alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Ham Radio  (Read 8744 times)

Offline Aunt B

• Contributor
Ham Radio
« on: June 12, 2015, 05:42:49 AM »
Y'all have always been such a wealth of information....I figured I'd pop in here and see what help I could get from my friends. Is anyone into Ham Radio here and what advice, knowledge, instruction could y'all give me on such? I've always been curious about it and now I'm thinking I might like to get into it. I believe with the direction our "times" are headed, Ham Radio might turn out to be quite a useful hobby. So....what y'all got for me?
There is no try. There is do and do not.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Ham Radio
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 09:20:30 PM »
I agree, with the way things are going this may become a real asset very soon.   Unfortunatly, I dont know squat about it.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 12:31:19 AM »
Way back in the early 70's before we had TV we had a good one.
Then in the early 80's I spent time manning the one at the county court house on night shift.
But that is the extent of my knowledge and I have slept since then so no advise to give. 

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:28:01 AM »
I was a Ham back in the 1960's.  Pretty much fell out of it over the years but keep thinking I should get back into it. Maybe some day when I have the time. I still have my radios from 1967.  Old tube types. 
The good news they will still work after the EMP takes out all the new fangled stuff.
Have one vehicle that will work.  The mill should work but the setworks will be scrambled.

I have  a friend who is still current. Apparently the code requirement has been eliminated. The knowledge requirement is still there for obvious reasons.  The ARRL (American Radio Relay League) would be one place you can start with. 
http://www.arrl.org/about-arrl
There should be locales near you depending upon where you are.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.