alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Can you crosscut with a bandsaw mill  (Read 29707 times)

Offline bbergami

• New Contributor
Can you crosscut with a bandsaw mill
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:19:59 AM »
Hi,
I'm fairly new to using a bandsaw mill. Is it safe to crosscut sections of a log if I can figure out a way to clamp them to the bed?

I was looking to make some stool tops. I know a chainsaw would be the quickest but the sawmill would make parallel cuts.

Thanks
Bert

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
Re: Can you crosscut with a bandsaw mill
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:16:19 AM »
I've done it on my band sawmill.  First attempt was a disaster.  The log spun in the clamps pulled the blade off the bandwheels and bent the blade so badly I couldn't salvage it.  Four things to consider:
1. A good clamping system is critical
2. Use a blade with a 4 degree hook angle, if possible.  It is less likely to grab the log and dislodge it from the clamps.
3. Don't rush the cut.  Feed it slow, but use full throttle.
4. A good clamping system is critical.
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline bbergami

• New Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply...   I was afraid of exactly what you had happen to you. I've busted a couple of blades now and it will make you a bit jumpy. I'll have to come up with a good way to clamp it and give it a try.

Thanks

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »
 What brand mill and clamp are you using ??  We cut probably 300 "cookies" with ours, of different varieties.

We also cut a bunch of ovals, also.

Offline bbergami

• New Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:18:48 PM »
I'm using a homebuilt fron Linn Lumber 1900 plans. The clamping system in their design is adequate for logs running horizontal, but It needs something more for log mounted vertically.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:19:40 PM »
I have cross cut quite a few chunks for customers.

Hydraulic Clamp is KEY! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 07:09:25 AM »

Without photos of your mill, it's difficult to make suggestions.

I would try to build a couple "V" boxes, so you can place one flat against the frame and use a bottle jack or similar to place against the other "V" flat, to squeeze the log pieces. That way you have a wrap around clamp system.

I can't figure out how to make the shape with the keyboard, so, think a "K" shape. Hey, that worked  ;D ;D

This is looking down from the top of that "K0" shape, the "0" being the log . 2 of these, V to V will hug the log pieces and give more stability.

We have the WM type hydraulic clamp, so, we don't have your problem.

Offline bbergami

• New Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 05:03:30 PM »
You drew a pretty good picture with just a few letters.... I've got a spot on my track where I put 2x2 tubes between each angle rail 3' apart where I can clamp short logs if I want to.  That would work perfect using them as a guide to mount the clamp you described. Thanks

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 06:26:26 PM »

Glad to help. Next time you log on, we expect PHOTOS.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bbergami

• New Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 08:58:57 AM »
OK, I don't have that many pictures but here's one.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »
 Good photo.

NOW, IF you are interested, I could advise you how to build a hydraulic-electric clamp, or even, an all electric clamp. It will fit on the mill track-bed, so, not have to be moved. It's not difficult if you have a welder and bandsaw or GOOD hacksaw blades. Gearing for the advance retract is crucial. You could use a wheelchair geared motor. We did, but, it was too slow for us. We needed production, so, bought a gearmotor for $125.00  ::) ;D  It's a 12V rig, so, a battery charged will last all day. Where is the mill kept used? Is it stationary, even easier to mod. Make a frame to drop in and bolt or weld to your track frame.

The up-down we used a used outdrive lift cylinder from a Cobra Johnrude  ;D outdrive from a marine application. You will be surprised how easily you can move logs-cants, with a little engineering. No several trips to lock-unlock a lever, adjust for height, etc.

IF you have good "scrounging" genes, it's a fairly easy project. I HATES to have to high step over frames to do any adjusting.  ::) ;D

Let me know if you are interested.

Offline bbergami

• New Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 08:03:57 AM »
I know about that high step. I busted my ### last weekend when I stepped on a chunk of wood and fell backwards over the track. I was darn lucky I didn't break my leg.

