alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Hot  (Read 10022 times)

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Hot
« on: July 15, 2015, 05:50:03 PM »

I'm in Mn but the temps have been 85+ with a 70+ dew point this week which is way to hot and humid for me, how do you guys down south and east work in that heat all the time?   Next week the dew point are going to be in the mid 50's and back to work as I took this week off except for one $350 hay rack.  Steve

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Hot
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »
Been about the same in Illinois.  Hot and muggy! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 12:19:16 AM »
We have been getting a break from the high 90'-100 and have been enjoying the mid to upper 80's, humidity not so much ;)

Milled up a nice redwood tree from the bottom land along the river then tackled some of the bigger maintenance items on the summers list.
swapped motors in one set of cars and trany work on another, Oh and a complete shop clean up that was well past due.
Should wrap up those projects by the end of the day tomorrow, then we are back to making saw dust.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 04:00:52 AM »
We have had high temps running a string that has not been seen since 1977. 
Way too hot for me but then I think anything over 65 is too hot, so this 90+ is miserable.

Really need the rain.  The forest seedlings from this past late winter/early spring are suffering from the drought.  Have had 0.2 inches with the normal at nearly 6" since June 1.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 04:27:02 AM »

This week is better, temps in the mid 70's and mid 50's dew point. I took off most of last week when it was miserable.  Steve

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 05:14:22 AM »
going to get near 100 today, great sawing weather.

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »
Miserable here too, heat index has been 100 or higher most days the past two weeks.  This morning we got 2" of rain... relief, not really, it is supposed to hit 90 today and with the saturated ground the humidity will be oppressive.

Stay cool when you can,
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 06:27:10 PM »
Well I got a call from mtlake to remind me that I only cut 3 hours a day now in the heat. I didn't say how much I cut ::) ::)
But I do other things after we quit cutting to get ready for the next day. I've got a summer helper to unload the boards now and love it. I don't think I can run the mill without him.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 08:48:26 PM »
We have been milling up several redwood trees for a local golf course and a barn package for a rancher.

We set the shade shelter up over the control panel and the tailgate of the truck.
That helps but today I had to stop and cool little Jo down, so we called it a short day and done a site eval on the return trip.

Some big Cedars removed for a new home site and ALL logs are decked below the road with the equipment to move them long gone :-\ 

Looks like we will be cooling down into the 80's for a few day and we have a full schedule with little time for any down time ::)