alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: New Forestry Masticator/Mulcher  (Read 15189 times)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
New Forestry Masticator/Mulcher
« on: October 10, 2015, 05:48:20 PM »
As I posted in another thread last year I rented and tried/demoed for 7 days a Cat299D XHP and Cat M315 mulcher head.

After much analysis and thought, the decision to purchase one was made.  Took 9 months to finally come up with the final decision on brands.  There were several brands of prime movers and then heads to evaluate.  The demo'ed Cat HM315 head made by FAE and re-branded for CAT was never in the mix but the FAE head itself was looked at carefully as well as a couple of Bradco heads.  Finally went with Fecon.
For the prime mover we looked at Cat briefly but after my experience and the dealer, we dropped them.  Looked at Kubota but finally went with the ASV/Terex PT110 Forestry model.

It has been amazing.  There is a bit of a different learning curve when compared to the CAT but it is by far the best choice (at least so far it seems like the correct decisions were made).  The variable displacement hydraulic motor on the Fecon is amazing.  Recovery time on the rotor seems a bit high and I need to talk with Fecon about it but the torque that the variable misplacement motor has, more than makes up for anything else.  I need to figure out how to make a video of processing a 7-8 inch DBH hardwood so that you can see what I am trying to describe.  If I raise the head up 10 feet or so then cut the bole then lower the head straight down the bole, it mulches that in one stroke lasting less than 6-7 seconds.  Then the remaining part that dropped straight down can have the same action repeated again.  I can process a complete 40-50 ft tree in less than 2-3 minutes including maneuvering the machine around.  
I am impressed .  
The Cat and the HM315 could not even hold a candle to this in capability.  
A couple of pictures are below and I will get a video if I can figure out how to take one while I am working.

Area that was worked
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:11:14 PM by furu »
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.