alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: forum  (Read 22955 times)

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
forum
« on: October 18, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »

Hey guys, if this forum is going to get going some how about some replies.
 I  really get fed up with the one brand FF.   Steve

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: forum
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 06:16:55 PM »
All it tales is participation. One quality this forum has is lack of crying about needing cash to operate.....it is totally and 100% free...from solicitations, donations, fundraising, and pity parties for the owners.

I would love to see more activity, but as a general contractor, I stay hooked up short, and I don't have time for sawing.....but I check in every day or so to keep an eye on the place. But yes, we can use more postings and replies to stoke up the interest.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:01:11 AM »
I understand Steve.  I have been busier with more irons in the fire than I would have imagined possible so I am just as guilty not getting things posted.  I have tons of pics to post and simply not enough time.

I too try to check in every day but this month has been tough since I went to colorado for my Elk hunt.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 05:48:38 PM »
I follow several different forums, contributing where I think my comments might be pertinent.  By nature I'm a bit of an introvert so I usually don't start topics or promote my operations (I so on my Facebook business page).  I hate to be the last comment on a topic before it dies, it makes me wonder if it was something I said.

On most forums I follow select boards (not all of them) and, I'll admit, when checking I look for "New" comments and often no further.  I'll try to step up my participation. 

Tom
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
Been there done that Tom!  Thanks!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »
Tom, I won't let you be the last post too!

Scott (FF = Freakin' Fools??) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 10:16:33 PM »
Tag, you're it...

Scott,

I was in your neck of the woods last month.  We made a quick trip down to visit my cousin in Bryant and on the way we stopped to see Dave (Post Oakie) near Neosho, Mo.  It's nice to meet people that you follow, and learn from, on the forums. 

Last year we were in Minnesota and got a chance to meet Steve (Mountainlake) and see his mill in action (we both run Timberking B-20s).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KvNu--CC8E
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »
Crickets???

Nope, too cold for crickets here...

Hope everyone is doing well.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 08:52:14 AM »
I've been off-forum for quite a while, too.  This is a good place for exchanging info & I'll try to be more regular about checking in.  Hi, Tom-- hope all is well up your way!
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 09:50:37 PM »
Just been quite cold (for here), not much precipitation.  Postponed my last mobile appointment, wind chills of 5 degrees are just to cold for this old guy.  For 31 years I had a job  :police: where I might have to work outside, no matter how cold, no matter how hot.  I'm retired - I don't do that anymore. 

Maybe I'll get some time to work on building my kiln chamber - brought all the materials home last week.  ;)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 01:06:51 AM »
  I hate to be the last comment on a topic before it dies, it makes me wonder if it was something I said.

Tom

I am glad that I am not the only one who feels that way.  It seems to happen more frequently than not to me.  Makes me wonder sometimes.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 07:54:36 AM »

I got away from sawing for a while. Trees are getting ready to start thinning, so, I have started building another band mill. My Peterson has too much kerf waste for softer wood, so, band mill using motorcycle wheels is where I'm headed.

Parts are nearly non existent down here, so, I rely on my son (very busy rascal) to send me stuff I accumulate on flee bay. This will be nearly completely electric driven except for the gasifier that will power the 20HP Honda.

Gasoline here is dirty and expensive, and, a new carb, can't find a used one, is over $200.00 with shipping, so, gasifier parts are being gathered.

Also, looking to build a pellet mill. Limbs here are somewhat self pruning, + all the slab waste to make into pellets, for a self feeding system. Besides running the mill, I can also charge batteries if needed.

Been converting the house to DC battery power, built a bicycle/motorcycle using Nissan Leaf battery modules and a hub motor. Old age eyesight caused a short in the controller wiring, so, bike is shutdown. Going to San Jose Monday-Tuesday to have a buddy check out the motor and provide another controller.

