alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Norwood Chainsaw Mill  (Read 8570 times)

Offline Kenny

• New Contributor
Norwood Chainsaw Mill
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:35:40 PM »
Hi, all. Just wondering what everyones opinion is on the Norwood Portamill chainsaw mill. Thinking about getting one as my first stab at milling. They seem like they are relatively hassle free to use than most other chainsaw mills I've seen. So what do y'all think? Should I even bother with a chainsaw mill?

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: Norwood Chainsaw Mill
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:39:38 AM »

Not familiar with Norwood CSM.

Regarding your doubts:  Not that you will have this use, but, when we were into the "diving for $$" logging deal, I knew 2 different loggers that were sawing 36" + table slabs out of the larger diameter logs.  If they can see a benefit, I don't see any reason you can't be satisfied with one. For logs under 12" diameter, You will have 30% of waste from sawdust and slabs. Chainsaw mills take a ¼" cut, nearly.

There are easy ways to build one, if you are so inclined.  ;D

Have you seen a Ripsaw advertisement ? Check them out. It uses your chainsaw head. You might build one of those by modifying the design ?

The Aluminum tracks are a pricey part of these mills. Down here, the track system is made from wood. Very easy to do. I might could even take a couple of photos, IF my neighbors haven't moved out yet.

No matter what, go for it.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
Re: Norwood Chainsaw Mill
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 03:48:22 PM »
A chain saw mill can be a great way to get started in sawmilling.  I started out with a chain saw mill, and still use it to slab out large (up to 42") logs, and quarter logs that are too big for my band saw mill.  What do you plan to use for a saw?  For small stuff, under 12" dia, you'll be OK with a saw in the 70 cc size class, but pretty soon, you'll want to move up to 100 ccs or bigger.  I suggest you get a ripping chain (the tooth angle is different for a faster, smoother cut).  Eventually, you'll want several different lengths of bars.  I've run Norwood's porta-mill, and been very impressed with it.  I like that you operate the throttle remotely, away from the noise and fumes.  Walking upright as you push the mill through the log is much easier on your back, and raising and lowering the saw with a setworks accurate and consistent.

Main thing is, once you start making sawdust, you'll find yourself "needing" a pickup truck, flatbed trailer, tractor, winch, more chain saws, and a host of other equipment.  Welcome to sawmilling!
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch