alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: New From Tennessee  (Read 13538 times)

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
New From Tennessee
« on: March 03, 2015, 03:05:11 AM »
Hi,

New member, little older mill owner.  Owned a Woodmizer LT40 (manual) since 1991.  Bought the mill to process timber mainly off my own place, and build stuff for my own place, but do occasionally saw for other folks.  Largest project ever was a 50x200 building for a neighbor's business.  Built 3 rental homes for myself, using white pine for framing, red oak for trim, cabinets/etc.

That's about it !

andy

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: New From Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:26:43 AM »
Welcome aboard Andy from Tennessee. 
From your description you may have bought the mill to process stuff for just your use; but 3 houses and a 10000 sq ft business building is a lot of board feet that you have sawn with that mill.

Got any pictures of the 50x200 building and stuff from your endeavors?
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 07:44:53 PM »
Don't have a pic of the big building, but here are 3 rental houses I built, mostly out of my sawed lumber.

Then there a whole bunch of stuff built on our place, again out of our timber.

House (built in 1985, before I had a mill.  I hauled my logs to a local miller)  The addition going on off the deck is the "SkyZebo" (2009)

Clearing white pine/etc for a pasture.  These logs built the house.

My shop  35x75.  Siding is lap sawn white pine.

Pile of white pine 2x8's that went in the floor of one of the rentals.  I usually keep the mill set up in a shed, but sometimes it's easier to move the mill to the logs than carry the logs down to the mill.

24x24 hay barn with stalls below.

8x12 x30' poplar beam I needed for a project.  My mill is a 21' model, but if you're careful, you can 'sneak' up on pretty long lengths....ahahahaaaa

One of my favorite little projects.  A 3 cord shed I can tow around (empty) to different parts of the farm where I'm thinning or clearing that year.  Built 4 of these, and try to keep them filled.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Andy!  VERY nice pics!  Great projects and a true inspiration for me to get more done here on the farm!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 01:13:51 AM »
Thanks for the pictures.  Nice to see what one guy can do when he sets his mind to do it.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 04:50:37 AM »
Nice work there, if you get bored just come on down to the flat country and give me a hand.

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 05:56:29 AM »
Thanks for the welcome fellers.

xlogger:  Not much danger of me getting bored.  My list of projects will probably last me to about age 146.  Check back with me then.  ;D

Ya'll might enjoy a closeup of the "SkyZebo" I was adding on in the house photo above.  We re-did the original deck from 1985 in 2009 (along with new house roof, and bunch of stuff, trying to get the house in shape for retirement years), so I decided to add a little gazebo.  Wife came home from work one day and I had a concrete truck backed in below the deck, pouring a footer/floor for the thing.

"WHAT are you doing ?"
"Building a little gazebo, honey"

Took 28 courses of block to get up level with the deck !  It has a basement and a sub-basement....called "The Dungeon".....ahahahaaaa.  Foundation is 10'x10', 8" split faced block.

Roof beams are 4x8 red cedar, and the entire inside is finished with red cedar.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 06:23:50 AM »
Great pictures and welcome!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 08:12:42 AM »
Awesome projects there.  I really like the firewood shed unit
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com