alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Pignut Hickory and Wild Black Cherry in the Woodmizer LT10  (Read 16626 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Whew, seems like when your having a good time....you forget to pace yourself and end up doing more then you should.  Needless to say, just a little sore now.  But that is to be expected after moving a 'green' Wild Black Cherry(Prunus serotina) log around the end of the stack and putting it on the mill, rolling it around for about an hour(okay, maybe it was like 20minutes-but it sure felt like an hour).

First things first.  Finished the Pignut Hickory(Carya glabra) log up.  I had to cut a 3" slab off the opposite side and then I flipped that 90* and made a bunch of 15-1/4" wide, 1" thickness boards.  The neighbor down the street is going to use a few of them to make a king size bed.....so I made sure he had enough that would 'book-match' nicely and then I made some 4x4's for the postings.

and let's flip them over!

The smaller slices are 6" wide, and will end up as pen blanks!  Unless someone needs some turkey slate blanks before I get carried away!

Then it was time to do some heavy rolling!  The Wild Black Cherry(Prunus serotina) was a series of endless crotches, and I wanted to slice right through the center of the crotch to get that 'flaming' effect....sometimes it's really awesome, sometimes not so much.  But here is a photo of it sitting on the mill bunk(before trimming down to get the saw head to pass over).

Needless to say, I should have quite right after this one was loaded and clamped.  Those 'green' fletches are heavy....really heavy!  The max width the mill can handle is 20", and this one rubbed the guides on both sides at a few spots!  Again, I cut them 1" thickness.

continued.....
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Re: Pignut Hickory and Wild Black Cherry in the Woodmizer LT10
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 04:07:35 PM »
And the close-up of the crotch area....

While not really what I'd consider 'awesomeness'....in a way it's just....nice.

Some other photo's from today, just to keep everyone happy until the boring video can be downloaded and processed(battery needs recharging before that can happen).

More Pignut?

Thanks for looking!  I'm glad the sun came out!!

Scott (who wants 'em) B

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:31:38 AM »
Got them both loaded.....whew!

Part 1:

Part 2:

Had a little fun, had a few issues, and now everyone can watch!

Scott (not like y'all don't do this anyway) B

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:31:27 AM »

Them are some pretty boards.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 06:52:37 AM »
Them are some pretty boards.

Already re-sawn one of them into chunks for someone.  Thinking maybe the Cherry stuff is better then I originally thought?  Although, the width of the sapwood is just crazy!

Scott (everythin is fun) B

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 08:10:40 AM »

Did that Cherry grow near an opening where not much shade was available?

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »
Did that Cherry grow near an opening where not much shade was available?

Middle of a field, I cut it down as a 'favor' to the landowner while cutting ERC.  Then it was one of those, what the heck....I'll cut it up.

Would have thought the growth of the tree would have been stunted somewhat by the last few years(we've been in a drought as long as I can remember here ~ at least according to the weather service), unless they are fudging those numbers as well(think global warming crowd)?!?!?!?

Got another few chunks from this tree remaining, one on the mill waiting for me to cut it, and one on the trailer still.  I am hoping to get those two pieces done this coming weekend.

Scott (more photo's to come later) B

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »

I was thinking that was an open area tree. Accounts for all the sapwood the way I figure it.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 08:02:12 AM »
Good new is...the first photo.  The 15" wide boards are all sold!  That pays for gas for the rest of the year in the mill!(plus some)

Weatherman is doing a great job here.  We went from 10% chance of rain over the weekend to 50%....so maybe I'll just make some stuff on the lathe?  I like milling, but I don't like doing it in a cold rain.

Scott (momma didn't raise a complete fool) B

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 09:45:35 AM »
I tell prospective customers. "I don't saw in the rain"  That keeps me home about half the year.  Gotta retire some time.  :laugh:
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!