alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: 1983 MD with 67 hp Volks edgers and electric lift 30 feet of bed  (Read 43677 times)

Offline goodonya

• New Contributor
1983 MD with 67 hp Volks edgers and electric lift 30 feet of bed
« on: February 12, 2014, 06:26:54 AM »
This mill is 30 years old. I like these MD but I do not know all I know yet. Does 10K sound like way too much? I remember a buddy bought one used for that 20 some years ago. It was the same size and setup accept I do not see the legs in the pictures. I have not made contact yet. I remember he made great use of those legs, sawing from a setup on top of the huge old growth logs out of the river. I enjoyed being a helper and learned a lot from him but really he was a one man show. Gone now ouch.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: 1983 MD with 67 hp Volks edgers and electric lift 30 feet of bed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 03:25:47 PM »
Frank Pender its time to chime in!  Frank is our local MD expert! 

Welcome to the forum.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »
I asked a month ago, where is Frank ???

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »
I shot him an email.  If I don't hear from him by tomorrow I will give him a call.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:53:31 PM »

Maybe Alice finally done him in.  >:D ;D ;D

Offline goodonya

• New Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:15:02 PM »
I was reading around the forum. Frank has a huge amount of knowledge. It seemed like guys kidding him were being more irritating than kidding. Maybe he is not feeling well.

I got some more history on this particular mill today. It is the kind of history I truly enjoy. The fellow was a retired miner and made a living with the mill and had a blast with it. I have a lot more to learn about it. This part is not so happy he has passed on ouch, very well liked, loved and a good guy. I am older myself and am retiring soon.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »
Not quite Harold.  For some of the best history on the mill you are speaking about, I would call the factory and find out the whole history of the mill.   They will have the complete history of all parts, etc of the mill.  With there being no end stands, I might well be less interested in paying that amount of dollars for the mill.  The mill is 31 years old and I and paid $15,000 for my first mill in that year and I got the crossfeed and 4' end stand for that amount.  I build my own trailer system for that first mill.

Offline goodonya

• New Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 05:49:07 PM »
Hello Frank, good to meet you, I am Glenn. The mill is three hundred miles south of me and the weather conditions are the usual winter stuff. I am slow this year to want to drive anywhere at all. I will get down there though. It sounds like a high price to me as well. I did learn that the electric lift is actually a homemade motorized controller for making the board adjustments.
There may well be more parts stacked around the place. He apparently cabbaged up a VW bus with the same engine. I suspect that bus may be his sawmill gangbox as well.
I helped a fellow who is passed away now with his MD of the same type about 20 years ago in Washington. I like that ability to be over the log.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 10:08:26 PM »
I might offer 3 to 5 grand for the mill, after your last posting.  I learned a long time ago, the hard way, used can be something for buying someone elses problems or mistakes. 

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 11:17:15 PM »
the MD engine has some subtle differences from a standard VW engine.  The crankshaft for one won't interchange, but could be such a thing that a good machinist could do the necessary turning on the standard .

If that mill is old enough the track is several inches narrower than the present models and therefore not as ridged. (Check with MD on when they changed) But it is lighter.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!