alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Portable Mills Needed in Oklahoma  (Read 12157 times)

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
Portable Mills Needed in Oklahoma
« on: June 13, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »
The Oklahoma Forestry Extension Service is looking for portable sawmills to help salvage lumber from trees blown down in the Moore & Oklahoma City tornadoes a few weeks ago.  If your idea of a good time is milling logs with metal and storm debris embedded in them, in 90o+ heat, leave a reply to this posting or send me a PM.  I will post more info as it becomes available.  Logs are already piling up!
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: Portable Mills Needed in Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »

Think I will pass. I'm remodeling my Peterson.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 02:49:50 PM »
Pity,  It'd be nice to have a swing mill to cut some of those yard trees.  You could always help offbear one of the portable sawmills! :P
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »

At MY age, I don't even off bear my OWN mill.  ;D ;D  That's what my wife does. I help with the 2 X 8's over 12' long, though.  :o ;D ;D

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »
Oh, and I thought the title "Senior Contributor" under your name meant that you'd been on the forum for a while!  :D  What remodeling are you doing to the Peterson?  I've always been intrigued by the swing blade mills.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 12:50:37 PM »
 I HAVE been on this forum for quite a while. Registered here in 2009.  ;D ;D

Petersons are VERY portable mills, and mine will be, with the added band sawhead.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:09:24 AM »
So you're building a hybrid swing blade/ band saw mill that uses the same track?  Now you've got my attention!  Hope you'll post some photos with updates on how it is working for you.  Best of luck.  Nice photo, by the way.  I love to work with the big stuff, though in these parts 1 meter diameter is "big".

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 09:19:34 AM »
 I'm financially challenged, so, this conversion will take a little time. I already have the saw head built. Need to find a couple cheap used tires for the blade wheels. Have to mount the roller guides, and finish the sheet metal covers. Mounting to the carriage is not a big deal, once I figure out how to get around the "V" bracing of the 2 braces that control side sway.

Need to get the 20HP Honda running, then, see how she saws. I have a 36" Mango log and several others waiting, spalting, etc.  ;D

This, along with building my "DR" --"CR" string type trimmer, for cutting the pasture grass and weeds around all our trees, and, getting my Electric Moto-Bike finished up and using it to go to town for parts.

AND, building all 3 of the Solar Panels I need to charge batteries for our home electricity system, once I get the batteries.

AND, building the micro-hydro generator to charge the batteries I don't have, yet.  ::) ::) :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 07:39:30 AM »
So what do you do in your spare time? ???  Hope you'll keep us posted!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 11:38:59 AM »

I got LOTS of spare time, I'm retarded--retired.  ;D ;D  We are hand rolling small clay balls for our aquaponics garden. Then, after they dry, I burn them in a very hot bed of coals. That way, they don't disintegrate in the water.  ;D

I will post updates as I go.

Went to town this morning, to buy 2 ball bearings and a 4" pulley.  The pulleys they sell have NO holes.  :o ???

I asked them, how the hell do I get that onto the shaft. Answer was, go down here 300 meters, turn right, go 500 meters, and turn left, and go up the hill. That guy has a lathe, BUT, he may not be there.  ::) ::)

I'm headed out to the shop to turn a HARD wooden one on my homemade wood lathe  ::)