green blade guard? Is that you standing in front of it? Thous logs you pulled out of the swamp must be worth a lot of money for all the work you had to do to get them out. What made you to decide to live in Costa Rica. I have a friend that moved there to be with his girl friend. I have not heard from him sense he left. I here the people there are pretty easy going. I know a teacher that takes students there in the summer for a trip.Ive seen some of her pictures, lots of nice areas to visit.
 Ive been to the Philippines 3 times and Canada about 20 times.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2013, 09:28:27 AM »

??? Where did you find photos of a green blade cover ??? I can't find ANY photos of our mill. I will post a couple photos of the clamp system we built.

I came down to CR to retire, where I could afford to live, and get away from cold weather.  Bought a small place and planted it full of trees. Now, we are getting near time to start thinning out some of the larger trees, (10"+ dia.) This is after only 6½ years after planting.