alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Blades  (Read 10739 times)

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Blades
« on: September 25, 2014, 05:18:35 AM »
 What's everyone's favorite blade. after trying  a couple of other brands I'm back to Simonds Red Streak hardback , first and most important they cut straight plus sharpen and set nice and take a lot of sharpening and are reasonable.  Steve

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Blades
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:25:40 PM »
I ran a lot of Simonds Red Streak and had great luck with them.

Once I went to the CBN sharpener though it was back to Woodmizer double hard in the 7 degree blade.  The tow are comparable.

I really liked the munkfasager blade (monkey blade) as they were inexpensive when they first came out but eventually they priced themselves out of it for me. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 07:27:36 AM »
Once I got my own sharpening equipment, I tried about half a dozen types of blades.  The ones that have given me the best performance were the Kasco Woodmaxx blades.  In addition to that, they were some of the least expensive, running a bit over $13 for a 150" blade.
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 05:40:28 PM »
 Tom   
  Have you tried Simonds Red Streak yet, I just got through trying some Kasco a Dakin Flathers blades and I'm going back to Simonds Red Streak 3/4 pitch .042  1- 1/4 and  don't think I'll try another brand again as they saw the straightest and last a long time.  The Kasco  didn't saw straight at all until I sharpened them about 3 times ( A mill 20 miles south of me said exactly the same thing ) and the Dakin Flathers sawed OK but not as good as the Simonds.  Try SE metals LLc,  good prices on several brands.   Steve

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 09:00:01 PM »
Steve,
Yes, I tried Simonds Red Streak in 2013, along with Monks, DF, WM, Lenox, TK, Suffolk and Kasco.  I get an average of 245 bf per sharpening with SRS, similar to the Lenox.  Overall, for me the DF, TK ultramax and Kasco give the best life.  I mill mostly urban hardwoods, pine species only accounted for 2.5% of last year's production.
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 05:46:59 AM »
Tom, I forgot do you have the same sharpener as Steve and I have? I'm still not happy with the way I sharpen my blades, just don't last as long after resharp as I think they should. Ricky

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 07:56:06 AM »
 Ricky
  Post some pics of your sharpened blades from a few different angles.   Steve

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 06:32:34 PM »
pictures not good enough to see good.

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 09:52:57 PM »
Ricky,

I have the Timberking Talon Sharpener.  A couple of years ago they started manufacturing their own automatic sharpener and dual tooth setter.  I had both.  I could never get the setter to work for me (breaking teeth) and traded it for a Suffolk dual tooth setter.  They used to sell the Suffolk setter and an automatic sharpener (Dino or Wright I believe) before designing their own.

Their automatic setter is a drag-type dry grinder.  I have found that it easily adjusts to a wide range of tooth profiles and angles.  I've not seen any significant benefit of one profile over another so mine are migrating to a common profile.  I set first and then sharpen (don't have to worry about the burr that way) and I think it gets them sharper than new blades.