alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Three sided logs with a Mobile Dimension  (Read 11104 times)

Offline goodonya

• New Contributor
Three sided logs with a Mobile Dimension
« on: February 15, 2014, 06:01:51 PM »

These logs are very popular here in SouthCentral and Interior Alaska. The size of available white spruce makes these a real choice for lower cost kitbuilders and peope who want to build with them.  I want to start with a couple of small cabins made with these.
The MDs I like have the edger blades. This is a dumb question but it is a start for my new learning curve.
Is there a fast efficient way to set up an MD for making these three side logs? Have mercy on me okay I am kind of slow and kind of dumb.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Three sided logs with a Mobile Dimension
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 10:03:22 PM »
I need to know the original diameter of your logs.  I have made three flat sides on logs, several times.  You will have two sides that will be parallel, one side with the natural side and the third flat side that may not be precisely  parallel to the natural side.  The third flat side is the the challenge that I have faced.

Whe doing this process I have virtually used the bottom edger blade to make the flat surfaces.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
goodonya. I am sure by now you have either got this down, or forgot about it, but if not there is a mill at either Delta or Tok that specialized in 3 sided logs and has both a MD and a band saw. I knew the sawyer that run the md for 4 years and that is exactly what his main job was. He told me he loved it for that use and every pass made a log ready to go. I do not know if he could make 8 in logs, or just 6 in logs, but he told me he did it in one pass.

I do not know the name of the mill, but it was still in business 3 years ago, I do know that.

Offline Nannette

• ทางเข้า sbobet
  • New Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 09:54:54 PM »
I want the administrator to answer the questions completely.

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 10:25:03 PM »

HUH????  I guess I do not understand what you are saying.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 10:50:07 PM »
Kind of rude?

Most certainly depends on the size of the finished product and starting log size.  As I see it, you need to manufacture some kind of wooden squaring arms to hold the log for the third cut to be consistent.  MD sells  a larger bottom edger blade if you are using that for the third cut but I think it's only 6" deep.  Might have a bigger one since I used an MD 30 years ago.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 01:18:32 AM »
I would bet that the guy I mentioned making them in one pass, was making 6 in 3 sided logs. That is a popular size for cabins up here. I would also bet the logs were the right size for them.