alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Farm tractor mounted skidding winches  (Read 25773 times)

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
Farm tractor mounted skidding winches
« on: March 04, 2015, 02:41:23 PM »
How many of ya'll use a farm tractor with a skidding winch for you 'get-logs-out-of-the-woods' tool ?

Bunch of different companies make them, seems most from Scandinavian countries....they be must more into that type thing.

I bought this Igland from a dealer in Maryland probably 20 years ago now....BOY has it been handy !  And stout.  If it can't move the log to the tractor, it can mover the tractor to the log.  Pic shows it mounted on my previous tractor, a 33hp New Holland.  Now I've got a 41hp Yanmar.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Farm tractor mounted skidding winches
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:35:56 AM »
I have a Farmi 501 will have to dig up some photos.  Real nice unit.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »
Nice, will proberly get one one day.  How do you like the yanmar compared to the NH?
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:26:57 PM »
MUCH better tractor. Much heavier built, far better loader.

I broke so many things on the Model 1925 NH it wasn't even funny.  Cracking the bell housing was the last straw ($1300 part + had to virtually disassemble the whole tractor to get to it).....I sold it.

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 10:11:04 PM »
Woof.

We had a NH TN75 bought brand new at a farm I worked at.  That thing had nothing but problems.. split the thing three times, electronics always going bad and the dealer had to come out to do the electronics stuff.  The electronics would inable it to move.  Ended up bringing it to the dealer and said its your headache now and the boss traded in for a brandy new T 4.75 with a cab that has been so far so good.
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline Pinesawyer

• New Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 03:32:47 PM »
I have an old Farmi. Wouldn't be without it in the woods.

Offline lauztuvass

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 10:16:43 AM »
Why in yours countrys is so populars skidding winches? In my country all workers is using something like this http://m.skelbiu.lt/index.php?mod=m&action=showPhotos&id=19221305
Intrsting, diferencys in countrys.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »
If the terrain is flat then a forwarder or a machine like yours works great and is used often.  It is also more expensive in general.  In steep and or hilly terrain a skidding winch or skidder is very useful as the forwarder has trouble with the inclines.
There is a big difference between our western states and the mid-west central states and the northeastern states as to equipment that is favored.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 07:11:56 AM »
I had a dandy Farmi winch until a friend talked me out of it. I don't do much logging now logs are just dropped off next to the mill. Best rig I ever used I built from the back of a cable crane truck, cut it off behind the cab. I pulled it with a JD 830 diesel. ( the big one not lawn tractor) The trailer had a heavy wreaking winch PTO driven. Would back the trailer agenst a tree play out the cable and keel haul to the trailer and load the bunks. The trailer was the perfect hight to roll the logs on the dead deck. Frank C.

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 11:56:41 AM »
I got this one from the junkyard for $75.00... It's PTO driven.
I'm going to change it over to a gas engine unit so then i can
use it behind anything that can pull it.

Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 07:05:16 PM »
TnAndy, I've got a green Yanmar a JD 1250 and your right their a heavy duty tractor I am well pleased with it. Its old simple three cyl. diesel no electronics nice loader. Frank C.

Offline moodnacreek

• Major Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 05:11:40 PM »
I had a dandy Farmi winch until a friend talked me out of it. I don't do much logging now logs are just dropped off next to the mill. Best rig I ever used I built from the back of a cable crane truck, cut it off behind the cab. I pulled it with a JD 830 diesel. ( the big one not lawn tractor) The trailer had a heavy wreaking winch PTO driven. Would back the trailer agenst a tree play out the cable and keel haul to the trailer and load the bunks. The trailer was the perfect hight to roll the logs on the dead deck. Frank C.
A John Deere 830? Biggest I ever had was a 60. Did you ever saw with it?

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 05:45:03 PM »
I always wanted to try the 830 0n the circular mill but have always had dedicated diesels on both mills I've owned with Vee belts and it was too much hassle to hook up. Traded the 830 and now have a 70 diesel. I'm quite sure it would run the mill especially if I didn't get too frisky with big oaks. Those old two cylinders diesels are like Thors hammer and have roughly the same displacement as a 6-71 Detroit. Frank C.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 08:47:14 AM »
The 70 diesel enjoyed the title of most fuel efficient diesel farm tractor for something like 29 years if I recall properly.  Fantastic achievement.

I love the old tractors, love the old Poppers, but can't stand using the hand clutch while trying to back up or when threading through tight woods.  If I was to ever own another one it'd be getting a power steering upgrade.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools