alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Help NYS not ban rough cut in construction  (Read 11972 times)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Help NYS not ban rough cut in construction
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:18:57 PM »
That is not good.  Doubt if they would listen to comments from out of state folks.  Do you know if they will accept them for out of staters
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 07:26:36 PM »
I know it couldn't hurt!
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:56:32 PM »
I have found when I follow the money to such legislation you find certain lobby groups pushing.  I expose them out here and I am not very popular with some of the groups.  Some here are actually the lumber and timber industry, trying quietly to get such things passed.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 06:07:23 PM »
Right.  They want the people to buy their lumber, so they try to stomp out the small guy.  It's bologna.

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:48:34 PM »
that code went to law in wisc. back in 2007 or 08. since that time myself and a inspector pushed real hard and loud,and got the ruling changed to allow r.sawn or "home "grown lumber to be used in non structual areas ie: no for floor joists ,trusses .
now you can take a 1 day grader course and get a stamp allowing you to "grade" native lumber. kinda  small victory but, still the whole thing smells of money being funneled into the wrong pockets  again :-[
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 07:30:08 PM »
It's a dam shame is what it is.  I hope all the bs will change.  If it ever comes time for me to build I'm doing it with my lumber regardless of the code, I'll print out some stamps to staple on if I have to  ;D

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 07:07:59 AM »
I have found NOTHING forbidding you to have your own stamp!  They are NOT issued by anyone.  Provided your meeting the specs you should be able to stamp it yourself.

My stamp will be the following when this crap hits here:
ACW
SPF-KD10

ACW
SPF-AD15

Allens Custom woodwork's
Spruce-Pine-Fir - Kiln dried to 10%   (AD for Air Dried)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 09:36:24 AM »

From past experience, I found out that the Southern Pine codes were enacted by a private company and shoved through the system, making THEM the authority.

Being in the South USA at the time, I tried to get a graders certificate. Was told the grading certificate went to the SAWMILL, not the person that was the "official" grader of SP. There was no way a portable sawmill would get certified.

Anyone with a brain that works, can look up the strengths of most construction lumber and compare what they have to what is acceptable for construction.

For example, the old Long leaf/ Fat lightered/ Heart Pine, that once dominated the lower east/south USA was proven stronger than steel. Now, if it's not certified by some shill organization, it can't be used as support construction lumber, even though it was removed from 100+ year old factory buildings and was to be recycled as construction grade lumber.

There is no way a 1.5" X 3.5" piece of SPF is as strong as a 2" X 4" piece of that same material.

I have checked supplier tags in a Home Depot in Florida recently, and it was from Ervine Sawmills in Canada. Meanwhile, California has a serious death rate of timber from the drought, going to waste because the tree huggers won't allow removal of this from the eco system. It's MUCH better to watch it burn, taking out housing and wildlife, instead.  ::)

Down here, do as you please with whatever lumber you can get your hands on.  ;D

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 08:37:35 PM »
An engineer trumps a grader  ;) so you can always use over size lumber to make up for grade BBuutt that don't help with a grade stamp.
I spent 15 years in a production stud mill with high speed planer, electronic scanners done most of the grading so the three graders on each of the three shifts could keep up with the flow. As supervisor of both the sawmill and planer I took the grading course but never graded lumber ::) The Oregon graders council in Portland makes a trip around to the different mills to do spot checks (5% off grade 5% off species) When I have a customer needing their lumber graded one of the members from the graders council will stop in and grade the lumber for $67.50 hr with a 2 hour min (one hr in the field one hr in the office) most times 2-3 hrs will do a house package.

California is not the only ones who drag out the process to harvest after a fire until the wood is no longer of value to harvest :-\