alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: another over sized oak  (Read 11162 times)

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
another over sized oak
« on: July 28, 2015, 01:18:26 AM »
After being turned down by every mill advertizing on Craigslist I got a call from a frustrated wood worker wanting to get this log milled up into 1x4's for trim before fire season shut us down.

He gave me dimensions of 48" and 56" on a 13' lot.

I told him I would load up the saw and wedges and make the 85 mile drive in the morning.

I got 38" and 40" still to big to handle but no need to quarter it up so just split in half and put a flat edge on the bottom side of each half so they can stand up and staged them for the mill.

Could have milled them same day if I had brought the mill, but got that done the next day and it was a log well worth milling.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Re: another over sized oak
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:05:01 AM »
 Good job, I hate those big ones. How long did it take to spilt it, do you have a loader to help turn it as those big ones can be tough. I'm thinking on of those slabbing mills by Lucas or Peterson would be nice for those logs.   Steve

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »
I'm thinking one of those slabbing mills by Lucas or Peterson would be nice for those logs.   Steve
I am thinking you are right ;)
No equipment on this job, just used the truck to move the halves to where we could get the mill to them.
We were there 2 1/2 hours the first day, that included all the cussing and discussing, moving of the firewood pile, edging both halves and setting chains.
I am liking this saw, it is a 394xp. I just put a new 42" bar on it and had it tuned up while at the shop. It had been a bit doggy as it came from Ohio used.

The halves were heavy enough to drag the mill so chained the tail end of the mill to the truck and used the clamp to bring the halves to the loading arms. The second half hung up on the loading arm a quick trim with the saw let it slide on in and the chain turner stands the halves right up first try and positions it with ease. Even with the neighbor bringing in a hand full of maple to mill we were out of there in 3 hours with the mill. 

Offline Post Oakie

• Major Contributor
  • Wonder, the "Log Dog"
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »
Those big ones can be a real challenge, but looks like you & the mill were up to it.  Quartering (or halving) the log is always the hardest part.  Looks like maybe 800 bd ft or so in that one.  Thanks for posting.
Nothin' to it... nothin' to it, at all.  All a feller needs is a little brain and enough muscle to hold it off the ground.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 09:35:41 AM »
That oak kind of looks like it is out of my neighborhood.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 10:27:21 PM »
Scottsburg area