alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Chain questions for a Stihl MS 390  (Read 15588 times)

Offline Vikings.37

• New Contributor
Chain questions for a Stihl MS 390
« on: April 11, 2015, 02:01:01 PM »
Hello forum geeks  :)
I am relatively new in wood working, when it comes to handling a chainsaw. Ive always been the one driving the tractor and handling the log splitter and so on, but now im on the saw too.
We cut down mostly Ash and Beech, and mostly up to like 18"-20" ( 45-50 cm ).
I have got a Stihl MS 390 from my dad, (always used husqvarna but a god damn burgler visitet me one night   >:( ) and im pretty satisfied with it. It came with a 16" bar and a 325 Oregon chain. We also have 2 Stihl MS 392 with 15" bar and 3/8 chain.
For me using the MS 390 i would like to go a size or even 2 up in bar size. Im thinking maybe 18". I like being able to reach thru the cord when cutting them down. Would my Stihl MS 390 be able to pull a 18" bar? And if yes, any suggestions about chains i want to use?
As it is now im using a 4.8 mm file and a simple device to sharpen tooth on the chain. Im considering to buy (i have one already, but thats some cheap shit) a machine to sharpen my chains. A good one.  Do you guys have any suggestions and experience with whats good?
Thank you very much  :)

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Chain questions for a Stihl MS 390
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 09:18:21 PM »
You can pull a 24 inch bar pretty safely, and as long as you keep the chain sharp, it will go like a hot knife.

I have an MS 440, and I have an 18, 24, and a 48 inch bar. I have this sharpener, an Oregon clone, and it works great. Keep the wheel true and you cannot go wrong. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Electric-Chainsaw-CHAIN-GRINDER-SHARPENER-w-Grinding-Wheels-1-8-3-16-/271293219973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2a560485

Welcome to the forum!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Chain questions for a Stihl MS 390
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 02:39:46 PM »
I agree with the above.  You should be able to use up to a Stihl 25" bar no problem, and if you keep the chain sharp as was stated it will cut like butter. I think Oregon makes a 24" bar for the Stihl line but am not certain as I use straight Stihl products. The Stihl product manual states that the 390 can go up to 28 inches in bar length.  Your question regarding the 18-20" bar would be a cakewalk.
I have a 460  (a bit larger than the 390) that I run with a 28" bar and  an older Stihl 026 that pulls a 20" chisel chain very nice.

Any of the Stihl RS loops will work very nice.  I have become partial at times to running the square ground chains but they can be more troublesome to file correctly.  The standard RS chain will work great for you.  Oregon also makes some nice chain for the Stihl setups but some folks believe they do not hold sharpness as well or as long.

I am not a big believer in machine sharpening but there are some good ones out there.  You pay for what you get.  I prefer to hand touch up my loops every tank or so (mostly every other tank) and it minimizes the wear and tear and keeps the chain very sharp.  Machine sharpening can cause you to lose cutter temper if not watched carefully and tends to take off a lot a material that is not always required.  Of course most machine sharpened chain is brought to the sharpener when it is very dull so more is needed to be removed.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.