alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: So, WHAT do you do with the lumber off your mill ?  (Read 14179 times)

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
So, WHAT do you do with the lumber off your mill ?
« on: March 04, 2015, 02:05:30 PM »
I sell a very small amount from time to time, but mostly, I have a hard enough time keeping lumber for my projects.  I bought my Woodmizer in 1991 because we own 75ac of mostly timber up the side of a mountain, and I never wanted to have it commercially logged.

Since then, I've built a bunch of sheds/barns/etc around here (more than enough to pay for the mill), done some cabinet and millwork ( one of the projects was to build a 35x75 shop building to generate more projects...ahahahaa), built some furniture, and so on.  I air dry my lumber on sticks off the mill, (drying shed below), then the stuff that needs to be 6-8%, I built a little dry kiln in a corner of the shop, runs off an old window AC unit.

16x64  4 Bay lumber drying shed: (not finished in this photo)

We built our house in 1985, using timber off the place (had to take it to a local mill at that time....too broke to buy a Woodmizer), so about 5 years ago, we started remodeling, getting it ready for retirement age, and finishing up the odds/ends I never did the first time around (my wife keeps a perpetual list going).

I'd built the first cabinets, but 25 years later, my skills and tooling had improved, so we're more pleased with this final (fingers crossed) round on it.

This was the v.1:  I had no clue how to build a raised panel door, so did board/batten (batten was on the inside) using strips of 3/4" red oak, run in a "V" groove on a router table.

This time around, did raised red oak panels, and a LOT more drawers.  I ended up going back inside the previous cabinets and mounting slide out drawer/shelves, so this time, we just decided to go with mostly drawers mounted on those REAL nice ball bearing/self closing slides.  Like it MUCH better.

Gutted the whole thing down to the studs, added things like vented hood (which was a real trick, as there is a bathroom with all kinds of plumbing directly overhead) and used granite this time around.  Granite has actually come down in price to the point it's competitive with Formica tops, if you don't go too crazy on the stone you pick.

Door goes out to what was originally just a covered porch, then became a frame in some window holes and screen them over so we can use it more to a 'why don't you just put real windows in it so we can use it all year round, tile the concrete floor, etc, etc, etc.  Ya'll have places in your house that don't look anything like what you started out with ?

12" deep x 8' long x 7' high pantry unit down the hall leading to the garage.

1 1/4" raised panel red oak bifold doors (quarter sawn), washer/dryer area.

I spent about 6 months on the remodel.  Most of the cabinets/etc, I had prebuilt in the shop before I set in and tore up the kitchen, but the kitchen was out of commission most of the summer.

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
Re: So, WHAT do you do with the lumber off your mill ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 02:32:33 PM »
In order to remodel the kitchen above, I built an 'auxiliary' kitchen off the back of the garage to use temporary while the main kitchen was torn up.  Then later finished it into my meat cutting room ( we process our own beef, pork, deer, chickens/etc from the farm) plus another pantry for home canned goods.  Food plays a BIG part in our daily life, and not just the eating part.....ahahaaaaaa

First, knocked a hole in the back wall of the garage for the addition, which is 12'x22'.  Pic shows the slab ready for pour.  Added a chimney flue on at the time for a wood cook stove in the final room.
Wife came home from her day job that day, rolled up the garage door and another SURPRISE...garage with a view !  :D

Another view before slab.  Back of our house drops about 30' down to a creek, so it's sorta tough working back there.  I'd already added the new deck year before, in anticipation of adding this room on.

More white pine rafters and 1x sheathing, tying into the garage roof.

Framed a walk-in cooler, 6x6 while I was at it.  Found a used cooler door, and just built the rest out of foam with white fiberglass panels on the inside to finish.  Mounted some hooks in the ceiling on a big beam up in the attic to handle meat hanging.

The 3 little pigs....   :o

Next to walk-in is space for a canning pantry.

2x6 white pine studs, 1x diagonal sheathing.

Rest of the room, put a commercial sink on the other side, with a 30gal water heater underneath, used the dishwasher that came out of the main kitchen, comes in handy to wash a BUNCH of canning jars at the same time.  We'll do canning runs sometimes of 34 quarts at a time (3 canners running).  Cabinets now have doors and all.  Poplar takes paint well.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:19:53 PM »
Wow some real great work!

I hope to have your kind of skill one day.

2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 01:33:04 AM »
You are one very talented individual.  You also have way more time than I do for working on projects.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 02:05:04 AM »
None of it happened overnight.   I'm 32 years into a 50 year project.  My end goal is the NEXT guy won't have to do near as much as I did.....ahahahaaaa

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 03:43:57 AM »

You have way more ambition than me for sure.  Nice work.    Steve

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 05:13:14 AM »
You do good work.

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »
Beautiful!  I sell most of mine, and let more skilled hands do the creative work.
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline John B

• Contributor
    • www.tractorpart.com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 09:37:58 PM »
Here is my first milling project about 13 years ago.
It's a log cabin workshop that I built in Alaska.
It's 14 x 16. I milled the lumber with a chainsaw mill.
It is hundreds of miles from the road system so I had to haul all of the logs and lumber by snomobile.
One of the challenges was the weather. The warmest day durring the build was about -30. I had to keep the screw driver and nut driver bits in my glove or they would snap instantly from the cold when used. ;D

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 07:22:07 AM »
Looks good John.  I like that 'garage door'....I take it that is a snow machine access with the ramp ?

I built my first barn/shop building here in the place with a chainsaw mill too.  Slow going, for sure, but you can do some cool things with one....for example, I had a main beam 8x10-36' long !

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 02:07:33 AM »
Nice work.  I want that Woodmizer that cuts the corn!
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 10:03:47 AM »
Nice little cabin.  In summer did you have to fly in or hike in after the thaw. It would have been quite the hike at 100 miles.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 06:53:58 PM »
i always enjoy seeing the handy work of others, great job guys!!
follow your heart, the rest will happen