alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: On the road again  (Read 61533 times)

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
Re: On the road again
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2015, 11:33:38 PM »
This particular job came thru my add on this site ;D ;)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2015, 07:45:14 AM »
Now wait a minute.  If the job was a result of advertising on this site doesn't that mean the site gets  a piece of the action?  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist considering some history on another site.  ;D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2015, 09:54:50 AM »
Oh yes it costs so much to run a site.  :o What with all the free moderators time that you are not paying for and the fact that you get all the revenue from advertising and a significant percentage of any sale that might have been connected to your site.  Go Kirk I think you are missing out on a big revenue stream. ;)

Oh yeah I forgot, you are trying to provide a site where people are free to be normal and do not have to cower and pay homage to their fief.
Sorry I could not help myself. ::)
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2015, 12:19:53 AM »
This last customer had done his research and was well informed on every detail of of the process.

The job I am on now, was to be 50 beams resawn into dimensional lumber and had been postponed twice so he could get a tractor on site.
What we found after digging out the GOOD map was grab 4 low and get a run at it kind of driveway that winds up the side hill still working on an exit strategy that does not involve additional rotatory style equipment, as we are boxing our selves in at this point. Several log decks below the road but have yet to see a beam. A Case 580K is called a tractor. Might add he only counted 50% 0f the logs  ;) The tailing pile is growing to the point that we need to move the mill to to the opposite side of the road. Looks like we will be making the 98 mile commute all week. This site has steep mountains on all the routes into it except one and it is an extra 30 miles but that is the route we will bring the mill out of there.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2015, 08:15:02 PM »
After finishing the log decks that were above the road the mill needed to be set up on a grass hill side well below the road. In the time it took to mill up three log truck loads, the tail end of the mill shifted 6' down the hill and the front end shifted a couple feet. Mainly from log bumps and loose wedges due to soft ground. on the last day I loaded the winch and recovery tools as the route out was up hill over grass and slick mud from the backhoe running around in the soaking rain.

The first tug slung mud but did not budge the mill. Some more digging and the mill started rocking loose then I gained enough traction to get the truck on the road. A quick setup of the winch, cable and block and the mill was on the road pointed in the right direction.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2015, 07:31:20 PM »
Took the mill on a 200 mile road trip to Lincoln city for a truck load of Doug fir some over sized.
When we arrived two more truck loads of western red cedar some over sized were on the cut list.
Second day in we lost a hydraulic pump and had to return home for the spare, finished up all the cedar and half way thru fir when the drive shaft on the feed motor sheared off. Woodmizer does not stock this part and will have to have the part made. Portland indicated 3-5 weeks so I got a hold of Indy and talked with the engineer that was involved in designing this prototype mill back in 1999 (very first LT-70 they built) He indicated that with a rush on it they could have it ready in 3-5 business days.
November has been WET over on the coast so the brake gave us time to dry out all our camping gear :-\ get the family Christmas tree farm harvested and shipped also allowing the customer time to bring in two more truck loads of logs. Down side is next customer had to be bumped out a bit farther then he wanted as he did not have enough milled to finish his project on the first go around ::)

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2015, 11:56:02 PM »
20 days of down time, woodmizer was holding off on building the shaft until a gear came in ??? The gear was fine I just needed the shaft. Shaft arrived but the machinist had gone to lunch before doing the final step so shaft did not fit, rattled more then one shop door to find a machinist to finish the shaft on a Sunday, cost me $20 and twenty 2x12x12 for a bridge deck and we were back to making sawdust in the freezing rain on the norther coast. As the high winds came in we headed to west Portland and milled out 8,000 bft of fencing as the city was flooding, More high winds found us a 100 miles south setting the mill up in the dark on a small side hill landing with limbs snapping off from trees all around.
log owner needed more time to get equipment on site and we needed to take trip up north so we will give it just enough time for the next storm to roll thru and then get to making sawdust.   

Side note when driving in Portland traffic with heavy rain even the navigator should not be texting while you are driving or you will be taking ANOTHER scenic route ::) giving even more people that have a tree to mill up a chance to call you giving you the opportunity to miss the next turn leading you on yet another flooded scenic route.