Then, among other projects, going to built a 2 front wheel, leaning, motorcycle/bicycle, with some sort of rain protection for the 2 riders.  Trying to find a hydraulic pump/motor to use for the pedaling, instead of chain/sprockets. Pedals make a motorcycle/bicycle exempt for inspection/licensing. Chain might get catch clothing, and, is oily-dirty, so, low power hydraulics will be a neater package.

Don't leave the farm much, so, local trips are sufficient, and, wind and solar charging are the ticket.

Now, y'all know where I been for a spell.

Harold in CR

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »
Good to hear from you!  Happy Turkey day! 

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 07:16:14 AM »

Same back atcha. How's Dad doing ? Hear much from the Gold Baron ?

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 09:37:24 AM »
Dad's off the reservation with what most have considered to be a gold digger.  After mom passed everything turned upside down!

Buzz left me a message a few weeks ago.  Its tough to reach him.  I know he came back to sell his house in Illinois but don't know if he ever got that done or not.  He was planning on going right back to AK once it sold. 

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »

I know he was going very remote. Would sure like to hear from him.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »
Hey guys, if this forum is going to get going some how about some replies.
 I  really get fed up with the one brand FF.   Steve

Not that today is the best day to go on a rant but I have been thinking and after reading some very old posts on this forum as to how it got started I started to get my dander up and thought well I can vent now, or later and bottling up is not healthy.  

Years ago I was warned via a PM about the brusque and tyrannical ways of the forum owner of another site but that it was worth while treading lightly because there was good information available.  True statement.  Over several years (6+) I saw the same pattern over and over but did not really have any first hand knowledge other than my gut instinct that it was a cliquish group that reminded me of a bully leading a group. You can't confront a bully on the internet you just walk away. Several months ago an individual posted about a major problem he was having with his TK mill.  He was immediately attacked by the forum owner and threatened that he would be banned if he did not change his tone.   I tried to contact him about his problem. (Wanting to help if possible)  He told me that he pulled his post as he did not need to be treated that way.  

The owner subsequently posted this statement as a replacement for the thread.

"This topic has been removed. Since the original post was removed by the person who started the topic, it no longer makes any sense to leave it out. For those that were following it, I can assure you it was removed for the benefit of all involved. It looks like the reason the post was made to begin with is being well managed."

I tracked down this guys phone number (that was interesting in and of itself) and asked him how it was going.  He told me several things but the bottom line was that the problem was not even close to being resolved and was still ongoing with no resolution. Thus the posted statement was patently false and a lie.  It was swept under the rug so that the TK sponsor did not look bad on line.  Do not know if the guy (OP) was making mountains out of mole hills or not (did not sound like it to me but over the internet it is hard to tell at times)
What was clear was the bullying that occurred and then the outright dishonesty in the post that said the problems were resolved.  Unless one tracked it down, as I did, there was no way to know that.  Instead I saw for the first time unequivocal proof of an outright falsehood posted as a lie.  I wonder if the companies know what/who they are dealing with and say the advertising is worth it or if they have no idea and are oblivious.

I am certain that there will be blowback on this but it has been bugging me for months.  

Rant off
sorry
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 12:09:12 PM by furu »

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2014, 02:58:50 PM »
furu,

There are numerous sympathetic eyes perusing these posts... unfortunately, not all of them.  ;)

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 07:07:26 AM »
I would imagine this forum will remain as long as there is any interest. We don't have tyrannical owners or pity parties for funds to support the lame, lazy, and deadbeats that inhabit the mainstream forum. That said, I doubt anyone here will pull any punches on stating an issue with any product, and there is no fear of us censoring anything.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 10:46:30 AM »
We appreciate the information shared and its yet another case and point as to why we started this forum in the first place.  The lies and manipulation were just out of control with that owner. 

It wont happen here! 

