alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: 20+ acre stand rehabilitation plan  (Read 89367 times)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: 20+ acre stand rehabilitation plan
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 01:05:57 AM »
A couple of photos of the seedling stock I used this year in planting.  Note the fantastic root to stem ratio and the robustness of the roots in the 1+1 and the P+1 stock.

Douglas-fir 1+1 stock

Western red cedar P+1 stock

Ponderosa Pine Super cell plugs.  I really like this containerized plug.  Very healthy roots and I have had good luck in the past.  Not at all like the horrible Ponderosa pine 2+0 stock I got last year from a specific nursery that I will never go back to again.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 06:58:40 AM »

Major difference in the before and after photos. Doesn't look like much regrowth from previous chopped up plant matter after that mulching job.

In those long tube type seedlings, are the roots turned back up from being crowded in the tubes ? Here, we get plastic bag seedlings and the roots are really tangled and solid clumps. I tried to untangle some and spread them in the holes. Never documented which ones I did, but, we have some scattered trees that are double the size of others. Need to do a thread to show our small plantation.

Nice to see the updated results. Thanks for posting those.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 01:08:32 PM »
Major difference in the before and after photos. Doesn't look like much regrowth from previous chopped up plant matter after that mulching job.
 In those long tube type seedlings, are the roots turned back up from being crowded in the tubes ? Here, we get plastic bag seedlings and the roots are really tangled and solid clumps. I tried to untangle some and spread them in the holes. Never documented which ones I did, but, we have some scattered trees that are double the size of others. Need to do a thread to show our small plantation.

Nice to see the updated results. Thanks for posting those.

Not much of a chance for regrowth yet but as Spring progresses I am very sure it will.  The first 2 sometimes 3 years in this area you really have to work on vegetation control to give the seedlings a chance or they succumb to the undesirable vegetation.

In the container stock I used here, the super cell length allows the roots to grow down to the bottom and not turn up to any significant degree.  The roots are rather dense but they do very well. If they were not planted within the correct time-frame and/or left in their container more than one year I am certain that they would decline  badly.  I will try to find some photos or will take some of the test area that I planted in early 2013 to do a comparison of the same species of PP planted in both the plug containerized stock and the P+1 stock which has an extra year of growth and the difference between them at this point in time, three years later.

I would very much like to see photos of your plantation.  If you have photos documenting it yearly or every other year that would be fantastic as well.  Whatever you have please post.

Edit add:
When you say plastic bag seedlings, I envision a seed that is germinated in a plastic bag with a little bit of soil and nutrients and then maintained in a concave cavity so that the bag forms a hemispherical shape.  If that is the case I see roots that are ball shaped and pointed up as much if not more than down.  That would really impact growth in my experience and I am sure that your spreading was very helpful.  How much soil was on the roots before your detangling and after.  When they were removed from the bag were they pretty much bareroot stock?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 01:22:19 PM by furu »
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 05:08:54 PM »
 Hopefully, the end of this month I am going up to Florida. I need to find a way to access the hard drive from the desktop computer. I have tons of various photos that I need to get access to. Then, I can document somewhat over the 10 years of growth.

Interesting enough, I recently had to cut one of the 8.5 year old trees that was over 60' tall and 16" girth DBH.  ;D Yep, trees grow fast and year round down here.

The seeds were germinated in a nursery setting, then, transferred to the bags which are about 4" dia and 7" deep. Soil is poured around and under the rooted plants and firmed in. Bags have a few drain holes. Bagged plants are assembled in groups outside under shade cloth and mist watered daily or semi daily as rains permit.

Plants were 8"-15" tall when I purchased them. There were some plants over 30" tall, all in the same size bags, from over produced stock. I didn't get any of those.

More info IF I can access the hard drive and recover stuff.  ::)

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 08:07:36 PM »
I got the warning on an old topic, but with timber stands, nothing is old but good or bad growth,, I've had the opportunity to do TSI work for the MDC and USDA,  under contracts with a fellow that's been all across this country, east, west, north and south,.What I've noticed here is that after a TSI prescribed cutting, and stumps sprayed, its around the 2nd year mark that a controlled burn is employed.  Not always but very often and common.  Ice damage did it's damage all across this area has had its negative impacts, but with the controlled burning, it has helped stands reestablish proper basil area's for the desired timber that is in the plan.  Reforestation is critical, and going conifers to hardwood is not a bad Idea, in my view, and yes those root balls do look mighty fine,  that looks like a lot of work installing those grow tubes for every sapling,, mercy, it should yield a very health stand, so long as the deer stay off them,