alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Sawing Salvaged Heart Pine (pics added)  (Read 35744 times)

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Sawing Salvaged Heart Pine (pics added)
« on: March 08, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »
I got a call from a past customer today and he has about 11,000 BF of salvaged heart pine heading my way to be resawn for flooring. 

Anyone ever cut the stuff and if so what type of blade has worked best?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:27:26 AM by KEA »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
Re: Sawing Salvaged Heart Pine
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »
I think Fla Deadhead used the munks????

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 11:52:42 PM »
Swing blades?   ;D
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:41:35 AM »
This is one case where the swing blade wont work ;D 

I dont think they can resaw lumber like a bandmill but who knows, with the right jig anything is possible. ;)

Offline Mark

• Contributor
    • Shootin'Creek LogstoLumber.org
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 10:11:34 PM »
i just recently saw as with my eyes an oak floor that was cut with a circlesaw.I $h$t you not......it was installed and taken down lightly via sanding.$750,000 rustic Timber Frame and it looked awesome!!!The radial saw marks stood out,added alittle traction grip and had a natural patina to it from the darkening of the raised grain and saw marks,I believe it had a satin finish as any kinda gloss woulda shown everydefect imaginable.Guys.come on! you had to have seen something like this before.I liked it and made a mental note to try and use it in my next house.A beautiful floor it was....   Mark

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:30:22 AM »
You can cut the flooring with a circle mill but trying to "re-saw" what was already cut before is not commonly done and I suppose the circle mill folks will tell you its probably on the dangerous side to even try it. 

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 02:29:19 PM »
Let me know when you want some tight knot Douglas Fir flooring, Mark.  I recently completed about 3,000 board feet of 5/4  x 4 for flooring and paneling on the ceiling of a new house.  I am in the process of drying right now.  I still have around 1,500 feet to dry and then dry the Oak, for the same folks.

Offline Mark

• Contributor
    • Shootin'Creek LogstoLumber.org
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
Frank,soon as I catch up with this economic tailspin......I'd love to!! Remember,I've recently jumped out of the home building business and headlong into sawing and selling lumber.Don't get me wrong,I've been able to combine a few lifelong dreams and passions at the same time but it's taken a toll on my pocket and my family.It's like starting all over again.23yrs. building homes and no more,I'm done.I sure do look forward to sawing everyday but right now I'm basically sawing my own inventory.spending my own wad.worse part of the economic trend right now is, not only are people NOT making any money,but they aren't spending either.I have been doing some share cutting for walnut and cherry but this gets expensive for me,I know what it's like to not be able to pay someone but still have something of value to use as a bartering tool and thats why I will share cut as much as I can afford to.Doesn't put bread on the table now but it will "someday".The name of my boat was "Some Day Came".I have alot of someday's and someday you and I might do business.I know for 8 months I looked at mills and said "someday",well, everyday..When I drove to Royston ,Ga.to get my mill I was just elated that I had another "someday" that came.I also have 2 mountain lots for sale and each one of those will chaulk up one more"some day".If I didn't sell one lot back in Jan.I woulda lost all 3.These days do come "some times",but this is the worst economic disaster I've ever been through.I'm old enough to have lived and worked through a few slowdowns and recessions but this one is the worse..I apologize for jumping off topic here I just want to be as clear and honest about all I can.I love meeting new people and doing new things and I'm used to jumping in the truck and taking off cross country to see a race,fish,hunt ,surf,buy a car,or lumber but I just can't right now and it drives me crazy.Good days are yet to come back for us all and I'll be the frst to jump back in the truck and take off.Thanks for the offer Frank and "someday" I might take you up on it......Mark :)

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 08:47:01 AM »
That is ok, Mark.  I know exactly what you mean.  There a great many some days for all of us.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 08:22:26 PM »
We started on the 10,800 BF resaw job last week.  The owner and a freind came down and spent two days removing metal from the timber.  They got through about 1/3 of the pile.

This is a close up of the tight rings. I counted over 75 and this board is only 3.5" thick.

When they get the timbers ready they stack them here and then I use the forklift to grab a stack of them and put on the mill.

As I cut I stack them in this pile and when I get 16" high and 30" wide I band them and move them to the other side.

This is what I have done so far.