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 09:27:59 AM »
I have not communicated with the individual who was having the mill issues for a couple of months but at the time he was getting nowhere with the company and was frustrated to the extreme.  I have recently reached out (two weeks ago) to see if his issues have been resolved.  I hope that he responds and that things are better or have been resolved with the mill.  I will issue an invite to this forum and see if more members can energize and give folks a choice as to where they spend their on-line time.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 12:07:51 PM »
 As much as you want to reach out, sometimes it seems to bite you in the butt. Online communication can be very touchy. One sees the glass half empty, the next sees it half full, so, misunderstandings result. Been there, done that.

My son and I built an oversized Woodmizer, that would saw through and through, 36" diameter logs.

Some asked lots of questions, and, some ridiculed for "copying" Wood mizer. Said we would be sued, etc. Funny thing is, Dave Mann, from Woodmizer Company, actually thought we did a fine job, and asked several questions. Now, they make a wider version of their mill.  ;D

We never got past the "Woodmizer is the best mill" thinking.  ::)

The more experienced we got with the mill, the less our info was  received.

We tried Woodmizer blades, Red Streak blades and settled on Munksforsager " we coined the phrase "Monkey Blades" because guys couldn't seem to respond the the real company brand.

Some guys asked where we bought them, so, I put the info out there. Soon after, A "Sponsor" started selling them, ans, we were advised to ONLY recommend sponsors, even if the person lived within a few miles of where we bought ours.

That was a start of things changing to "protect" the sponsors. This was back in 2002-2003, just so y'all know.

After a couple more years, we got kind of pushed into a deal and soon after, we were hit with major personal issues, so, the deal was never honored on our part. Word got out and though the info was not accurate, I started noticing my posts were stopping threads, and, if I started a post, it had minimal views and NO responses, so, I went to reading, and finally, never logged back in.

Thought I had a few real friends, but, seems not. A LOT of this started happening once I joined this forum, under my REAL name, NOT hiding behind a keyboard like a lot of people do.

SO, I had met Kirk and Buzz Sawyer, and a couple more, at Sawlex in Ohio, before moving down here, so, here is where I stay.

Change is not always a good thing. Brown noseing is not my thing.   ;D

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 12:28:40 PM »
It sounds as if you were put through the mill (pun intended) so to speak.  Sorry about the way you were treated and the problems that you have had.  We can make things here the way they should be.  We are the members and as such we control how much we post.  The folks that run this site really seem to have a grasp on reality and what a "member friendly" site is, and should be.  THANKS OWNERS

I am really interest in what you find as challenges down in CR.  I have been looking through your old posts.  Please keep them coming.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »
 Challenges ?? In a 3rd world country ?? And speak very poor Spanish ?? And live 40 Miles from a decent sized small city, that only has part of the things I need ??

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It gets frustrating at times, trying to do projects.  ::) Taxes are below cheap. It's nice and quiet up on the hill we live on. Just nearly finished my electric motorcycle-bicycle. Fuel prices are crazy here, besides the electricity rate of 24 cents Kwh. They admin charge us to death. rate is around 13 cents, but, I figure whatever the bill is, divide the Kwh and that's how much we pay.

I bought 4 acres, got married to a CR woman, and we planted 750 trees, 8+ years ago. Now, some are ready to cut and saw while freeing up space for others to fill out.

That's why I'm building a band mill. The Peterson swing blade mill takes a big bite per board, but, I can cut stuff the big mills shy away from, so, I used to do custom sawing, but, at 71 years old, I'm staying home from now on.

If you want to read stuff, I will try to get a link for the early parts of my life at the other forum. We were diving for sunken logs in coffee type river water, 0 visibility, with the Gators and hidden tree snags, abandoned trot lines, illegal fish and crab trap lines, etc., with a 4 knot current or more, depending on dam openings and rains.  That's why we built the first mill, besides getting screwed from the log buyer we were told would be fair with us.

PM sent to you.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 05:10:18 PM by HaroldCR »

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »
Sounds like fun. 
After 8+ years they are ready for thinning and sawing.  What dbh are they and what species.
How much solar, if any, do you have to try to avoid the power prices?