alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Gullet dept  (Read 33107 times)

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
Re: Gullet dept
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 07:14:47 AM »
Hey Ricky!

Staying warm down there are ya?

-Doug
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 07:22:41 AM »
snowed in, melting very slow. Not saw any wood in over a week. Not use to this weather. 4x4, you better think real hard about changing machines! I'd like to have yours with the diesel. I went the other way with trading, started with an orange machine and very happy with the 2000.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 10:59:38 AM »
Doug
I just read your response about you and electrical issues over on the dark side.  Think real hard about jumping ship on that mill of yours for a WM. 
The old saying
"out of the frying pan into the fire comes to mind."

I got a PM yesterday that I am going to check to see if it was sent to you as well. 
Interesting reading. 

As an aside
Remember Pravda means "the truth"  The old USSR controlled the truth that was disseminated to the proletariat through the newspaper Pravda.  You control folks thinking and actions by the information that is allowed to be available to them.  Now I know that the comparison is a bit of a stretch but if you never read of problems/issues it does not mean they do not exist.
Steve
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »
wow! looks like I found a forum that will work for me also. Glad Steve directed me here. Ricky

Ricky
Welcome aboard. Glad you made it over to the light side.
Steve
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 09:40:15 PM »
After half a dozen years as a ff member and to get booted without an admin discussion left me feeling the french have a much better understanding of freedom of speech. 

I hated to see Sawbucks loose the platform that it was on.

I upgraded computers and look forward to talking sawmills and all that goes with it with the folks here.

Offline jake

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2016, 08:10:45 PM »

Rice Blacksmith Shop   320-393-2169 It's nice not to have posting rules..   They only run that sale once a year when go to a lumber show up north, I ordered 40 blades that came out to $13.80 each this year, hopefully enough for the whole year.   They also hammer circle blades and most anything to do with sawing.  The good part for me is I drive right by them quite often.   Cooks has a blade sale going on also at about just over $15 for a 150"  1-1/4 blade, just got a sale flyer in the mail yesterday.  Steve

Sorry if this is off topic from OP, but does relate to comments made about simonds blades.  I ordered 10 simonds blades from this shop.  I'm not trying to bash them, just looking for info to clarify correct specs on simonds blades.  I ordered 3/4 TS and 7/8 TS (pitch).  Problem is the 7/8 blades have different tooth height and was wondering why? What do others have?

Some of the 7/8 blades have a tall tooth that looks like this:

And some of the 7/8 blades have a short tooth that looks like this:

Any guess on why these would be so different?  Seems like the taller tooth blades have less hook, maybe they just sent me the wrong blades.  Does anyone have a simonds they can check to let me know which is correct so I know what to expect on future orders?

And here is a picture of the 3/4 TS blades:

As you can see the 3/4 pitch blades have tooth height similar to shorter 7/8 blades. thanks, jake.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:10:28 PM by jake »

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 04:20:01 AM »

The top blade looks more like a Lennox blade which are wider than a Simonds blade, if it says Simonds on it maybe Simonds is switching to a little wider blade.  Also Rice has only been selling Simonds with a 10* hook, they could have changed as I haven't been there for a while.  Steve

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2016, 07:59:43 AM »
My speculation:
Is the first pic showing a single taller tooth a tooth with no set and every third one is like that?   

The other pics, are the measurement your showing consistent for each blade on all the teeth?  A .010 difference in tooth height between two different blades can be explained by the sharpening process. 

Grinding stones can cause this kind of differance as they were down as being used, thus differences in tooth heights.

I use the CBN wheel and avoid that problem. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline jake

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2016, 02:49:35 PM »
Kirk, these bands have one use, not yet sharpened.  Teeth are fairly consistent measure.  First pic to second pic are the two 7/8 pitch bands, and they have noticeable by eye difference in profile (at least when you can compare next to each other as I'm doing here in person).  And you can see a considerable difference in width (or distance from back of band to tip of tooth).  Band in second pic (simonds?) Has smaller gullet too.  I wish I could justify buying a cbn, but I don't saw enough, so I use what came with my mill, which is an old WM drag sharpener. Thanks, jake.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2016, 09:25:19 AM »
I would bet the tolerances for even new blades is .010 thousands, thus the first two would be within their tolerance and you would never notice that when cutting. 

However the profile between the first two pics does look different?  When you lay one blade  over the other is there a difference?  It looks like there is but I would lay one on top of the other and snap a picture of that with the back of the blade flush with a strait line hard surface. 

I purchased the conversion kit from the old drag wheel design to the CBN.  A LOT cheaper than buying the CBN set up. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline jake

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2016, 12:49:25 PM »
The first two have a difference of 77 thou, and yes if you overlay them they are significantly different.  I know the pics don't show it well.  I will try to get you a better picture tonight.  I would be interested in a conversion kit, does WM still sell them?  I will have to give them a call.  Thanks for the info, jake.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 06:43:01 AM »
Mountainlake, your theory about gullet depth has merit, but like so many other thing in our obsession there are so many other variables its hard to pin down. Myself I prefer a deeper gullet but I've had no problems with the shallow ones ether. Every brand of band, I've tried, has given me good service most fond of Timberwolf. Call it loyalty but when I was building my band mill the owner Art spent time on the phone and gave me help and his time freely. Frank C.