alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: NO MORE POWER POLES FOR ME!!  (Read 7190 times)

Offline Larrywoodsaw

• New Contributor
NO MORE POWER POLES FOR ME!!
« on: June 04, 2013, 11:01:39 PM »
I went the other day to try cutting up some power poles for a guy. I told him he needs a metal detector and if I hit a nail he's buying the blade. Well second log hit a nail no metal detector and rocks embedded in the cracks. I sawed 10 logs went through 4 blades. I will never cut ever again. Nasty stuff.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: NO MORE POWER POLES FOR ME!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 05:56:48 AM »

There are many guys that do saw power poles. One thing is, you need to have the lower part cut off the pole. That is where the creosote was and it will have stuff stuck to it. It is loaded with creosote, as it will slowly drain down from standing many years.

The Cedar poles are usually not a problem to saw, just the Pine poles.

A word of advice, get a decent detector. There can be all sorts of hardware inside a pole.

There are better blades to use on poles, and, many guys have reused the blade that hit metal. Usually, it has a curl of metal stuck to the teeth of the blade. A pocket knife or something will usually pop it off.

Cracks in the poles you can position the pole so the cracks are contained in the edge of the board.

Not saying sawing poles is a great idea, but, Kirk, for instance, has sawn a lot of poles, as have many other guys.  Just sayin.  ;D

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
Re: NO MORE POWER POLES FOR ME!!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:19:11 AM »
I'm with you on that one.  One job (quartering poles for fence posts) was enough to convince me.  The EPA considers the sawdust a hazardous waste.  A proper cleanup would cost more that you'd make, plus you've got that stuff blowing back in your face.  Other than the blade, I've never found a reliable rock detector.
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch