alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Tailings  (Read 8121 times)

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
Tailings
« on: April 13, 2015, 07:30:23 PM »
When I worked in the production mill you never had to mess with the tailings unless the chip system plugged up and then a truck load would build up in a hurry as we were processing 1,400 blocks per shift.

The overhead end dogging Carraige would take the block thru a pair of blockchippers giving the block two square sides as it entered thru the "Quad" (a set of four vertical bandmills) 24" and under were one pass, up to 42" were two passes thru the saws.

On down stream we pulled out the pair of cant chippers (They would eat cants if fed wrong) and installed a thin kerf 5 movable saw edger that would trim the tailings, make boards and split large cants as there was a bypass, 2", 4" and 6" edgers further down stream.

The sawmill was on the third floor and the chip system was the first and second floor, office on the fourth floor with a 360 veiw of the whole mill.

Being portable tailings on smaller jobs make a tight stack, but I have ran into some tight spots to set the mill, handle logs, stack lumber and tailings and still get the mill out when done.

One of my most memerable tailing piles was on a hillside and we cut over 30,000 bft in one setting. The customer provided two helpers. Before long there were spring boards, and a break room built into the pile that the top was flat and level with the spread out sawdust pile. On the back side was about a 16' drop.

How do you guys all deal with tailings?

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Re: Tailings
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 03:49:51 AM »
 Not much of a problem here as most saw sites are plenty big, right now I'm a 18000 bf job and they haul them away with a skid loader over to a pile by their outdoor furnace.   Steve

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 08:26:09 PM »
I just throw them in the neighbors yard for them to worry about  :laugh:

If I'm on a portable job I let the customer worry about it.  Most times I just set down some skids and the tailer puts em on there and then when it gets too big a tractor with forks will come haul them off.

At home I've made up some slab holder racks and I do the thing with the skids and haul em to there with tractor.  From there I either let folks who want slabs come haul em off or I have a bonfire with some friends.
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:55:46 AM »
I sell a lot of my "tailing" off the front porch as bundled fire wood.  About $500 a cord if you figure it that way.  I'm located at a really good spot to get the campers.  I also have a neighbor that lovers to clean up black walnut scrap and he's only a fence away.  Sawdust gets spread around the yard for weed control and some is composted for the garden.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »
Good hardwood goes in the firewood pile, rest get burned in a big hole near the mill.