alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Whew, this place is quiet  (Read 14829 times)

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Whew, this place is quiet
« on: January 04, 2015, 09:25:14 AM »

To stir up some debate  ::)  I have just about finished up converting a 20A Toyota car alternator, to a permanent magnet rotor, so the alternator can be used as a wind turbine or hydro turbine to help charge batteries for my house.

Car alternators are not very efficient, but, for hands on experimenting, it is cheap enough to try. I have built 6 "wings" of a specific type wind turbine, that will produce more torque at lower wind speeds than a propeller type blade system. The turbine will be just over 6' tall X 36" dia. I will have to drive a large (14" +) pulley or sprocket (double set of bicycle sprockets as jack shaft gearing, maybe) to get the RPM's up to over 1000. This will be mounted in a frame 16' off the ground. It will be a vertical turbine.

I took a 3" dia aluminum round bar slice, 2" long, and had my son turn it absolutely round and center drilled. Then, he cut a ¾" wide groove, ¼" deep on the edge of the spool shaped piece, so I could insert a steel flat ring and 12 magnets laid out as 6 N and 6 S poles, so it looked very similar to the claw pole rotor that I removed.

Now, instead of supplying 5-12V to the coil inside the claws, the magnets will start to put out voltage and current, at a very slow speed (200) RPM's, but, that will be too low to get the proper battery voltage. The turbine can sit not rotating, and, when it starts to turn, be ready to output electricity into the batteries.

I will TRY to get some photos posted,later on.

I am trying to buy a battery from a wrecked 2013-2014 Chevy Volt car. That would make a nice battery set for my house and also for my electric 3 wheel motorcycle I want to build. It is VERY difficult to make contact with wreckers in the states, from down here.

IF anyone would want to assist me in buying and palleting a battery and shipping to Florida, I would like to talk with you. They are sort of a common thing in wrecking yards, but, they are afraid of shipping. There is nothing serious about shipping, but, the "Lithium battery" scare, has people afraid. Like gasoline isn't something to be afraid of, if not handled correctly.

As these batteries come available, some are advertized online. By the time I see them and have my son call, they are gone OR won't ship.   Anyone interesting in talking ??

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Whew, this place is quiet
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 12:45:37 PM »
I will keep an eye out, but truthfully, I don't think many Volts were sold in Oklahoma.

On my grandparents farm, there was a 32 volt generator that was on a windmill tower. Since it was a generator, and not an alternator, it produced current at any wind speed and did not need any energizing current....the principal use was recharging the wet cell batteries for the radio, which was the entertainment before TV.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 12:59:47 PM »
Looking forward to pictures.  I was trying to visualize your design but am not quite putting it together in my mind.  I think it sounds similar to a cross between the old Pacwind Aeolian and Seahawk vertical turbine design.  Can't wait to hear how it works when you get it going.

As to the LI battery issue. I can only imagine the shipping issues that you must be encountering. You stated that you wanted to get it shipped to Florida.   How are you going to get it home from there?

The first thing that creates a problem is shipping; companies are scared of LI batteries due to the number of fires that have occurred.  They are classified as hazardous materials and have to be properly packed, marked and tons of paperwork.  Not saying that it can't be done because it is done all the time.  Might require someone who is classified as a "known shipper" to do it. Cost may be prohibitive in the long run.

The other problem is the liability of shipping an item that came from a wrecked vehicle that raises all the LI warning flags that are already flying.  Who would be able to certify that the battery was not damaged in the wreck of the "Volt".  The shipping company might balk knowing the source.  
I do not have any real knowledge of just how big the Volt's battery is but can guess and it must be pretty capable to do the job it does.  
I know of several aircraft that have been lost due to Lithium-Ion battery fires with total loss of life and airframe.
There are also many instances of over the road trucking vehicles burning to the pavement from LI battery fires (of course those were with more than one battery in the packing).  The fires are a real challenge to suppress and burn very hot.    I know the fire departments have real concerns with large voltages and fires if they have to rescue folks from those type cars and have set up protocols for it.  LI fire have to be suppressed differently (water is not your friend).

Have your son talk to some of the shipping companies and find out just what their protocols are for shipping LI batteries.  From there you have a starting point.  I would suspect that you will be stuck with, at a minimum, going through a third party that specializes in hazardous material shipping and packing.  I have no idea the cost involved in such an enterprise.
Any road trips planned for a very long drive to the north and a return drive? ;D  

Wish I could be of more help.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 02:37:17 PM »

One Volt Battery in Tulsa right now, if it hasn't sold. Shipping is not such a big deal. I know of several and, had plans to split one with another guy, in Michigan. I had a temporary funding issue, so, allowed him to keep my half.

All that is really necessary is, MSDS sheet, which I can get a copy for anyone that can assist me, and a slightly over sized pallet and securely strapped down. Battery measures 65" X 37" X 15" high. It is completely covered with a fiberglass shield.

getting it from Tulsa, for example, would be around $400.00. Then, My son will ship modules to me in a crate, by boat. We do this shipping once or twice a year.

I will pay $200.00 for help. All it requires is a few phone calls, locally, to find one, and ask for specifics, Mileage, how long removed from vehicle, possible exterior damage. Then, a pickup or trailer to get it and strap it and call a shipper. Weight is 435-516 pounds, depending on totally complete or stripped down and boxed up.

If you are serious, lets talk. I use Skype a lot. Free live talking.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 02:51:09 PM »
I am no where near Tulsa so not much help there.  I am further away from Tulsa than your son is in Florida. 
You say that your son can ship modules.  As I said I know nothing of Volt batteries.  They come apart into individual modules?  They are not multiple batteries in a fixed contained unit?  If that is the case could a person replace a single battery unit out of the whole if it became defective without replacing the entire "Volt battery unit"?
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 03:23:56 PM »
Harld, Check your messages!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 04:37:22 PM »
 Doing it as we speak, Kirk.

Furu, the batteries in electric cars are made up of modules. You can't really replace just 1 cell, well you can, but,.!!

They are made by connecting modules in bunches. Nissan Leaf has the nicest battery, but, the Volt is a little smaller cell design, so I can use them in my leaning 3 wheel reverse motorcycle. I already have 20 Nissan leaf CELLS in my bicycle-moto right now. I run it at 74V and 33 Ahr. Because we are in the rainy season, I have gone less than 3 miles. Soon the rains will taper off greatly, and I can get some serious road time in, for fine tuning.

IF YOU EVER attempt something like this, CONTACT ME first. IF you cut into a battery without knowing where and how, you are playing with nearly 400 Volts DC. Crispy fried critter will be yer new handle.  :o :o

People don't realize just how popular Ecars are getting to be. Local salvage yards are scared of these things. They can be bough for $1000.00 or more, depending on mileage, and how slick a feller is with the yards. They should NEVER be allowed to sit for 6 months without being sold. This is a major bargaining chip.  ;)  ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:55:25 PM »
Are you talking a Savonius wind turbine for the wind generator?
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 06:34:13 AM »
LINK rather than steal the photo. I will have 2 sets of wings for 6'+ of height of the turbine itself, raised up to 15' off the ground.

It's not nearly high enough for non turbulent air, but, our trees are over 60' tall, so, I'm going with the "wind through the trunks" idea, for experimenting, until we get some of the trees down to saw. On good days, the wind will blow your hat off while standing in front of the tree trunks.