alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Big Mulberry  (Read 12148 times)

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
Big Mulberry
« on: September 06, 2013, 01:27:04 PM »
Last weekend, I had a cutting job with my portable sawmill on what the customer described as a 6' diameter mulberry tree he wanted me to mill.  I assumed he meant 6' circumference, but took a look at it anyway.  Turns out, it held the title of the largest mulberry in Missouri, and was every bit 6' diameter before part of it split and fell down.  Unfortunately, the tree service company that finished the job didn't have sawmilling in mind, and cut a lot of wood too short,  and had it all jumbled together in a big pile, but I managed to mill some respectable boards.  Some of the ugliest logs I'd ever seen, but beautiful boards, full of character.  I modified the clamps so that I could mill "logs" as short as 38", some 28" diameter.  Took all weekend, and I was sure glad I was charging by the hour!  I milled all the logs right in the front yard.  No complaints from the neighbors, and not a single nail in the tree!

Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Big Mulberry
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:54:21 AM »
So what will the end use of the Mulberry boards be? I sawed some Cottonwood once, and after letting it dry completely, it made beautiful cabinets. Mulberry has a yellow wood if I remember?
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:00:13 AM »
I'm not sure what the owners had in mind for it, but I kept a few pieces to try out for dulcimer parts.  Yes, it is a beautiful yellow wood that goes to honey brown with time.  A lot like hedge (both are in the same family).  I've seen some nice cottonwood, too.  I'll cut just about anything-- wood, nails, bolts, log clamps...
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »
Here's a photo of one of the slabs on the sawmill.  Sure was nice to have clamps that could be moved to fit the log!

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:52:58 AM »
Another time I wish I had more time. Haven't sawed a log up in years.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 08:00:47 AM »
Any time you're in the area (20 miles south of Joplin, MO), you're welcome to work for me come play with my sawmill!

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:05:48 AM »
I did not realize you are that close, but.....who has time? I will make a point and stop in. I may have a booth at the Tulsa Farm Show next month.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 10:01:21 AM »
Here's a photo of one of the slabs on the sawmill.  Sure was nice to have clamps that could be moved to fit the log!

Nice looking chunks of wood for sure!

Any chance of a close-up photo of the clamps?  Been trying to think of some 'better' way to clamp things on my mill bunk, even if I loose a tiny bit from the last possible cut thickness(I can get to 3/4" for last cut now)....but it is stumping me.

Scott (get it....stumped) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/