alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: I actually still cut wood!  (Read 11440 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
I actually still cut wood!
« on: July 28, 2015, 10:46:40 PM »
Spent most of last Saturday cutting Western Red Cedar power poles.  Cut over 30 of them and not a single piece of hardware!  

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
Re: I actually still cut wood!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:25:42 AM »
Kirk,
WRC poles cut pretty easily didn't they?  I have milled them a couple of times if the creosote-soaked bottoms have been removed. 

I am curious as to whether you cut through any holes lined with aluminum foil.  I have found quite a few where a hole was bored and a insecticide capsule had been inserted.  The foil was paper thin and sometimes there was a hole but no capsule.
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:21:03 AM »
Went through 4 blades on the 30 poles, about 1500 BF of finished lumber.  The knotty ones cut slower as the knots are hard as any hard wood I have ever cut.  Go to fast the the blade will climb over them unless its a brand new blade.

I have cut many of poles that had the insect tube in them.  Have not had any that were just holes with no insect capsule.   

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 05:13:17 PM »

I've cuts hundreds of them and yes they cut easy and make beautiful boards , We missed a nail or 2 on the outside but ran into some that were in the tree well before it was cut down. Good to hear from you again Kirk.    Steve

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:27:54 PM »
That is a good batch there.

Were they a bit dusty when milling?

I turned down milling up a batch of power poles last week, hardware hanging out in all directions ::)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 08:30:06 PM »
The power company replaced the cross arms on the high voltage lines near my home. I scampered off with them, remilled them on a band mill. Used them to set up my circular mill. I think they were dougie fir but they were the best wood I ever had on the mill no knots and real stable. They were originally 40 feet long. Frank C.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:52:11 PM »
Special grading rules in the grading book for cross arms.  They are not just different sized boards.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 08:02:03 PM »
the production mill that i worked at made a few test runs using #1 saw logs but the percentage that would make grade was to low to justify running them. Part of the reason is the mill was tooled as a high production stud mill, which was not conducive to custom milling.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 05:59:08 AM »
Kirk, I can't imagine red cedar so large they can be power poles. Back here in the northeast our reds are small and scarce. My old partner made rustic cedar furnature  so I cut a lot of it. Its hard to hold a 4" dia. log on a band mill lots of sacrificial boards. Glad your still milling some "talk the talk but walk optional". Frank C.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 08:44:23 AM »
Don't confuse eastern red cedar with western red cedar. 

Western Red Cedar is what they make poles out of and the eastern is the aromatic hope chest type cedar. 

Offline 4x4American

• Major Contributor
    • my website
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 09:26:48 PM »
That Brazilian body wave hair weave is just what I need!  Thanks qapedvix for sharing that, you definitely found the perfect target audience.
2017 LT70 Super Wide with under 10,000hrs

www.KnightSawmilling.com

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »
Western Red cedar can easily be 8' on the stump and well over 200' tall
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!