alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Pink Maple??  (Read 8023 times)

Offline jennystack

• New Contributor
Pink Maple??
« on: August 23, 2014, 04:47:52 AM »
Last year I purchased some small slabs from an elderly woodturner who was downsizing. All were named, but on two I have since found that the names don't add up.

Through a lot of combing wood ID books I have, the internet, etc I did manage to sort out one confusing name – but with this one I need your help. I am keen to establish the common and botanical name to add this as a sample to the wood species collection I have.

It was labelled 'Pink Maple' – but I can't find a proper match.

So here are the clues with the photos underneath.

1. This fellow had mostly small slabs for turning platters – perhaps the wood would be OK next to food? (or maybe he only made the platters for decoration?)
2. I purchased from him in Adelaide, but the slabs were from all over – Jarrah, Sheoak, Caribbean pine (from Qld), Black Walnut, etc.
3. Due to cost, etc I would say this certainly was not imported.
4. The weight is 'lightish' like maple.
5. Has some spalting.

Any leads would be helpful.

Thanks.

Offline Plowboy

• Contributor
Re: Pink Maple??
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:48:18 AM »
It may be red maple. Not the red maple that you buy from the garden centers and plant in your yard. The type that grow in wetland along with silver maple. I have both types growing in my swamp, you can tell them apart from the bark. The red maple wood is like a salmon pink colour. Both are considered soft maple.