alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: New Mill will be here tomorrow morning  (Read 22270 times)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
New Mill will be here tomorrow morning
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:29:29 PM »
Well tomorrow morning my new mill will be here.  It is a Timberking. 
I have used a Woodmizer LT-28 and LT-40 previously.  I looked at LogMaster, Woodmizer, Timberking, Baker and Cooks.  None of them were/are the perfect mill but I finally went with the TK as it met the requirements that I had established the best. 
Tomorrow morning can not come too soon.
Pictures to follow and a lot of learning the new mill and how to best utilize it.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: New Mill will be here tomorrow morning
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 07:36:47 AM »

Congrats Furu. Where are you located ? What types of wood do you have there ?

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 01:24:50 AM »
The PNW.  Washington specifically (the real one).
Doug Fir, Western Red Cedar, Western Hemlock, Red Alder and Big Leaf Maple are the most prevalent saw trees out here. There are a few other species. Some would say the maple is not really a saw tree but there are those that say it is.  Of course red alder was a junk tree and now it is valuable saw tree for the cabinetry world. How things change.

The mill is really nice. The setworks was DOA unfortunately. So was the battery. Had to jump start it and it was then put on a charger.
A replacement setworks is coming next day air (UPS does not consider Saturday or Sunday a day so it will not be here til Monday. There were a couple of other issues as well but the TK customer service was great and is taking care of it.

Can't seem to get the photos below 40K so will have to try something else before I can post them.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:26:13 PM »

All the way up there, EH ??   ;D

Pics will be required, once you get it figured out.  ;D ;D

Good luck with the new mill.  ;D ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 12:29:19 AM »
Now be nice Harold, "Way up there" makes him almost a neighbor.

FWIW:
I've looked at TK real hard. Really liked the space above the blade.  You can cut a bigger log in half that most mills.  Which model did you get?

Nothing wrong with cutting big leaf.  Just look for ugly logs and slab them.  Ugly is good.  Big leaf maple can be one of the most figured maples in the world and niche markets love it.  Custom furniture makers and electric guitars makers if quarter sawn to name two.

Cedar is hard on saw blades.  Cedar pays well if you can get it for the right price.

Tight ringed clear hemlock is used for molding. Not your standard dimensions.  Cut to the market.

D. fir is mostly just boards unless you can get one with high ring count and lots of clear wood.  That can pay well.  Been used to make doors and windows for ever.

Welcome to our little dusty world (again?)
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »
Now be nice Harold, "Way up there" makes him almost a neighbor.

Which model did you get?

Not everyone can live in "gods country"  some have to live in the slums.  One should never hold that against those that can not live in the best places. ;D :)

Model TK2200
So far cuts real nice and lots of power to cut with.  Engine is running a bit rough on start up.  Will have to see if that continues.
Figured out a method to just tell the reducing program make it 40KB  Not exact but real close.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 01:35:18 AM »
Hopefully got the picture thing straightened out.

First
Shiny and new

Second
After a very little use

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 08:00:50 AM »

Getting cabin fever, Way down here.  ::) ;D GOT to get the roof replaced. Too much rain and now, higher winds than what I need.

That's some heavy duty looking mill.   8) 8)

Now, teach US how to size the photos. I can't seem to get that part right.  ::) ;D

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 10:07:48 AM »
Well I may have got the photo sizing down but I don't seem to be able to insert the photo after my caption then another caption and another photo.  May be a limitation of the site, but maybe, most likely, that I just can't figure it out yet.  Well have to try more and hope I do not screw up anything that I can not delete without creating a junk posting.

With the limitations of the written word, nuance is sometimes lost.

Your Quote: Now, teach US how to size the photos. I can't seem to get that part right. Unquote

Sarcasm or serious? :)
If serious I can now; not two days ago, help with a free program that can be downloaded that seems to do a great job.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 11:47:11 AM »

Sarcasm is always posted with the appropriate smilies.  ;D ;D  I never posted in your threads, sarcasm. Just a little humor. I never said anything abut god's country, OR, where you lived. I happen to like the PNW, just don't live there. Almost did, once.  ;D  It's just way up there from here. Nothing more.

I have put a few photos on here, and used Photoshop that's on my no-operational computer. I have a couple of free programs on this laptop, but, I couldn't post a couple photos just the other day. Photos are limited to 40K per each, I believe. When I get them to that size, they are match head sized.  ::)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 12:48:23 PM »
VERY nice!  Good looking set up!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »
If you are looking for a very versatile, easy to use, free, photo editing program - consider www.irfanview.com.   I have used it for years for basic quick editing, it offers many options for resizing and can handle pretty much any type of photo file.   ;) ;)
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 12:35:02 AM »
If you are looking for a very versatile, easy to use, free, photo editing program - consider www.irfanview.com.   I have used it for years for basic quick editing, it offers many options for resizing and can handle pretty much any type of photo file.   ;) ;)
Tom beat me to it.  Infranview is what I use as well.  It has multiple options, some of which I am still just learning.  I had been using the image dropdown; resize/resample and choosing the pixel reduction then "saving for web" and getting what ever size it generated.  I discovered  on the page that pops up after you "save for web" under the "file" dropdown that there is an button/choice on the right side just below the right middle edge that states "compress to size".  If you click on that and put in 40KB it saves a file at just under 40 KB but leaves the pixel size up at 1024x768 or 640x480 where otherwise you have to resize it to postage stamp size to get under 40KB.  Nice program and it is free.  What's not to like.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 09:27:58 AM »
Got a replacement setworks.  My first time to have a setworks, as the mills I previously used did not.  What a difference and what a nice feature to have on a mill.  Increases production/throughput by a significant factor for me.  Really like the mill so far.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 04:18:01 PM »
Congratulations on the mill!  Are you going portable with it?  It is amazing how trash trees can become treasure.  Here in Missouri, we run into the same thing with hickory.  That's the great part about a small sawmill-- very quick to adapt to changes and small orders.  Good luck with your new mill!  Great to see photos.
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 02:13:14 AM »
Welcome to the Sawmill and Timber forum. As I said in the email we need active members to keep things going in an active manner.  Glad you made it.

The tandem axles are very nice.  I can put the extension up on the mill for travel.  It was delivered that way.  It also gives more stability in towing.  Yes, the red diesel tank bothers me.  I have thought about painting it yellow but then it is opaque and in sunlight you can not see fuel level.  Of course without sun (what is the sun in my area of the world) you can't see the level anyway.  Just have to be real careful to not screw that one up.  Diesel is now written in black on the top.  I have never seen a yellow tank of that design thus that is most likely why they went with the red.  The new fixed metal tank you have is much better.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 06:21:25 PM »
Thanks for telling me about this forum.  I will try and get more people over here too.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:49:33 AM by Kirk Allen »
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 06:17:47 AM »

Good choice on a nice simple easy to work on mill.   I have over 10000 hours on my B20 with very few problems.   Steve