alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: new planer  (Read 29525 times)

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
new planer
« on: March 06, 2015, 06:26:50 PM »
Finally broke down and order a new planer, after looking at ones for over a year now. Got a 20" Jet with spiral head. I'm brand new to woodworking so I've got lots to learn. I cut a good bit of cedar with my TK and plan on doing most with that also maybe a little Walnut too. I've got a 8" jointer with a spiral head also. Now I'm going to try to figure out what the best for me on a router table.

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
Re: new planer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »
Is it a spiral blade, or individual teeth in a spiral ?

I converted my Sunhill 8x72 jointer to a spiral blade head about 10 years back. 

Been wanting a Grizzly planer with the individual carbide teeth in it....the ones you can turn 4 times with a new cutting edge on each.  I figure one set of teeth would probably last me the rest of my days !

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 04:00:17 AM »
It's like the Byrd head but the teeth are in a spiral, I think there are about 90 some teeth there that you turn 4 times. My jointer is the same only less teeth. Anyone here use a router table much? I'm looking at a Triton 3 1/4hp that you can change bits above the table without a router lift.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 04:59:10 PM »
I have the 20 inch Grizzly with the individual carbide cutters on a spiral head.  SWEET operation!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 06:22:03 PM »
Kirk, this is my first planer. If you have several 4" boards do you run them threw a few at a time maybe one then another just not all at the same time or all at once?

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 07:51:57 AM »
I would start one board then as it gets pulled in I feed another in next to it and so on.  I would not start them all at once although you probably could.  It just seems easier to have one board in my hands at a time. 

The advantage to doing it the way I describe is that when they come out the other side you have time to grab and stack each board.  Put them in all at once and then you have four boards to deal with.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »
Do you have a router table, if you do what kind of router do you have?

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »
I've got a homemade router table, with a 3hp Porter Cable plunge router in it.  I use a JoinTech fence system on it that is pretty nice.  You can make a boat load of different dovetail, and double dovetail joints.

My heavy duty work, I have a model 26, 5hp Powermatic shaper with 1/2" and 1 1/4" shafts.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 06:40:57 AM »
I wish I had chosen the spiral head, but I went with an 18 inch straight blade. Hard to set accurately, and blade nicks suck bad.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.