What a rat race ;D

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2015, 11:19:18 PM »
We had one stubborn log, so parked the excavator on the sawdust mound and reached over. This was a flat lading with a fresh layer of rock the day we set up. After milling a few stacks of lumber (whole house project) it took a bit to dig out the mill.

On the next job take note of how well the logs line up with the mill, and no hydraulics on site, customer rolled all the logs to the mill.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2015, 12:07:34 AM »
You have been doing some sawing.

Offline lauztuvass

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »
Nice work.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
on the road again
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2015, 10:58:03 PM »
We finished up this trip with a good soaking rain ::)
We pulled in, parked the mill and got everything drip drying.
The last "NEW" saw that broke took out the main 3 V drive belt. I carry a spare and made a not so quick belt swap and was back up and running. Had enough spare parts to keep everything running but it is time to do some maintenance and up grades.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2015, 11:39:42 PM »
45 days on the road starting at the beginning of November into mid December, 100-225 miles out, with a 800 mile r.t. side trip , tent camping the first half and these short days meant early starts and work till dark, then through in "Winter arrived" with an elninio push resulting in near record rainfall, flooding, along with some snow, ice and lots of wind so I can understand little Jo's vote to not work in December and since she makes more sawdust then I do, I agreed to take some maintenance time until at least after Christmas. Well kinda, we still have a day or two of milling to do for ourselves. 
I got to say little Jo puts in as much effort as I do on these trips... On the controls in all weather, keeping the whole operation running smoothly and well organized, and not to bad of a camp cook to boot ;)
 In all our travels a little donut shop on our morning route was the best find, so we brought the donuts and with the cold rain the last customer found the coffee pot to be just what was needed.

The biggest thing on the maintenance list is rewiring from the battery to the hydraulic box with heavier wire and up grading from the lead fuses to the brass fuses. This may involve replacing the little fuse box with a larger one that I can work in without the use of ship in the bottle tools.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2015, 05:15:26 AM »
I have marveled as I follow your work schedule the fact that you seem to be tent camping for days and weeks on end in the most abysmal weather here in the PNW.  Hard core and a hard core gal you have in that woman.  How do you keep the sawdust out of the sleeping bags day after day?

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2015, 04:44:39 PM »

Nice pics again, some of others should post some, I cant even get them from my phone to the computer right now.  I sawed about 1200 bf or really nice black walnut  yesterday morning. It was 10 above but real nice out of the wind and sunny, I just about took my winter coat off for a lighter one.   Steve

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2015, 07:59:02 PM »
We have not perfected the art of keeping the sawdust out of the sleeping bags, or the air in the air mattress, but we did figure out how to stay warm and dry.
Half the challenge of being on the road is carrying everything you need for camping and working and still having enough room to work out of the truck. When we pulled out the truck was loaded over bed high and the cab was packed even higher.

once we established camp with a dried in kitchen area we were able focus on milling. The pop up shelter with a tarp over kept the back of the truck and control panel dry. We each had two sets of rain gear and needed both sets.

This was the longest that we have had the mill on the road in one stretch. It took a lot to make a trip like this to all come together, along with customers that were flexible enough to work around others schedule.

Nice pics again, some of others should post some, I cant even get them from my phone to the computer right now.  I sawed about 1200 bf or really nice black walnut  yesterday morning. It was 10 above but real nice out of the wind and sunny, I just about took my winter coat off for a lighter one.   Steve

Sounds like a nice day of milling, Haven't had any walnut to mill for a while.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2015, 10:04:43 PM »
My hats off to you!  What a great adventure to share with your grandkids one day! 

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2016, 12:00:34 AM »
The new year has us making more sawdust
first was more POC

next came the hill side job

now we are working on a good Mix of local hardwoods, Walnut, Oak, yew, maple

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2016, 11:11:45 PM »
Three large WRC came down.
Little Jo had to run over the mountain to help family so I took the boys on this trip.
Tight quarters so set the mill up three times.
Two logs needed split in half.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2016, 11:21:48 PM »
Project is non structural ;)
He built a wood version of a Yurt and will sheet the inside with cedar.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2016, 09:09:20 PM »
Wow!  Nice project! Thanks for the pics!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2016, 01:26:07 AM »
Definitely some nice work you have there.