The mill is stationary in East Texas. I live 110 miles away in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. It is 50' away from my barn, so I could get power to it if I need it. I would love to put a hyd/elect clamping and leveling on it. I welcome any advise you have. I've got the tools I need to do it.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »

I will draw up a diagram and post it to your email account. I should patent the thing, but, I'm a po' boy.  ;D :laugh: :laugh:  Give me a few days. I'm busier than a 3 peckered goat.  :laugh: :laugh:

If you get to the mill, I would need the measurements of:

1-- Between the bunks where you present clamp is. IF you use 2 clamps, measure at the place where an 8' log will sit and center more or less that measurement.

NAAH. Let me draw up a rough sketch where I need the measurements, and get that to you, first.  Send me your email address.

Offline bbergami

• New Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »

I won't be with the mill until next weekend. I can get the measurements then.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:17:20 PM by Kirk Allen »

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 06:20:47 PM »

Not a problem. That will give me time to do the first drawing for what I need measured.

Now, delete your email address, to avoid spam.  ;D ;D

Offline bbergami

• New Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 07:38:11 AM »
How do I delete it?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 01:00:30 PM »

If you don't have modify option in the top right corner of that post, you need to click report to mod, and ask Kirk to delete that post. It's not a good idea to post an email address without breaking it up, for instance :  brokeneck at sawmill dot com. When you post a real address, as you did, the bots that scan the internet could pick it out of your post, because it automatically highlights it, among other possibilities.

Offline bbergami

• New Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 07:59:48 AM »
Looks like someone did it for me. Thanks

Not to change the subject, but I noticed your Costa Rica link on your post. Are you in the La Fortuna area?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 08:09:17 AM »

In a straight line, about 20 miles away from Fortuna.  Have an awesome view of the Arenal Volcano. This photo was taken standing at my fence line on the south side of our farm, and I zoomed in for clarity.  ;D

You familiar with Fortuna ?? If you ever get down this way, let me know.  ;D ;D

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 09:00:05 AM »
Back to the crosscut issue, here is a link to a Youtube video by San Juan Carpentry that shows it being done on a Norwood portable sawmill.  Might give you some clamping ideas.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMhhbqe6YcM
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline bbergami

• New Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
Thanks for the video link. That's ecactly what I was lookking for.

Harold...We were there on vacation in 05 and 06 (the only 2 vacations I've had in 25 years). It's truly a beautiful place and I'de love to go back someday. I remember sitting there for hours just watching Arenal. I heard it stopped erupting a few years back. We also did a couple of full day atv trips, it was great.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »

OK. First, I imagine Kirk had read our posts and he deleted what was necessary, for you.  ;D

Second, Arenal only "erupts" when it gets a pressure buildup. It is always sending out smoke or steam, and, it makes it's own cloud cover on very calm days. Last time it "erupted", that I know of, was more than 15 years ago. We can watch it at night, with binoculars, if it is a cloudless night, (dry season), and can see hot rocks (red) crashing down the hill side. It is also possible, with binoculars, to see ash dust kicked up by tumpling rocks during daylight hours.

I haven't heard it "puffing" ,"burping", "thundering", in several months. Sometimes you would think a thunder storm was making up, but, it's only Arenal clearing it's throat.  ;D ;D :laugh:

I will look at that link that was posted, to see if that's a good, easy way to make what you need.

Offline bbergami

• New Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 11:22:22 AM »
By watching it erupting I meant looking at those red boulders coming down the hill. It looked like some were the size of a house coming down in slow motion. It was fascinating to watch.

I'm still interested in seeing your clamping system. If you have a picture that would be great.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 08:29:29 AM »

I will get to work drawing up what I think will work fine for you.

It will not only hold vertical pieces for cutting rounds and ovals, it will push and hold firmly logs, as well as assist you in turning logs.

Offline bbergami

• New Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 08:50:22 AM »
I was out there over the weekend. Here are a couple pictures and dimensions of the centerlines on my 2x2 tube clamps.