alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Redwood - Tree to lumber  (Read 13240 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Redwood - Tree to lumber
« on: February 09, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6-lsJP5hPrM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Redwood - Tree to lumber
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:14:23 AM »
Nice thanks for the post
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 12:30:08 AM »
Nice work at a difficult location.
Redwood get huge fast with very wide growth rings if there is no competition. Makes beautiful table tops when slabbed
Wish I could get $4 per foot for the boards!
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 07:26:23 AM »
This was a very good demo, not only of tree removal, but lumber, waste recovery as well, pretty cool stuff. Those Lucas mills are the cat's meow on humpty dumpty logs for sure.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 10:18:51 AM »
It's so hard for me to comprehend that this tree is only 60 years old and 6 feet across at the base!  And it's rot resistant to boot!  Not very strong for building with as I think I remember it's at the bottom for strength in the lumber strength build charts.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
THAT was fun!!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 09:25:38 AM »
The redwood grown in the PNW is not very rot resistance, the sap wood especially, and as noted not very good structurally.  I've seen growth rings just over an inch! Which means the tree is adding 2" in diameter per year.  80 year old tree with a 6' diameter on the stump and a lot of taper.  Tends to lift house foundations.
Stevem

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that redwood decks were popular because the redwood was more rot resistant than regular lumber but cheaper than pressure treated.  Am I remembering wrong?  I'm always after the truth, so if you know about it please share.  Thanks!  :)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 12:49:13 AM »
A friend of mine used to contract taking down the telegraph lines for the railroad, which included getting rid of the poles. On most jobs he gave the poles away, but the ones he did in Arizona had square poles and they were redwood, he got good money for them, and they were quick sellers.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »
Old growth (very tight ringed) redwood is very rot resistant (as are a lot of tight ringed woods) but the fast growth stuff is not.

Old growth redwood also has a fire rating else the San Fran earth quake of history would have had a lot more damage from fires.

I'm leaning toward using the local stuff for board (10") and bat (2") siding.  Not much else you can do with it other picnic tables.   
Stevem

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 07:13:48 PM »
Interesting. 

I imagine you could use it for inside paneling and trim as well.

Thanks for the answer.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 10:37:52 PM »
Live and learn, I too grew up thinking it was rot resistant. I know when I was a kid a lot was used for decks and picnic tables, out door swings and furniture, that sort of things.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »
Fast growth redwood has one big plus in that it gets so big.  50" to 60" on the stump is common in 60 year old trees so it is desirable for big table tops.  It impresses the tourists.  Fresh cut is extremely high in water content so it's heavy until dried.  Had two trees delivered (about 60' each) and the truck was overloaded. 
The wood has thick creamy colored sap wood up to 8", red heart wood and gives very wide slabs. 
We do make "entry level" table tops from the slabs as the wood is very stable once dried but its soft and doesn't take impact very well.  Resin coating helps.
I'd be a little shy about using it on inside walls because of the "dent" factor.
Stevem

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 08:24:57 PM »
Do you tell your entry level customers to treat their new slabs as if it was cardboard?  lol

As you said, resin has to be the answer.  I can't see just oiling it if it's that soft, unless it was in a camp or cabin or something...

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 01:19:27 PM »
Hey Steven
This redwood is in your backyard (Phalomath) if you are interested in milling it....
It is
65" wide
78" tall
21' long
80+ yrs old

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 01:26:54 PM »
Picture didn't attach
The tree had 7 tops so the trunk log is nice and straight....
I can text you pictures of it...
541-671-nineteen ninety three

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 10:51:32 AM »
I just looked at two redwoods that are 8' on the stump and 36' tall in the middle of Salem.  Probably going to pass.  Can't figure out how to get them moved!  I'll send a PM to you.
Stevem

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 11:14:54 PM »
Just curious, but what is you intended use for most of the redwood that you saw, if it is soft and not very rot restistant. I remember it being used for decks years ago, water tanks and even the big industrial cooling towers were built out of redwood, I was always told it was because of it's resistant to rot. My grandad even had a 5 gallon water can built out of redwood, every spring I had to throw it into the stock pond for a few days to swell the wood, so it wouldn't leak.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 03:53:17 PM »
We use it for picnic tables, garden benches and "entry level" slab tables because of the cost is low.
I'm currently looking at two 30' plus redwod trees that are 8' on the stump.  Moving them is going to be the big problem
Stevem

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 06:06:19 PM »
I am assuming that that 30' should actually be 300'.
I can see where moving them might be a wee bit of trouble.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 10:47:16 PM »
Nope, 30' maybe 40',  trees were topped but left standing!
Stevem