alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Nasty old American Sweetgum  (Read 10368 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Nasty old American Sweetgum
« on: October 25, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »
No sense in just milling a chunk of Eastern Red Cedar for a single bowl blank!  Heckfire NO!!!

Here is a couple of chunks of American Sweetgum, as you can see, this stuff is boring...after all, it has a few colorations, some spalting, and weird things going on inside.  So BORING!

The peices standing up on the left side are only 1/2in thickness, I'll be putting those on the RingMaster bowl lathe.  The rest are going to be made into pen blanks, they'll need a few months in the shed to dry the rest of the way.

Few close-up teasers!

BTW, an unphoto group of bowl blanks made their way into the shed too.

Scott (smells something special) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Nasty old American Sweetgum
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:01 AM »
I could see that in a rustic chest....so is sweetgum a good project material? I love the look.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »
It moves a LOT with minor moisture changes.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »
Yeah, for some reason the cell collapse is pretty overwhelming....

American Sweetgum trees were used mostly for railroad ties when oak was hard to come by....and later it became the 'substructure' for furniture that gets 'covered'(to be read as couches and other stuff where the wood isn't seen).

I'll be slicing those pieces into pen blanks, and selling them for about $0.40/each....simple enough to figure the boardfoot pricing  ;)

Two of the thinner cut pieces have made their way through the planer and are waiting for their turn on the ringmaster bowl lathe....I normally get $25 for a bowl, there is seven bowls in each flitch....I know, more math....jeez!

Profitable day to say the least and I had FUN!!!!

Scott (making cha-ching is fun too) B

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 10:40:01 PM »
I've sawn one sweet gum and most of the wood was nearly as white as Holly.  Made a couple of pens out of it for the owner of the tree and split the rest of the boards with him.  They're sitting in my shed all twisted and curved.

Read somewhere that sweet gum was once used as a substitute for mahogany.  That had to be from fairly large trees, based on my one experience, with a lot of the dark heart wood, which I had little of in the tree I cut.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 08:42:24 AM »
Looks like you've got a lot of holes to fill.  The right person will love it!  Here's a sample from a sweetgum log I salvaged from the 2011 Joplin, MO tornado.  Turned out nice!

Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 02:11:09 PM »
Tons of holes!

Those worms are in every piece I've cut up.  I'm guessing a regional type thing?
They are about 3/8ths of and inch long and very white colored.  As I don't study 'bugs' I sure wouldn't even try to guess what they are.....

That board looks pretty nice...almost looks like you ran it through the planner it's so smooth!  Salvaged timber is always cool for some reason........

Scott (cookie dough rules) B

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »
Sure has a nice looking figure in the grain.  If it is that unstable do the blanks that are turned have problems?
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.