alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: New member here, hello  (Read 18131 times)

Offline fishfighter

• New Contributor
New member here, hello
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:27:23 AM »
Hi all. I been interested in buying myself a band sawmill. I really don't know much about this, so I been surfing the web, getting as much info as I can.

My plans for the mill is for me to cut lumber on my own place. I will be using said lumber for different projects like building a new hunting camp, need a barn and of course, we all need a outhouse. ;D

Anyway, I live in central Louisiana with mostly hard wood on my place.

I been looking at the Woodlawn mill, the 26. My plans are to build my own trailer so I can move it as needed. I do have other equipment including a Case Backhoe and a couple tractors. Besides chainsaws, which I have a few, what else y'all think I would need?

More about me. I'm 56 and I'm retired. I was always a very active person till a few years ago that I had came down with Heart Failure. Well, that still doesn't stop me, just slows me down some. Married 35 years, two kids,(35 and 33) and one man child grandson that is 4. :laugh: I am a Louisiana coonass, boat builder and a DIY person.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: New member here, hello
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:09:04 AM »

Welcome aboard.  ;D

Never heard of a Woodlawn Sawmill, so, did a Google search, and all I found was houses ?/  Maybe ya messed up a little with the brand ??

Add an update so's we can see what you are looking at.

Offline fishfighter

• New Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 12:13:35 PM »
Sorry about that. The mill is a woodland 126.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 05:29:05 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!  Where in Louisiana are you at?  My son is down in Metairie   (Not sure on the spelling)

I would HIGHLY recommend hydraulic log handling on what ever mill you decide on!  Although your heart condition may not be slowing you down there is no sense it creating more work than is necessary!

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline fishfighter

• New Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 06:47:22 PM »
I can build a hydraulic system in time. I have enough things laying around. I'm located about 35 miles north of Baton Rouge. Got out the hospital this afternoon down in Metairie. Trying out new drugs for my heart. So far, it's got my head spinning.

Tomorrow, I'm going to order my mill. I will be ordering some angle iron to build a trailer too. I'm sure I can build that for way less then the price they sell there trailer kit. :)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 07:28:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you will have a good time with the mill.  I agree on the hydraulics.  As we age the body just does not take the abuse as well.  If you can build the hydraulics that is a good thing.  I know I have been wrestling with a 2700 # DF log this afternoon and I have hydraulics.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 09:22:28 PM »
Sounds like you know what you want for a mill.  You're going to want some log handling things, like, a peavey, a cant hook, a hookaroon is nice to pull slabs off the mill (especially when they're frozen together but I don't think you'll have that problem in LA), you might like a set of lifting/skidding tongs for your case backhoe to jockey logs around, a chainsaw debarker is nice, a bark spud is also a good investment, get yourself enough bands to start with so that you won't be out of them when you need to send out to get sharpened, a leaf blower to blow off the mill when done using it is handy, a good 4ft level, a good carpenter's square, etc.  There can be alot of support equipment involved, but most of the times you can make something work, or justify it being a one time expense that will pay you back in the long run.  Feel better!
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline fishfighter

• New Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:41:44 AM »
Thanks 4x4. Most of the things you are suggesting I already have.

One thing that I am looking at or for is a blade sharpener. Any ideas for that ? I looked around were I live and I can't find a local person to sharped blades. So, by the time I pay for shipping them off, I would do better buying new blades.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 07:40:25 AM »

I used a borrowed Woodmizer blade sharpener. There is nothing special about blade sharpeners. I bought an older model Woodmizer type, that did not have the feed advance mechanism. Very soon, I will be making that part, so I will have an automatic sharpener. You can find Videos on Youtube.

The nice thing about the Woodmizer is, it's sturdy and stable. Ones like the Dyno charger and others, need to be clamped down or they shake as the thing runs. I would do some searches on Ebay or other forum classifieds. Many people are going to the newer type wheel sharpeners, and are selling the older models. Can't think of the types that use the new wheel shape? getting old  ::)

There is a way to build one from scratch, if you are the tinkering type. Use a radiator fan motor and a windshield wiper motor. Then, make the wheel motor mount, so it can be angled to give from 4° to 12° for whatever you want to set the tooth angle to. Then, make a cam, so that wheel motor goes up and down. Use Heim Joints for all swiveling connections. Then, set the windshield wiper motor, so it shoves a blade against the tooth gullet, and make that blade adjustable, so, as the wheel drops down, it wipes the leading edge of the tooth, then, as it reaches near bottom stroke, the wiper motor starts shoving the blade away from the wheel, as the wheel starts back up, barely wiping the tooth, and finally, clears the tooth. Then, here comes the next tooth, to repeat the process. Make everything speed adjustable. Include water cooling, so you don't burn tooth tips.

