alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Sticker?  (Read 10282 times)

Offline RazrRebel

• New Contributor
Sticker?
« on: May 02, 2015, 07:16:07 AM »
Should I use hardwood or softwood for stickers?  Since I'm brand new at this, I could probably get some practice cutiing my stickers up and letting them dry!

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
Re: Sticker?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:28:52 AM »
I like dry white pine for stickers
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 08:54:48 PM »
I have been trying to use the same species that I am drying only already dried
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 06:04:53 AM »
I don't think it makes much difference on what you use as long as they are dry. I now have a good supply of ERC stickers.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 02:09:01 PM »
I use cotton wood more than anything. Free logs and once dry they last forever and have never stained anything to date.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline RazrRebel

• New Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 04:38:21 PM »
Today I cut about fifty out of a small hickory. This milling lumber is addictive. I can't wait to get a big log on there.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 03:52:30 AM »

Any wood will do.   Steve

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 05:51:39 AM »
Sometimes you can get staining if you mix and match.  It it best for the stickers to be dry.  I like white pine because we have that in abundance around here.

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 12:23:12 AM »
Around here KD Doug fir is used.

When I mill for a customer I don't charge for milling enough sticker stock for them to stack all of their wood on as I go.

When milling my own stickers I pick a few logs, and set up the chop saw with a stop on the flat bed trailer so I can cut a hand full at a time and mill up a pallet or two in a batch. Sticker each layer at 10"-12" oc as you build the pallet so they can start drying . Trim out the worst sections and set a standard, either it is a good sticker or it is not ;) kind of thing. I mill mine 1"x 1 5/8" x length of forks, that lets me pull stickers off of either 1" or 1 5/8" stock later, they lay out quick and provide plenty of air flow.

A lot of customers are surprised to find out just how many stickers it takes to stack a unit of wood at 18" oc, and that 48" oc is not sufficient ;D  

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 08:18:31 PM »
Most times with say 8' stickers I will just sticker the lumber with them, then when I need more or there's enough weight on the pile I will take the chainsaw and cut em off.  It's fairly quick, but still a pain in the dickens

www.KnightSawmilling.com