alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: mill rat from wis.  (Read 9068 times)

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
mill rat from wis.
« on: March 18, 2015, 07:23:12 PM »
a big hello
 i'm new here, but far from new :angel: my oddesy into the world of wood began as just an idea, man i should of layed down till that idea passed ;D back in 1998 i bought a new 4 sided planer, set out to seek my fortune after some very humbling months (not much work) i really was second guessing my plan. if spending 80 plus grand on new equipment wasn't enough i decided to build a big shop and put in a kiln. going into winter i was 165 grand up to my eyes in debt >:(
 once word got out about my kiln, the phone started ringing and people started stopping, the dream was coming awake! throughout the first winter things really started hoping. spring came i built a big storage building and bought a bandmill. things kept growing adding employees buying more equipment. the only advertising was word of mouth.i averaged over 600 customers per year. my services were,custom sawing k.drying and machining lumber. all the while selling my own products.
 the business got to the point we were shipping finished flooring to several differant countries as well as most states in the usa. in 2012 my health had started going down hill (3 types of arthritis) so,the decision to shut the business down was a very hard and painful one. in the spring of 2013 i was still finishing the last of the remaining orders.one saturday my son was just hanging out at the shop,he use to work for me a few years prior but, went to work else wheres. anyway, he asked me what my plans for the business was. nothing i told him ,i'll shut the doors and figure it out later,the business didn't cost me anything so i didnt need to sell.we talked and he asked me if he could take over the business? i told him the first thing he needed to do was change the answering machine. :)
 in 2014  he has completly bought me out and now i'm an advisor and teacher. the list of equipment is still impressive 5 head moulder,4 sided planer, gang rip saw, end matcher, 15,000 b.f kiln and the list goes on. yearly production is around 1 million b.f.
 when i'm not helping in the shop i farm, 45 beef cows, 65 bison ,farrow to finish hogs and grass finish my beef steers. running 750 acres.
 if i can offer any help to people just starting or have questions thats my way of paying it forward. thanks for taking the time to read my rambling ;D
follow your heart, the rest will happen

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: mill rat from wis.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 01:15:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum ROL. 
You are always welcome here. 
With your background I am certain you can be of help to many of us.  Sounds like you have quite the operation with all of the equipment.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:39:42 AM »
Welcome to the club!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »
So what do you do in your 'spare' time ?  ahahahaaaaaaa....

Welcome from another new guy.

Offline red oaks lumber

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 04:34:08 PM »
thanks guys
 in my spare time i work on the ol honey do list :laugh:
follow your heart, the rest will happen