I did a post on how to set up the cam, on an earlier thread, started by Sawmill Squaw. She bought a Cooks Cat Claw, and I explained how to shape the cam and her husband was very impressed at her sharpening skills. She turned out sharper blades than manufacturers.

My Son and I did the sinker logs in Florida. We made an oversized Woodmizer and cut many table slabs that were 36" wide with natural edges. Made some nice money with them, so, keep wide table slabs in mind as you saw larger logs.

Offline fishfighter

• New Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 09:15:18 AM »
What y'all think on this sharpener?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAWMILL-BAND-BLADE-SHARPENER-AND-SETTER-COMBO-/281567141676?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418eb59f2c

That comes with the tooth setter. I think I could build that part. The sharpener itself cost $495 + shipping.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »
Never heard of that manufacturer.  Any chance that you can find one that you can look at locally to see if it works the way you want it to?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 11:57:51 AM »
 You NEED something that will grind out the fine cracks in the Gullet, as well as the sharpening of the teeth.

I would not buy that sharpener. Notice the hand operated blade advance mechanism. How steady do you think you could operate the wheel up and down, all the while advancing the blade ?  

If I sound a little harsh, it's because I don't want to watch you throw money away.

EDIT: A quick Google search turned up this one. "Baker Quick Sharp- $400".

Do a Google to find it. At least it is an automatic advance feed and grinding machine. It can't be too hard to figure out how to use it. They also have a setter, but, they are pretty simple to build.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:08:01 PM by HaroldCR »

Offline fishfighter

• New Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 12:54:37 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Harold. I trying to get in touch with the seller off the other board.

I do have my mill ordered. Maybe some time next week I should get it. Was told I bought the last one in stock. :laugh:

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »
 Here is a sharpening video showing what you would need. Notice how it skims the wheel along the gullet, to take out any small cracks that WILL develop, if you keep your blades real tight. We didn't need the tension woodmizer recommenrs, so, we also used Swedish Steel blades, and, never broke one or had bad lumber, even though the logs were full of very fine white sand, from the river beds.

LINK

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 04:08:15 PM »
Im with Harold on this one.  I would avoid the one ebay model you found. 

I have the Woodmizer sharpener but that does limit me to woodmizer blades if I want it to run automatically.   I could use other blades but would have to do the blade movement and grinding stroke all manually and that would take forever. 

If you click on the COOKS SAW link above they have several sharpeners that a lot of people use with good success. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 05:12:33 PM »

Kirk, if all the different blades have the same 7/8" tooth spacing, you can sharpen them all, automatically. Might have to adjust the cam a little, or, just lightly grind in the gulley a little differently, until you reach the gullet itself.

The Woodmizer blades have the shallowest gullet of all we messed with, 12 years ago.  ::) ;D :laugh:

Them Cooks is what goes for $1800.00 Last I knew. ?? Gotta figure S&H with the price.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 01:31:27 AM »
Cooks has sales from time to time and sometimes shipping is free.  Of course nothing is free but you know what I mean.  Cooks makes a good, make that great, sharpener and setter but they are not cheap but what is?

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 09:08:11 PM »
I have a Cook's Cat Claw sharpner.  I like it alot.  I also have the dual tooth grinder.  I also like it.  I have seen the Wright sharpner in person and it too is a good sharpner

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 09:55:09 PM »
I have a Cook's Cat Claw sharpner.  I like it alot.  I also have the dual tooth grinder.  I also like it.  I have seen the Wright sharpner in person and it too is a good sharpner

You state dual tooth grinder, is that a typo for the setter?  Not familiar with the dual tooth grinder.  I have the Cat's claw sharpener, the dual tooth setter and the band roller.  Nice well built equipment.  Not cheap but worth it.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 08:24:47 PM »
haha!  long day....yea I meant just regular grinder, and dual tooth setter.  I am interested in the roller.  Does it really do anything noticeable?

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
It does seem to flatten the blade nicely after a lot of use.  I do not recommend rolling the blade every time but every other or if you check it and see a curve forming it is worthwhile.  Tim has a pretty nice video on it and why it is a good tool.