alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Tennessee Native Lumber law  (Read 11226 times)

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
Tennessee Native Lumber law
« on: March 03, 2015, 06:17:31 AM »
The History behind the Act:

Tennessee adopted the use of State wide building codes in the last few years, whereas in the past, rural areas had pretty much been "building inspector free zones" (except electrical and septic).  Along with that came the requirement that any lumber used in home construction be grade stamped.  What that means is you can't use ungraded sawmill lumber for homes (still OK for buildings for agricultural use) like you could in the previous 200 or so years of State history.

This has been an issue in other States as well, and the way around that code requirement for some States has been to adopt a Native Species Act.  The method varies from State to State, but generally, the sawyer that produced the lumber can inspect his own product, and furnish a certification that in their opinion, the lumber meets the specs of #2 softwood lumber, making it acceptable for construction.  Some States allow for a stamp, some simply a letter, but in any case, code officials must accept that to meet code requirements.

This lets the 'small guys', or folks that own a personal mill (like myself) use the timber grown locally for construction lumber.  I know in my own case, I can saw a WHOLE LOT better lumber than the stuff I can buy at the Big Box stores, imported from the West Coast, or Canada.  Not unusual to look at a bundle of studs, for example, and see the tree center in 75% of them.  They must be sawing 'trees' 6" in diameter for studs.  Some of the knotty, twisted, warped stuff you see at the stores shouldn't grade # 3, much less #2.  But since it has the holy "stamp", it's good to go !

Where we are now:

I got with my local State rep, and we crafted a bill that he introduced in the Legislature this session and is now in committee.  The House bill is HB0978, and the Senate is SB0822.

The actual text of the bill is here, if you wish to read it:

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/109/Bill/HB0978.pdf

IF you live in Tennessee, and have an interest in being able to use native Tennessee lumber to build your home/etc with, and NOT have to buy grade stamped lumber (often imported), then do your part, and spend a few minutes to email the legislators in both Agriculture committees. THE MORE FOLKS THEY HEAR FROM, THE MORE LIKELY THIS IS TO GET OUT OF COMMITTEE AND VOTED ON THIS SESSION.

You can find the members here:

House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee - TN General Assembly

Senate Energy, Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee - TN General Assembly

Simply click on the legislator's photo, and their page will come up, along with an "Email Me" link.

Here is the letter I sent, if you wish to build yours around it, feel free. Please don't simply copy and paste. Use your own wording.

Sir,

I would appreciate your vote to approve HB 0978, currently in the House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee. This bill would allow Tennesseans to use sawmill lumber in the construction of their homes if they desire, just like they have done for hundreds of years until standard building codes were adopted that require a grade stamp on the lumber.

That requirement knocks out all of the small personally owned sawmills, and small commercial mills from using personally, or selling lumber for that purpose, as they simply can't afford the cost of belonging to the large organizations that control lumber grading. What that means is if I want to cut the fine timber off my Tennessee land, and use it to build my own home, I can't do so. I must buy a far inferior lumber, imported from the West Coast or Canada, simply because it meets the building code. Seems a shame to be 'coded out' of our heritage of using native Tennessee lumber, cut from the vast forests of Tennessee, simply because a code requires it.

I sincerely hope you will vote to correct this.

Thank you,

(and my signature/address/phone number)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Tennessee Native Lumber law
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »

The actual text of the bill is here, if you wish to read it:

Andy
It appears that the link is dead when I click on it.

Thanks for posting on the subject.  I am interested in the topic as I live in the aforementioned West Coast lumber producing area and I too am tired of picking through the stacks of lumber to find some that I will actually pay for with the defects that meet #2 standards.  Just walk through new construction and look at what is being put into houses these days.

There is a post that 4x4American had going on NY and their current code effort to stop non commercially graded lumber. 
Hopefully he will see this.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:45:29 AM »
With some searching I found  the same exact thread you have on homesteadingtoday.com where the link worked fine.  Don't know what the issue is.  Try this link for those that want to read the bill.

The link only gives two pages of the document and the bottom of page two clearly show there is a page three or more as the sentence ends rather abruptly.

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:29:49 PM »
No, it's just 2 pages.  Last sentence ends with "the public welfare requiring it".

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »
Well, the bill is up for discussion and possible vote out of committee this morning, so IF you haven't sent an email, please do.

Committee is usually the make or break point of bills....if they make it out to the floor, and aren't too controversial, they almost all pass.

Thanks

andy

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:40:58 PM »
Flew thru the House sub-committee, and is on the agenda for the full committee next week, the next hurdle.

Hasn't come up on the Senate side yet.

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 07:41:25 PM »
Was voted out of the Senate committee on Energy/Ag today, 9-0, even after one witness tried his best to confuse the issue talking about hardwood lumber grading, which has absolutely NOTHING to do with this bill.  Mark Twain was right.....two things you don't want to watch being made are legislation and sausage.  I wanted to scream at the committee while these folks that know NOTHING about lumber were testifying.  Didn't matter, in the end, the Senators saw thru the smokescreen and common sense prevailed.  I was very proud of them.

One Senator (Nicely) said: (paraphrased) "You know what grading is about ?  Eliminating competition !  Big companies like Georgia Pacific want the whole market to themselves to sell the junk lumber they sell.  MAYBE what we need to do it go back and take a look at the whole building codes thing we passed a couple years back"  I jumped up and down.....PREACH IT BROTHER !

He also said "People say if you don't like your kid, leave them a farm.  If you REALLY don't like them, leave them a sawmill.  My daddy left me both, so I'm not sure what that says about our relationship".  ;D

It was amended to include language that the University of Tennessee will set up a short grading course at a 'nominal' cost (we'll see) to certify small mill owners to grade and stamp their own lumber if they choose to SELL lumber for construction purposes.

It exempts any lumber used for ag buildings, (for which permits are NOT required anywhere in Tennessee....this was to head off future problems),  and also exempts anyone with a mill cutting lumber from their land and using it for any purpose on their land (including a house) from grade/stamp requirements to meet building codes, which is what I was really after.  I simply want use my own lumber to build my own stuff without interference from a code weenie.

It's due for a vote in the House Ag committee on April 1st (no fooling).  Assuming it makes it out of that committee, it will be ready for a floor vote in both houses.  So things are progressing nicely !

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 08:21:27 PM »
Sounds like a real win.  I really like the U of T nominal grading course.  While that can backfire that also has a lot of potential for good.