Although they tried to get all the metal out, you know how it goes. :o

Found this stuck in one of the grooves of the flooring. I am assuming the builder put it there during construction.  I know Timber Framers will place a Silver Dollar under one of the main posts with the date the building was put up.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:54:47 PM by KEA »

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 11:07:53 PM »
Forgot to mention.  I have been using both the 10 degree and 9 degree WM blades and both are working just fine.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Sawing Salvaged Heart Pine (pics added)
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 08:33:46 AM »
Got an email about the ring count this morning.  Appearently my eyes are not very good as it appears I was off by quite a bit.

"I counted 92 rings and the top of the board is not shown in the pic?"

I cant recall the last time I saw rings so tight, other than maybe an old hickory chunk Reid Crosby showed me in PA.  I think it had around 75 and it was only about 1 1/2" in diameter. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 08:57:26 AM »
And they are going to use this for flooring?

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 12:26:02 PM »
Yep!  They brought a finished piece down today and it is beutiful stuff.  He has 4500 Sq. feet he is going to cover with it in his new house.

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 05:10:26 PM »
You can cut the flooring with a circle mill but trying to "re-saw" what was already cut before is not commonly done and I suppose the circle mill folks will tell you its probably on the dangerous side to even try it. 
Kinda depends on the board ya got to re saw....I would think a gang saw would be the cats pajamas on medium sized cants....but there are myriad of circular re saws out there to do stuff like this....BUT a carriage type sawmill or swing blade....not so good.
I sometimes split a 3/4 or so  board off of  a 2 inch dog board.....But I always tense up a hair when I do...could pullout on ya :o :o ;)

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 09:16:39 PM »
The problem is that a 2 inch board resting on the bunks could skate....makes me pretty nervous as well when sawing a cant.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 06:26:09 PM »
I managed to get several hours of cutting in Saturday and looks like a good day or two should be all it takes to finish up the Heart Pine that I am cutting. 

Rain today and massive winds.  Out of power for the last three hours :(
Got a total of 2 1/2" since last night and that doesnt help me any as far as getting to any of my logs.  I have a bunch of Osage orders and cant get near the logs yet.

Looks like we may have to replant all the soybeans as well.  Field is under two foot of water and as saturated as things are I suspect the seeds will rot before the water drains off.   :(

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 08:24:01 PM »
We are getting rain tonight....just poured 20 yards of concrete in the floor of a basement....so I don't need the rain.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 08:31:09 AM »
As long as it holds off for about 6-8 hours you should be alright!  :D

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 11:08:01 PM »
Got in about 6 hours of cutting today and if the rain holds off we should have all the heart pine done by Wendsday. 

So far we have toasted 8 blades from metal but none since they started using the metal detector.  Now that I say that I will hit 5 nails tomarrow ::)

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 08:38:15 AM »
You will really great when you are finished, I know.  I just completed a very large job for a house in Bend, Oregon. 

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 10:10:17 PM »
OK, only one nail today but about 20 of the baords had the most abrasive white paint on them and it was all I could do to get through three of those boards before having to change blades.  :( 

I am down to the short stack of boards.  Mostly 8-10 footers and they should go pretty quick.  Shooting to finish up on Monday! 

Managed to bag another 12 bags of sawdust today from the heart pine for the Biomizer.  Stocking up for winter.  ;D

Offline Buzz Sawyer

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 09:16:03 PM »
Hey Kirk you forgot your sawdust today.....looked like 20 bags or so.......... ??? ???

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 08:30:07 PM »
Save it for me Buzz!

Finsished the heart pine today and only hit metal one last time! 
10 blades got whacked on this project.  It was interesting to see the difference in metal from many years back versus new stuff.  The old metal toasts the blades while new metal often times can go un-noticed after being struck. 

Offline JP Sinclair

• Major Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 02:54:06 PM »
Kirk-What are you using for a metal detector?, I just got in some nice old "taphole" sugar maple but I'm nervous about it because it came out of a very old sugarbush operation and sometimes the old timers weren't very good about taking out the old taps in the spring. 

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 05:03:50 PM »
The owner of the wood used a wizard wand.  Does pretty good but I have not had luck with mine on logs. 

I have another large metal detector but I will have to look at the name on it.  It works very well when I take the time to pull it out and use it  ;D

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 10:25:23 PM »
Finished up the Heat Pine resaw job when Buzz was over helping and we managed to get it loaded and shipped off to its new home!